How does all this calorie counting work??

Options
Is a 1500 or less calorie intake at 278lbs good or bad. I'm trying to do low carb and low calorie.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that 1,500 calorie goal?
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My fitnesspal counter gave me 1800 but I want to drop weight and since I work out, calorie in and calorie out...so I chose to lower my intake. I'm lost lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Use the 1800 for now. That will give you room to go lower as you lose weight. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and losing on 1860 calories.

I highly suggest buying and using a food scale to insure you are eating the right amount of calories. That's the best thing I ever did for my weight loss.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    My fitnesspal counter gave me 1800 but I want to drop weight and since I work out, calorie in and calorie out...so I chose to lower my intake. I'm lost lol

Then you should eat 1800. Faster does NOT equal better in this game.

In fact, if the more you exercise, the more you should eat.

Actually, before saying that, I should ask you what weight loss goal you set for yourself....?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

MFP gave you a calorie target based on your stats and selected rate of loss...1800 would be your weight loss calorie target...

Also, the more active you are, the more calories you should be taking in.
  • nicci288693
    Options

I exercise every day both cardio and strength training. I started out cutting carbs, which cut calories significantly, it also suppresses my appitite. So how do I get more calories if I'm just not hungry?
  • nicci288693
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    1500 calories at 278? Ummmmm, no.

Follow this link:
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

Thank you :)
  • nicci288693
    Options

I exercise every day both cardio and strength training. I started out cutting carbs, which cut calories significantly, it also suppresses my appitite. So how do I get more calories if I'm just not hungry?

If your carbohydrate restriction leaves you with so little appetite that you can't consume the calories you need to support your activity, it may not be the right plan for you.

Thank you. I'm doing keto and I started out not counting calories, but figured maybe it would help. I feel great and have lots of energy. I don't feel like I'm under eating, but maybe :)
  • nicci288693
    Options

Actually, before saying that, I should ask you what weight loss goal you set for yourself....?

I started out at a little less than 300, I'm currently at 278 and want to be 200 by September 1st next year.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

If your carbohydrate restriction leaves you with so little appetite that you can't consume the calories you need to support your activity, it may not be the right plan for you.

Thank you. I'm doing keto and I started out not counting calories, but figured maybe it would help. I feel great and have lots of energy. I don't feel like I'm under eating, but maybe :)

How accurately are you logging? Are you using a food scale? One good measure is how fast you are losing weight. If after a month you are losing much more than 2 lbs per week consistently, eat more. If you are set to lose 2 lbs per week, but only losing 1 lb per week, you are eating more than you think.

Considering your stats, you don't need to eat that little to lose.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Don't necessarily go by "feeling energetic". If you are eating at too big of a deficit, the effects (bad ones) don't come initially. That's part of the reason weighing and measuring are preached so much here. It's better to know than to feel when it comes to this.

Go keto if you like. It works based on a calorie deficit. Workout however much you want to be fit. Lose weight moderately based on deficit. Eat enough to fuel your needs. Without even looking at a TDEE calculator, I am betting 1500 (at 278 lbs and exercise) isn't near enough.
  • nicci288693
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

How accurately are you logging? Are you using a food scale? One good measure is how fast you are losing weight. If after a month you are losing much more than 2 lbs per week consistently, eat more. If you are set to lose 2 lbs per week, but only losing 1 lb per week, you are eating more than you think.

Considering your stats, you don't need to eat that little to lose.

I don't accurately measure my food I'm sure. I just make sure I'm eating little to no surgar and little to no carbs. I just started counting calories a couple days ago, along with carb counting.