Second trimester of pregnancy and staying full?

Options
Now that I am in the second trimester, I am finding it so hard to stay full! Typically for breakfast I have eggs, potatoes or oatmeal, and yogurt with fruit. I'll have a mid morning snack around 10am or so. Lunch is whatever is on the hot line at work, with some sort of carb and veggie. For a lunch "dessert" I'll have some fresh fruit. I'll have a snack when I get home from work. Then dinner is whatever plan I have for the day. And many times I'll have some sort of snack before heading to bed. I'm drinking somewhere between 10-14 glasses of water, depending on activity level. It's just I'm finding it so hard to stay full. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    More vegetables and fat. Besides, maybe it's just nitpicking and you don't mean it that way, but you're not supposed to stay full. Eat enough, quality and quantity, and you'll still be hungry between meals.
  • chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My problem is that it is almost instantaneous. Like I'll be done eating what I think is a quality, well balanced, filling lunch, and within a half hour I am starving, like I hadn't eaten all day. I understand that I will not be full in the sense of what I've eaten in the past. I'm trying not to increase my calories eaten too much per day too, as I know that I should not be gaining an obscene amount of weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I see, when you feel starving compared to pre-pregnancy, I can understand it's difficult. It looks like you're eating well - and I assume you're given professional advice regarding calorie intake and weight gain, and not expecting twins without being aware of it and in reality needing more food... Maybe you could try (I know I'm repeating the suggestion of fat&vegs) to have vegetables and fat and protein for all meals and snacks? And make sure you eat different foods through the day and from day to day - all foods have a little different range of nutrition, and we need a good mix.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I assume you are eating at maintenance plus 300ish? Maybe you just aren't eating enough. See when I was pregnant I used it as an excuse to eat aaallllllllll the food and gained like 60 lbs. lol.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Are you on a calorie restriction or just hungrier than normal? Assuming that your doctor is OK with your weight, add more calories. Baby has to eat!
  • chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    No calorie restriction at all, not on bed rest, definitely not twins, I'm eating at maintenance or a bit more. I work out three times a week (following doctor restrictions there). Maybe an appointment with the OB practice's nutritionist is in order. Baby very much love fruits and vegetables, so I can easily add in that. I cannot really stomach peanut butter at the moment, or I would definitely be eating some of that too. I think it is just hungrier than normal in all honesty.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Take a close look at anything that you're eating with any kind of regularity, maybe it's causing acid reflux/messing with the pH/isn't sitting well with you.

I've never been pregnant so can't speak to your case specifically, but I have some foods that mess with my tummy when eaten alone. If I eat a raw apple, I'll be STARVING about 10 minutes later. I don't think it's actual hunger, but maybe the way raw apples react with my stomach acid/mess with pH. Maybe there's something in your diet that you're not handling as well as you did before pregnancy.

And of course, make sure you're getting enough calories. You're making a little one, and that sure is hard work!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, by the time you are in your 3rd trimester everything is so squished you won't be able to eat much in one sitting. Or breath.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The second trimester hungries are a thing, and you feel them in your soul. My last pregnancy I'm pretty sure that I ate nearly every hour on the hour for a few weeks. I did lots of raw veggies, fruits, and ate a whole bunch of dry honey nut cheerios. Like... should have bought stock.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When i was carrying my twins, second tri had me eating constantly (with nausea and bad reflux). I ate as much protein as i could handle but that was advised for the twinnage and nausea issue.
    I would sometimes eat breakfast, get on the train to work - an hour commute- at my stop i would have wee 15678 for the day, have a mcd's bacon egg muffin for the walk to work (sometimes another when i got to work) and by 10am i was out of the office to buy a ham n cheese sandwich to put in the press in the break room at work.

One issue - turned out to be part of getting gestational diabetes. At my prenatal appts i would take a bag of almonds, dried dates, an apple and a water bottle. In case it was an hour or so between meals. :D
  • marshageroli
    marshageroli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im not sure the calories you are consuming with each sit down, but are you sure you're eating enough? You should be able to eat an extra 350 calories a day( I believe) on top of maintenance. I am a horrible example when it comes to eating healthy and pregnancy. I usually gain 50+ pounds because I get this horrible taste in my mouth that food is the only remedy for, plus the nausea that gets better with eating ): maybe up your calories and see what happens. Good luck! Pregnancy can be tough!