Trail Mix Combination Ideas

Options
I've become disillusioned with granola bars, etc. but easily portable finger foods're a necessity, because I've to walk/take the bus & must've food with me, at all times; since I am hypoglycemic! Thank you immensely!

Replies

• ona1990
    ona1990 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here's an example that I make. Unsalted mixed nuts (no peanuts), banana chips and pretzels. This container is about 170cals . And everything came from a bulk bin so you can buy only what you need.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic also. I always carry a baggie of almonds in my purse. Sometimes a protein bar or a Fiber One bar.
  • CaloricCountess
    CaloricCountess Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ona1990 wrote: »
    Here's an example that I make. Unsalted mixed nuts (no peanuts), banana chips and pretzels. This container is about 170cals . And everything came from a bulk bin so you can buy only what you need.

That's great, I love pretzels! B)
  • CaloricCountess
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic also. I always carry a baggie of almonds in my purse. Sometimes a protein bar or a Fiber One bar.

I also carry, chew~able glucose tablets!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I like dried cherries, almonds and dark chocolate pieces.
  • CaloricCountess
    Options
    I like dried cherries, almonds and dark chocolate pieces.

I am making a list & checking it twice, like Santa Clause lol! :D
  • JudiSchneider1
    JudiSchneider1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I made my own mix. Used the nuts I liked: walnuts, almonds, shelled pumpkin seeds, dried cherries, dried cranberries. I carry them in snack baggies where ever I go. Even visiting because they don't always serve 'good' stuff. As soon as I get the $'s together, I'd like to get a machine to cut, slice, and spiralize my veggies for cooking. I have no kitchen machines, and the knife and I don't get along well. Good Luck to everyone working on a goal. Including me. Js

• CaloricCountess
    Options
    I made my own mix. Used the nuts I liked: walnuts, almonds, shelled pumpkin seeds, dried cherries, dried cranberries. I carry them in snack baggies where ever I go. Even visiting because they don't always serve 'good' stuff. As soon as I get the $'s together, I'd like to get a machine to cut, slice, and spiralize my veggies for cooking. I have no kitchen machines, and the knife and I don't get along well. Good Luck to everyone working on a goal. Including me. Js

I like pumpkin seeds, I'll be getting 1 of those devices also; good luck!
  • melissamae05
    melissamae05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy making my own as well. I know Trader Joe's sells little pre-packaged trail mix bags that are portioned for connivence. Trader Joe's also has a large selection of nuts, dried fruits, and seeds, to make your own. My personal favorite are cashews, shelled pistachios, macadamia nuts, pepitas, cranberries, dried cherries, dried coconut slices, and dark chocolate as well if I know it will not melt. I try to opt for unsweetened dried fruit if possible.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I can tell you a combo not to include. When I was in middle and high school I used to go on camping trips with Camp Fire. We had to budget and plan our food. Once we put both skittles and m&ms in the gorp. Not a good combo.
  • CaloricCountess
    Options
    I really enjoy making my own as well. I know Trader Joe's sells little pre-packaged trail mix bags that are portioned for connivence. Trader Joe's also has a large selection of nuts, dried fruits, and seeds, to make your own. My personal favorite are cashews, shelled pistachios, macadamia nuts, pepitas, cranberries, dried cherries, dried coconut slices, and dark chocolate as well if I know it will not melt. I try to opt for unsweetened dried fruit if possible.

Coconut's a great idea!
  • CaloricCountess
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I can tell you a combo not to include. When I was in middle and high school I used to go on camping trips with Camp Fire. We had to budget and plan our food. Once we put both skittles and m&ms in the gorp. Not a good combo.

That's going to be the problem, figuring combinations & amounts, that aren't grotesque tasting!
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Dry cherries, Almonds, Pumkin seeds (Pepitas), chex cereal, Pretzels, dark chocolate bits, cashews , raisins
  • CaloricCountess
    Options
    boulank wrote: »
    Dry cherries, Almonds, Pumkin seeds (Pepitas), chex cereal, Pretzels, dark chocolate bits, cashews , raisins

I've Multi~Grain Cheerios, to add; to mine!
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I make my kids snack mix using healthier cereal instead of buying the packaged snack mixes and they love chex and cheerios in it.
  • CaloricCountess
    edited September 2017
    Options

I make my kids snack mix using healthier cereal instead of buying the packaged snack mixes and they love chex and cheerios in it.

I wasn't a fan, of trail mixes; mainly because they looked gross & they always had something, within them; that I dislike but at my apartment complex's annual Resident Appreciation Day, they were making; their own & it was okay! I only tried it because it had sunflower kernels & I love sunflower kernels by themselves, so it gave me the idea; to try to create my own!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Unsalted Roasted Almonds ( I roast them myself as it's much cheaper), Pepitas, dried pineapple, sunflower seeds, roasted chickpeas.
  • CaloricCountess
    Options
    Unsalted Roasted Almonds ( I roast them myself as it's much cheaper), Pepitas, dried pineapple, sunflower seeds, roasted chickpeas.

For me the most expensive items're dried fruits, you get such a little amount of them; for so much money!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nuts, dried fruit and M&M's.

All commerially sold trail mixes contain one or more of these. Use the nuts/fruit of your choice. Cut up the fruit into small nut sized pieces. Use the ratio of each as you prefer.

Add water and beef jerky and you could survive on a long trek just on that.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

mteuqgecwkk0.jpg