What wireless headphones do you currently use for running/working out?

2»

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    plantronics backbeat fit have been the best so far. One thing i really like that i've not seen on any other pair is that when powered up they announce how much life they have left in hours.
    My powerbeats 3 pair died after a month so wouldn't recommend them.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I have a cheap & cheerful Canbor Bluetooth wireless over the ear earbud set. Work great. Have used them over a year, almost every day, both indoor & outdoor.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Love my beats wireless
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    SLLeask wrote: »
    I was so excited when I saw this thread as I have been looking for some bluetooth earphones for when I go out walking / trotting and was confused by the myriad of choice. I eagerly looked at all the ones mentioned and I think, apart from one pair, they are all up near the £100 mark. I can't afford that!! I have only just got my head around spending that on a good pair of trainers since I am not a serious runner... :#

So, anyone got any quite cheapish ones that work okay? I'm really clumsy, have gone through so many ordinary pairs of earphones that I'm currently using some free ones I got on a Big Bus tour! I have caught them, pulled them out of my ears and stood on them, thrown them in the boot of my car, then squished them when I slammed the door, ripped off an earbud as I tried to pull them out of the bag, you get the picture... :D I do sweat quite a lot and do sometimes run in the rain but I only run / walk 10kms. I also huff and puff a lot so sound doesn't have to be concert hall quality just so I can hear it and get the beat. I also don't want noise cancelling as I run on country roads with bad bends and no pavements so I tend to only run with one ear in.

Any suggestions... please?

You may want to stick with wired headphones if you run with one ear out. Since most BT headphones have the buds connected by a wire, leaving one out would result in it flapping around and likely pulling the other side out of your ear. At the very least, get a pair that wraps over your ear to take some of the weight off of the side that you do leave in.

I know that they're not quite in your budget but the Backbeat Fits would be ideal for you. They allow ample ambient noise in, are very sweatproof, don't fall off or get pulled out of your ear because of their over-ear design, and have a more rigid/compact build than most wireless models that significantly reduces the chance of them getting caught/snagged on things.

Check out the Senso BT headphones or CB3 Fit. I haven't tried them, but they've been recommended by a number of review sites as the best budget friendly options out there.

@DX2JX2 Just seen this, thanks a million for your response. I do also wear a Camelback, so have my phone in the top back pocket, have the one earbud in over my shoulder and the other tucked into the pocket, not perfect but works kind of okay-ish. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and go for the more expensive ones if you can hear traffic too (the roads here are seriously bad in places and getting run over would really put a crimp in my day!! :dizzy: ). Oh, and I should probably learn to be more careful...! ;) Thanks again!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    This won't help you, OP, but it might help another reader. My Phaiser BT earbuds stopped taking a charge, so I sent the company an email. They responded within an hour, apologized for the trouble, and said my (free) replacement pair would be sent out 2 day shipping. Great customer service. I'm not an audiophile, so the sound is a hard one to judge. I think they sound good; a purist may not.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I was so excited when I saw this thread as I have been looking for some bluetooth earphones for when I go out walking / trotting and was confused by the myriad of choice. I eagerly looked at all the ones mentioned and I think, apart from one pair, they are all up near the £100 mark. I can't afford that!! I have only just got my head around spending that on a good pair of trainers since I am not a serious runner... :#

So, anyone got any quite cheapish ones that work okay? I'm really clumsy, have gone through so many ordinary pairs of earphones that I'm currently using some free ones I got on a Big Bus tour! I have caught them, pulled them out of my ears and stood on them, thrown them in the boot of my car, then squished them when I slammed the door, ripped off an earbud as I tried to pull them out of the bag, you get the picture... :D I do sweat quite a lot and do sometimes run in the rain but I only run / walk 10kms. I also huff and puff a lot so sound doesn't have to be concert hall quality just so I can hear it and get the beat. I also don't want noise cancelling as I run on country roads with bad bends and no pavements so I tend to only run with one ear in.

Any suggestions... please?

You may want to stick with wired headphones if you run with one ear out. Since most BT headphones have the buds connected by a wire, leaving one out would result in it flapping around and likely pulling the other side out of your ear. At the very least, get a pair that wraps over your ear to take some of the weight off of the side that you do leave in.

I know that they're not quite in your budget but the Backbeat Fits would be ideal for you. They allow ample ambient noise in, are very sweatproof, don't fall off or get pulled out of your ear because of their over-ear design, and have a more rigid/compact build than most wireless models that significantly reduces the chance of them getting caught/snagged on things.

Check out the Senso BT headphones or CB3 Fit. I haven't tried them, but they've been recommended by a number of review sites as the best budget friendly options out there.

@DX2JX2 Just seen this, thanks a million for your response. I do also wear a Camelback, so have my phone in the top back pocket, have the one earbud in over my shoulder and the other tucked into the pocket, not perfect but works kind of okay-ish. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and go for the more expensive ones if you can hear traffic too (the roads here are seriously bad in places and getting run over would really put a crimp in my day!! :dizzy: ). Oh, and I should probably learn to be more careful...! ;) Thanks again!

One benefit of spending more is that it might force you to be a bit more careful with the headset?

Before buying a pair of BT headphones, check the length of the wire between the buds. Many BT headphones use pretty short cords because they're only intended to span the distance from ear to ear. You might not have enough slack to put one bud into your camelback pocket without having it tug on the side you keep in your ear.

Wired phones are a little different because their wires are generally much longer and each bud is on it's own separate cable (that is, the buds aren't connected directly to each other).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    This won't help you, OP, but it might help another reader. My Phaiser BT earbuds stopped taking a charge, so I sent the company an email. They responded within an hour, apologized for the trouble, and said my (free) replacement pair would be sent out 2 day shipping. Great customer service. I'm not an audiophile, so the sound is a hard one to judge. I think they sound good; a purist may not.

I was also able to get a pair of headphones replaced because the battery stopped taking a charge but I will admit that it was totally my fault. Word of warning - BT headphones are really easy to overcharge because they don't have the circuitry to protect them like other devices do.

Charge the phones only until they're full and no more. Any time spent on the charger after the battery is full will overcharge it and will kill the battery very quickly. I overcharged mine a total of 3-4 times and they were dead in two months.
  • steelaxitute2127
    steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
    I love my beats. I use them running, working on the punching bag, lifting weights.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    I have a set of Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth headphones. I use them for my gym workouts as well as running. They work great, and I've never had an issue with them falling out. Battery life is pretty good, even after 2 years of daily use, about 8 hours. The go for under $100 on Amazon.

backbeat-fit-black-core.png
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    I use these Billboard bluetooth headphones I bought for $15 at Big Lots. They are fantastic!

dpyyb1ugjd16.jpg
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I stick with wired ones for now since I run with one in and one out. I just feel safer (from cars, boogeyman, etc.) with a whole ear devoted to hearing the real world.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I don't run with headphones, but for lifting I like my JBL Reflect Minis pretty well. Fit is good, sound is good, price was higher than I would have liked, but not completely preventative (for me).