Do you think you gain weight if you eat later in the day.

Options
Hello

I have never been much of a breakfast eater and sometimes i am eating very little at lunchtime, maybe some fruit and a cereal bar but i have bigger meals in the evening, do you think this is bad for me.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,847 Member
    Options
    No.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    not if you're not in a calorie surplus...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No...
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cico; in short weight is affected by how much you eat, compared to how much you burn (over a 24hr period). Timing of meals or how many meals &/or snacks, is irrelevant to most people. Many people (but I couldn't) follow 1 meal a day and it works for them. BUT for your health and not just weight loss, you need to insure you balance nutrition and have at least the minimum healthy calorie target, each day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    No. I lost all my weight not eating until later in the day, and most calories at night.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Nope lost almost 40lbs and normally don't eat dinner until 9pm
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi! I eat pretty much all of my calories between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. and could not lose weight until I started doing that!

You may be "intermittent fasting" and not even know it! Check out this group, there's lots of information in the stickies at the top :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    No. What causes weight gain from eating later in the day is usually the type of food people go for i.e. high fat, low in nutrients (fast food, chips, cookies, etc.)

Your body isn't going to say, 'I'm eating a salad, but it's after 7pm, better just go ahead and store these veggies as fat.'
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Yes...millions of years of evolution has resulted in humans needing to stop eating at a certain time...

Kidding of course...but really, no...if you need XXXX calories to maintain your weight and you eat XXXX calories, you will maintain your weight regardless of when you eat them...when you eat less than that, you will lose weight regardless of when you eat them.

I eat dinner every night at around 8:30 and it's typically my biggest actual meal.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Nope, wont affect weight loss although I seem to recall that eating a large meal right before bed might disturb your sleep.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    No.
    The end.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. What makes you think calories would be different at different times of day? A calorie is a calorie no matter what time it is. Too many calories cause weight gain - not what time you consume them.
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    No, I eat dinner at 9-10 PM and I've lost 13 lbs in three weeks. CICO.
  • fabulous1690
    fabulous1690 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight for eating later in the day because what matters is how many calories you eat. As long as you stay within your daily calorie limit you can't physically gain weight. I'm a nurse and therefore work long shifts. Which for me means that my last meal of the day for me can be either about half 9 in the evening after a day shift or the same time in the morning after a night shift. Now most people can go to bed without eating but I can't sleep on a empty stomach. And I haven't gained weight because of this eating pattern because I still stay within my daily allowance. The only difference is that I where others are having breakfast I might be having dinner and vice versa. It's all about what amount of calories you eat within each 24hr period. I didn't gain weight because of my meal timing but rather because I would eat too much of a good thing.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat you won't gain weight over a long period of time. Yes if you have something at 10:00 at night get up at 6 and weigh yourself you may weigh a little more but it's only a temporary weight gain it's not real weight gain.

I basically eat from the time I get up to the time I go to bed