2700 Calories is totally insane!

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the soup too, it's really filling and most are low calorie. I'd also not worry about "healthy", it requires context and for you, calories are the main requirement for health at the moment. So get more fattier cuts of meats, all lamb, chicken thighs and legs, higher fat ground beef. Then make a switch for things like full fat milk (if you like it, it's not a switch I could make for things like cereal) and add in things like chocolate, ice cream, nuts, pizza etc. Cooking with more oil is also an easy way to add calories to meals.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Try drinking your calories too, have a smoothie or juice or whole milk with your meals, you can even add some blobs of peanut butter to your cereal
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hyper-palatable calorie-dense foods can be your friend if having a hard time with low appetite. If you need to eat something but aren't feeling like eating, at least grab a candy bar or something that you might have a bit more of an appetite for. or peanut butter with nutella. or something along those lines.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sorry you've had a rough go, but yea, your height &weight, you need to eat a lot more. The good news is you're going to be able to eat a lot of calorie dense and tasty things. A lot have already been said, ice cream, pb, full fat dairy.
  • Jockamo319
    Jockamo319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest helps for me was to start taking in calories the moment I wake up. If I wait till lunch to start eating, its really hard for me to catch up. Even on a budget and with a tight schedule with no time for a nice big breakfast, you can have a bagel with butter and cream cheese, a big glass of milk, and a banana as you go out the door. It's much easier to hit 2,700 if you get 600 or 700 out of way right off the bat, at least for me.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're still interested in enlisting, I would suggest recruiter shopping. Colorblindness is not a hard bar to enlistment(it's waiverable if the recruiter wants to do the extra work), as there are duties that do not require normal color vision.
  • sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree that cooking a batch of food on Sunday that you can reheat and eat throughout the week could be really helpful. Home cooked food is much cheaper than processed or fast food, and way healthier too. Most processed frozen foods and fast foods are empty calories that lack nutrition. If you are underfeeding your body, that means that in addition to being low on calories, your body is also low on nutrients, vitamins, amino acids, etc. It's better for your long term health to gain weight by eat nutritious calorie dense food (nuts, cheese, meat, nut butter, granola), rather than unhealthy foods that are full of calories but lack nutrition (fast foods, processed foods, processed frozen foods, chips, sugary cereals, desserts).

I suggest you pick up a cookbook for beginning cooks. You can buy something used from Amazon, I'm sure. You may find that cooking for yourself is therapeutic and good for your mental health too! You will be amazed at how cheap and rewarding cooking your own food can be. And some day, when you meet someone special who you want to impress or you have friends over, you will have the skills to create something excellent for them.

Here are some book suggestions:

Good and Cheap- Leanne Brown (probably the best book for your current place in life)
    The Basics: A Really Useful Cook Book- Anthony Telford
    The Hungry Student Cookbook : 200+ Quick and Simple Recipes
    The I Don't Know How To Cook Book: 300 Great Recipes You Can't Mess Up!-Mary Lane Kamberg
    Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking- Marcella Hazan (My personal favorite, I think everyone should own this book)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Ice cream. Full fat sauces/dips/condiments.

Agreed 1000%. Peanut Butter is a load of calories. Most people will put between 2-4tbsp on a sandwich (I'd put more on if I could get away with it lol). That's easily 200-400 calories in a single sandwich. Full fat ice cream is also bonkers on calories. Dressings on salads will help too, just eat the creamiest fattiest ones (you know, the ones that taste the best lol). All of those things don't add a ton of bulk but are high in calories. Try cookie butter, it's amazing and has even more calories most of the time than peanut butter.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Incorporate sometime like an Ensure or other drink to add the extra calories without having to eat all the time.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was honestly just like you when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I ate. I swear I did, but I didn't know I wasn't eating enough, and I didn't really get hungry enough to make a difference. Plus I was active, not working out but just busy as heck.

I second eating nuts. They don't fill you up, can be eaten mindlessly and add up quick. Add peanut butter to your breakfast. I also did weight gain shakes with ice cream once a day, which helped.

I wish I had known what I know now about calories. I would eat a can of soup with crackers and think I'd eaten so much.

If it makes you feel better, this too shall pass. I'm now 37 and need to lose. I can't win.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Ice cream. Full fat sauces/dips/condiments.

this. plus banana milkshakes if you like it (full fat milk). occasional 'junk food' (pizza, etc.)
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Shakes of any kind are a good idea. Drinking calories isn't as filling as eating them, and also more portable. Just whip up a protein shake, one with a balance of carbs and fat rather than an IsoPure type protein bomb, before you walk out the door. Probably won't fill you up, but it'll add some good calories into your diet without too much fuss.
  • AlexDalton1998
    AlexDalton1998 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

might want to contact the foster care agency that you aged out of and ask, or do a google search for your area. If you already are in a transitional program, my advice would be to focus on getting as much education as you can while you are getting some services. You were dealt a raw deal with not having parents to care for you and help you transition into adulthood. It sucks, but you really need to look at the rest of you life as your plan and being in your control. Unfortunately, you are going to have to take care of yourself. It will be easier if you decide to empower yourself with your own ability to create an amazing future. You have a lot of life ahead of you and I want you to believe that you can make it a wonderful life. You can. You just have to believe it.

• Deadships
    Deadships Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Milk, Nuts & Nut Butter (Peanut Butter being my favorite).

I just started personally, but if you can afford it, get a Whey supplement and make shakes with them. Usually I'd do Milk+1 scoop Whey+1 tbsp Peanut Butter (Natural or not, I use Skippy :P)+Oats+A squeeze of Honey in the morning for example if I'm feeling lazy to make breakfast. Just blend that all up, and gulp it down. You can also just throw in a banana. Some would recommend freezing it up over night, but I just peel it up and throw it in w/o freezing it.

And probably the same shake before bed - the Oats & a handful of nuts or a banana as a nighttime snack an hour or so before bed. Hopefully I'm not giving wrong advice, but that's usually what I do.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Take it day by day when getting up to your goal calories. Some days you'll hit it and others you'll wonder why you didn't and not care. I only eat when hungry, too, and a lot of times when I am hungry I find myself too busy to eat for hours.

Every week I grab some snack bags, a block of cheese, and then I chop up quick snacks that are over 100 kcal. Also, many grocers have "snack bars" that are 120-150 calories and they don't seem like much at first but they're easy to eat and they're not that filling so those are easy filler foods for you. Calories in drinks are another good option to sneak something in and those can be relatively inexpensive, too. Just adding that each day can get you another 3-500 easy calories.

For lunches, try using pizza dough to make little strombolis to keep in the freezer and grab when you're out the door. I did that for my honey and a lot of them were an easy 700 calories that he warmed in the microwave and enough for a whole month was less than $40 usually.

A little prep each evening can go a long way for you the next day. Good luck!
  • Elder00033
    Elder00033 Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I started at 130lbs when i use this apps,my goal was 170 at first,this apps advice me to have 2700 calories intake per day,for 4 weeks i gain 10lbs,Oats as my morning & afternoon snacks and lots of carbs during meals,workout every other day,chest&triceps legs,back&biceps legs,shoulder&abs legs no cardio..
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice above. I'd like to add (apologies if it's already been said) : are you weighing your food ? When I started weighing I realised i was eating less than I thought. Also as someone already mentioned , I find it helps to log food in the morning when possible,as it gives me an idea of whether I'm likely to be under my goal and need to fit in a couple of snacks. And I find eating 4 or 5 smaller meals/snacks is easier for me than 3 big meals.