FOOD Scale recomindations

Options
Hello,
Can you please recommend a food scale for me to purchase? What are the benefits, costs, where to get it and why you like it.

Thanks

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Any scale should work, as long as it has a zeroing button and can read both ounces and grams. I use the OXO Good Grips food scale, which I got from Kroger for $20.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    Any electronic scale with a TARE function should do the job. I picked up mine from the supermarket for around £15
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Get a digital scale. As long as it can read both oz and grams, it's fine. I got a cheap one at WalMart for like $13.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    At $49.95, mine is more expensive, but it has a capacity of 11 pounds, was America's Test Kitchen's top rated food scale, and I put it on my Amazon wish list and received it as a Christmas present.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display-11-Pound/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505402148&sr=8-1&keywords=xox+food+scale

They also have a model with a 5 pound capacity for half that price. The heavier one is good if you want to weigh heavy containers like a cast iron pan plus the food.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Walmart ~$15
    https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=food scale&cat_id=0
    Digital a must. Flat surface (not a bowl) nice. Treat it gently; don't bang it around.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one from target for like $11. Just pick one, it'll do the job
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I paid @ $15 for an Ozeri digital scale on Amazon. But I've heard lots of different brands that people are happy with. Make sure it has a tare function (so you can keep zeroing the weight out as you add things to the bowl on the scale so you can get the weight of each item). I'd suggest a flat surface, and it helps if the display sticks out far enough so you can read it with a dinner plate or big mixing bowl on the scale.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    At $49.95, mine is more expensive, but it has a capacity of 11 pounds, was America's Test Kitchen's top rated food scale, and I put it on my Amazon wish list and received it as a Christmas present.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display-11-Pound/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505402148&sr=8-1&keywords=xox+food+scale

They also have a model with a 5 pound capacity for half that price. The heavier one is good if you want to weigh heavy containers like a cast iron pan plus the food.

I freaking love this scale. I bought it when my first one died. Love that I can pull out the display if you have a large plate or something on the platform.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

same one i have. . the 22 pounder was just a bit more expensive than i could justify.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At the moment I have 2 cheap scales I purchased from Wal-Mart. One has a wooden surface, and that is the one I like to use.

Another, which I have here at work, is the EK5055 model of scale which I do not recommend because the weight display on it never stabilizes at a number. Any object placed on the scale will show a weight, and a few seconds later will show a lower weight. If I leave the object on the scale, it steadily loses grams at the rate of about 4 per minute.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale. $13.50 on Amazon. I like it because it weighs in oz, Lbs, Grams ML and has a tare function to back out the weight of my container