Posting weight loss pics

I've lost 71.4 lbs as of today. I sometimes post my weight loss journey on my FB page. Now, they all now ask, "Lets see some pics" or "show us"...things like that. Am I the only one that think that's kind of rude??? It's like they want "proof" or something. I DO NOT like to take pictures of myself. I never have. I feel when I'm confident enough, I might. I have about 35-45 pounds to go. Haven't decided lol. Anyhoo, thoughts? And what can I tell them without sounding 'pissy' about it?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    You should take pictures often, no matter what your confidence level.
    Pictures are documentation, and if you had been taking them you would be able to visually see how you've progressed. I'm not a fan of taking pics of myself but no longer protest when someone (usually the misses) does.
  • shnookie70
    shnookie70 Posts: 91 Member
    I'm sure they just want to be able to tell you that you look great. But if you aren't comfortable yet, just say so. That's not rude and people should understand and respect that. And if they don't: *unfriend*
  • BootyfulBikerZX10r
    BootyfulBikerZX10r Posts: 72 Member
    edited September 2017
    I understand that feeling. If they are your friends they should be excited for your journey, don't you think? The only thing I don't like about posting on FB is everyones opinions on what I am doing. You only know what kind of friends you have. I have a healthy mix of Keto, Macro, body builders, average joes, and I am not posting pics because I really don't want to explain my routine or myself or my decisions. Its up to you there is no right or wrong. My aunt recently lost 100lbs she NEVER posted pics and flat out refused anyone take a pic of her. She just shocked everyone at the family reunion. Its YOUR journey, choice. Whats that saying, those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter. Good luck! Weightloss is personal. You don't owe anything to anyone. period.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    "I am not comfortable posting pictures on Facebook"

Also you should take pictures for you so you can look back on them and see how far you've come
  • pjlynne
    pjlynne Posts: 9 Member
    I dont even have a "before" pic. I really didn't think I'd get this far. Guess I "take a pic" just for me....lol Thanks everyone! B)
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    pjlynne wrote: »
    I dont even have a "before" pic. I really didn't think I'd get this far. Guess I "take a pic" just for me....lol Thanks everyone! B)

Take one for yourself. After losing weight, I was still surprised to see my full length reflection in a door as I was walking into work one day. I thought..wow.. is that slim person reallyme?? It felt really good!
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    I would just ask them to join me on a work out and tell them that I'm shy posting belly pix online. Chances are none of them would come work out and I can 'bug' them about it if they dare to ask for picture proof again.
    Personally, I don't share my weight loose thing on social media for a peace of mind. Can't expect people to be the perfect cheer leaders.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    "I am not comfortable posting pictures on Facebook"

Also you should take pictures for you so you can look back on them and see how far you've come

I agree. Photos are good for you to see the difference in your body and to see what you've achieved and they should only be shared if that's what you want to do and that's what you feel comfortable with. I once had a friend on MFP who demanded everyone on his friends list add a photo per month so that he could see we were losing weight haha. What a weirdo. He got defriended pretty swiftly... Creepy McCreeperson.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited September 2017
    Just say you're not comfortable posting progress pics. It is ALL your decision and your business.

I posted ONE time on facebook about my progress, because it marked 1 year on MFP and I'd lost like 80-ish pounds by then. I had a photo of myself at a car show in 2013 and then at the same show in 2014. People commented favorably, but among the "way to go" were dozens of comments offering "help" like workouts I could try and shakes, vitamins, and essential oils I should buy. I was VERY upset and angry and decided nope, never sharing that stuff again. I take feedback too personally.

So I don't talk about it now. Sometimes people say "wow you have lost a lot or "man you look great" if I happen to post some vacation photo or someone tags me in a full body shot, and I appreciate those comments. But I'm not going to be so open about it. It's all just a matter of preference, personality, etc.

I am down by 130 lb from my heaviest weight, and most people who don't know me well have "decided" I had weight loss surgery (nope) or am such an avid bicyclist/runner (nope)...they don't believe me when I say it's CICO and hiking. Their problem, not mine.

You don't OWE anyone a photo of yourself ever.
  • CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    I have a before pic and omg it's so gross. I didn't realize I even looked like that. I'm glad I have the pic but will not post it on Facebook it's too embarrassing that I even let myself get to that point.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Stop posting about your loss on FB then they won't ask. I agree about taking progress pics for your personal reference. You don't have to show them to anyone, but someday you might..
  • pjlynne
    pjlynne Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for all your suggestions and input. I haven't mentioned anything on FB, since I asked about this. (I'm down 77.4 lbs now, since Dec.28 by the way) Guess I don't have prove anything to anyone! :smile: Thanks all!