Something besides peanut butter, please ...

Options

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Light cream cheese? Sugar-free jam? Sub the muffin for a bagel thin or sandwich thin? If you're in the US, Trader Joe's has something called "Better than Peanut Butter" that has half the calories! I'm enjoying that. :)

I found some peanut butter at the grocery store called "betternpeanutbutter". A little less sweet than regular peanut butter - 100 calories per 2 tbls
  • abigailhutch
    Options
    What about maybe the Laughing Cow cheese wedges? They are 35 calories per wedge and they have 7 flavors now!!!!
    http://www.thelaughingcow.com/

Sometimes I like to just scramble an egg in the microwave (I use a small bowl so that it ends up the perfect size for the muffin) and have that with avocado or cheese!
    Super Yummy!
    Good luck!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    my fav is an avocado, or tomatoes and basil and a little mozzarella :)

mmmm.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that Nutella stuff, but I have not tried it. It may be less calories. It's supposed to be some type of chocolate-hazelnut spread.

Nutella is 200 calories per 2 tbls

And you will want to eat the entire jar of it in one sitting, making it about 8000 calories!
  • rhenneberry
    Options
    I have been using Laughing Cow cheese wedges inplace of butter on my toast. Ony 35 - 50 calories per serving. It sort of tastes like cream cheese. I add some jelly on top to make it taste even yummier. Check it out.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I like english muffins with cream cheese or with apple butter......both are much lower cal than PB.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of PB, one because It's great, but the other reason is depending on your nutrition goals its a great food. A little high in fat, but it also has protein and fiber and if you make your own in a food processor you can control some of the fat and sugar. plus its fun to shell'em together watching a show or get the kids involved they learn and it's a great forum for interaction with the munchkins.
    Avacodo is another great food that might be a good swap. 14 grams fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
  • kmad16
    kmad16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about lowfat cottage cheese with a chopped pear and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of that english muffin. You will get your protein, carbs and fiber for about the same calories and it should hold you over until your next meal.:wink:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Just use 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and go for sugar-free jelly (Polaner All Fruit makes one w/ fiber for 10 calories). :bigsmile: And the laughing cow cheese wedges are amazing! You could make your own under 200 calorie McMuffin w/ a Thomas' light english muffin (100 cals) a laughing cow cheese wedge (35 cals) and canadian bacon (60 cals for 3 slices).

Although personally I need more than 200 calories for breakfast. Add some cottage cheese (80 cals for 1/2 cup) for more protein also or Greek yogurt and fruit.
  • wanderson99
    Options
    I use Almond Butter on 35 calorie wheat bread. The Almond Butter is really good.

I second this! Almond Butter is really good! A great alternative.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    mini pizzas that the only thing I could think of (some sauce, spinach, mushrooms and fat free feta cheese yummmy!!) because I hate breakfast foods :(
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Butter on 35 calorie wheat bread. The Almond Butter is really good.

I second this! Almond Butter is really good! A great alternative.

mmmmmm almond butter :love:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1/8 th cup melted 2% cheddar and 1 or 2 egg whites.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something to add protein (which I assume is why you have been choosing peanut butter instead something with few calories but less nutritional value), I would suggest an egg. You can fry the egg in pam, add a little fat free miracle whip and have a nice egg sandwich.

Or - what I usually do is Kashi Go Lean cereal. It's got 13 g of protein (more protein than 2 eggs) and 10 g fiber. Add 1% milk and you've got a bit more protein! It's not a sugary cereal, but it really is good if you want to try something different.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little bit of tuna? Mix some up with some light mayo, mustard, lemon juice, onions, and celery. Slap it on a toasted English muffin and you have a fast, high protein, low cal meal!
  • kjpollard
    Options
    I have the same exact thing for breakfast and I actually measured out my PB. Have you ever done that? Because a serving is usually 2 tbsp and honestly, that is a LOT of PB. I can get away with one TBSP and its about 185 for my muffin ( I use the 90 cal sara lee ones) and 1 tbsp of peanut butter.

I agree. If I'm low on protien for the day, I will often get a teaspoon from the drawer and get a spoon of peanut butter, which ends up being about 1 TBSP. HTH.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

I have so many great suggestions that I have written down now! Thanks again, friends!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact thing for breakfast and I actually measured out my PB. Have you ever done that? Because a serving is usually 2 tbsp and honestly, that is a LOT of PB. I can get away with one TBSP and its about 185 for my muffin ( I use the 90 cal sara lee ones) and 1 tbsp of peanut butter.

THIS!
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    nut butters! I eat almond butter almost every morning. You should try other breakfast ideas as well like greek yogurt and rolled oats. I added a tablespoon of almond butter and a banana to a oats this morning. It usually keeps me full and energized until lunch time. Protein tends to keep me feeling full much longer anyways, maybe try an egg with your muffin?