If you were running a marathon tomorrow, what would you eat today and tomorrow before the race?

Options
2»

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The night before long training runs thus far has been heavy on both sodium and carbs, which had been suggested to me by randos I encounter on the courses I run. This has seemed to work thus far. Though I can report that after about the 8 mile mark I start to encounter a dull pain on the left side of my stomach on occasion. About every other long run or so. It's not anything that hinders my running really. More annoying than anything else.

What I have also noticed is that, for whatever reason, some days I am just stronger and faster than others, even when it appears all other factors are equal. I have never been able to figure out why this is, but I just know some days I am just in the zone and running is as easy to me as breathing. On others I have to work at it more.

Don't overlook your potassium too.

As to having some days better than others.....welcome to being a runner. Everyone goes through that. There are so many factors that come into play it's almost impossible to ever have all other things being equal. The two biggest factors that seem to affect how I feel are temperature and how well / how much I've slept (you can control most of the other variable more)

If only I could plan the days when I am "in the zone", so to speak. I have been running long enough now I have even tried to dissect what was so special about the days when my strength and endurance seemed limitless and I have not come up with anything. For some inexplicable reason, I was just on fire that day.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I follow the same general eating plan during the week leading up to a long race, whether running or triathlon. Early in the week I focus on eating plenty of greens (arugula, aka, "rocket lettuce") and drinking enough water to be sure I'm eliminating on a regular basis.

I don't go crazy with "carb loading" prior to a race, but I do be sure to eat a normal amount of carbs on Friday night and again on Saturday morning if my race day is Sunday. Then I eat a light lunch and fairly bland food for dinner so I don't have any stomach issues on race day.

For breakfast on race day, I'm looking for simple carbs to provide quick energy, so a plain bagel with honey or peanut butter, half a banana, plus coffee is typical for me. Depending on race day temps, I might consume a gel and water during the run, or if its hot, maybe a liquid fuel with some electrolytes.

Good luck in your race!

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The night before long training runs thus far has been heavy on both sodium and carbs, which had been suggested to me by randos I encounter on the courses I run. This has seemed to work thus far. Though I can report that after about the 8 mile mark I start to encounter a dull pain on the left side of my stomach on occasion. About every other long run or so. It's not anything that hinders my running really. More annoying than anything else.

If it's a muscle cramp (rather than a side stitch), make sure you are getting adequate potassium and magnesium along with the sodium.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So far I've made sure to eat an extra snack before bed. I don't eat before running except for a bit of coffee and the second time I discovered I don't need to fuel during the run. I just drink diluted Gatorade. Note, this is for a half marathon. I've never run more than that.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    For a half I wouldn't eat anything different, but as I've my third full marathon day after tomorrow I'm definitely thinking about my food a bit. But not too much. I just end up doing whatever really.
    I haven't had breakfast (or coffee!!!!) yet today due to rushing to kinder drop off, but am gonna go split a bowl of Bircher with my 3 year old now. Tonight will be the usual Friday night burger and beer *without* the 16km run to justify it. Tomorrow will be similar, breakfast out, then a busy day of travelling interstate with two young kids (and probably not eating much), picking up my bib, getting to the accomodation, etc. we've booked dinner at a kid friendly Italian restaurant in the city so I anticipate a nice bowl of pasta and maybe some gelato.
    Breakfast is a protein bar and toast. Afterwards I can guarantee I won't be eating solid food till nightfall.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Before a marathon, I like to eat my biggest meal at lunchtime the day before (or around 2 pm) rather than at dinnertime. That makes sure I'm not feeling loaded down. Dinner is then something light like a sandwich or eggs and toast. That big meal has carbs of some sort - whether pasta, or meat/fish and potato or chicken and rice. I try to avoid a lot of fat and fiber, because both can cause problems. Not too much sugar either.

Breakfast is either cereal or a bagel two hours before the race and a banana or juice 1/2 hour before. Not too much sugar for me. I have a friend who eats donuts and Mountain Dew for her pre-race breakfast. She's done 30 marathons on that.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Air Force marathon Saturday. My 39th 26.2. I'll eat about 1750 calories on Friday - oatmeal, salad and fruit for lunch, subway veggie sub for supper and may snack on broccoli and an apple. Race morning - 1 cup old fashioned oats plain. During the race 3 or 4 gels, fruit if on course, fluids.

For a half, I would probably eat the same pre race day. Most distance runners eat sufficient carbs to store enough glycogen for runs about 15-17 miles. Carb loading is enjoyable, but greatly exaggerated.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Pasta the night before and a protein bar and banana the day of. Pasta makes my muscles feel like they can do anything