Calorie CHEAP Salad Dressing?

Options
So, here's the thing. I'm not a salad person, never have been. Always makes me think of rabbits eating lettuce, lol.

However, I can eat leafy salads if I take away the bland taste with a nice dressing. Tried it today, mixed leaves with French dressing. Tasted good! I want to get in to the habit of eating some form of salad at least once a day with a meal, BUT, it has to taste good too. Because this is not a diet for me, yes I need to lose weight, but also want to change some of my eating habits too. And I'm only willing to change what I can sustain long term.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms is only 35-40 calories per serving.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Salads can easily become a calorie bomb if you are not careful, so add some fun things to them but track them carefully to make sure they are not getting too crazy. For dressings, I have tried several Bolthouse varieties, which are yogurt-based and much lower calorie. I especially love the Avocado Cilantro dressing, and you could also add some salsa or black bean salsa, avocado, a sprinkling of Mexican cheese or queso fresco, some grilled chicken, and have a really delicious and not-too-rabbity dish.

Or you can just cut some veg and dip it in the Bolthouse if you decide you really aren't a salad person.

Or you can grill or roast the veggies and lightly dress them with a vinaigrette (I like balsamic) if you decide you really, really, really aren't a salad person.

(We have 4 rabbits, so I know exactly what you mean, with their little furry lips and buck teeth gnawing through the lettuce leaf like a buzz saw!)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    This is my FAVORITE dressing. 45calories for 2T. Does NOT taste like most "light" dressings. I use it to dip cucumbers, carrots, celery in as well.
    6wumf7pmcwbw.jpg
  • fabulous1690
    fabulous1690 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks guy I didn't think about being able to dip. Hence why I avoid vegetables. But if I can make them taste of something I will be tempted to eat more veggies too. Appreciate your input.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Another vote for any of the Bolthouse dressings (in the refrigerated section). My husband loves the Blue Cheese, and he normally doesn't like "diet" stuff.

Panera Light Poppyseed is also delicious - especially on spinach with some berries. And Olive Garden Light Italian is tasty. Both are under 45 cals per serving.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Also, people forget about the frozen section, and all the root vegetables.

Like rutabaga, parsnip, kohlrabi, yams, and sweet potatoes. Try them julienned as finger foods.

Then there's the squashes, pumpkins, zucchini, and courgettes.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If you are looking for a CHEAP dressing, try making your own. Guaranteed fresh.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lemon-vinaigrette-5763
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Also, technically a vegetable:

pumpkin-mousse5-1-of-1.jpg

http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-mousse-ww-105421

I ran this through recipe builder. 178 calories a serving.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Also, people forget about the frozen section, and all the root vegetables.

Like rutabaga, parsnip, kohlrabi, yams, and sweet potatoes. Try them julienned as finger foods.

Then there's the squashes, pumpkins, zucchini, and courgettes.

Roasted root veggies with garlic are THE BEST! (especially with butternut squash thrown in too). They are packed with nutrients and the roasting brings out the natural sweetness. And that way OP can envision herself as a furry little vole, gnawing away in a snug little burrow, instead of a bunny. :D

That mousse looks fan-freakin'-tastic--I bet it would be spectacular with a bit of a graham cracker crust or a crushed gingersnap sprinkled on it.

• fabulous1690
    Options
    I like garlic. Thank you for the great idea!

Keep em coming guys, I need all the suggestions I can get.

Any suggestions on which kind of lettuce is tastiest?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

My favorite lettuce is butter lettuce.
  • shiatt1
    shiatt1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kraft Roasted Red Pepper
  • French_Peasant
    Options

My favorites are romaine and spring mix, depending on the kind of salad I want to make. I like spring mix for one with nuts, dried cranberries, raisins, chopped apples or pears, crumbled goat cheese, and a honey-apple cider vinegar dressing.

Also, here is another easy and low calorie dressing that you can make at home. I like this on romaine with some chopped chicken breast and oregano and dill: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/yogurt-and-lemon-dressing-364871

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms everything. The blue cheese is excellent, and the honey mustard is a close second. I can't tell any difference between them and "normal" dressing.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I think "tasty" and "lettuce" is a highly subjective thing. I rate lettuce by its relative bitterness.

Least bitter:
    Fresh from the community garden, iceberg, leaf, and butterhead

Most bitter:
    Arugula, radiccio
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like the Hidden Valley Greek yogurt dressings. I personally like the spinach and feta flavor as well as cucumber dill. I usually use spinach as the base for my salads or I'll get a bag of romaine or mixed baby greens. I'm not overly into kale, but I do have one salad recipe that uses shredded Brussels sprouts and kale as the base.
  • fabulous1690
    Options
    Ok it's official. I dislike raw red cabbage and grated carrots and mango,chilli and lime dressing
  • sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I make my own. It's so simple, and honestly tastes way better than store bought to me. You can change it up by adding things like dijon mustard, different types of vinegars, herbs, garlic, fresh tomato, anchovy, ginger, etc.

Here is the basic template:

1/2 cup vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Pinch of sugar
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or less, if your tastebuds will let you get away with it; you can use other oils, like grape seed or vegetable)

Stick it in a jar and shake. Lasts forever in the fridge.

Change the flavor profile by adding variations that suit your meal:
    -garlic/lemon juice/dijon mustard/anchovy=traditional
    -fresh smashed tomato/balsamic vinegar/sugar/Italian herbs=Italian flavor
    -rice vinegar/fish sauce/ginger/lime juice/a touch of sesame oil/green onion/garlic = amazing asian dressing!!!
    -cilantro/lime juice/cumin/jalepeno=Mexican flavors
  • fabulous1690
    Options
    Thank you sarakenna I will try this
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    You can make your own "creamy" dressings with a Greek yogurt base, too. Add salt (or a salty ingredient like parmesan cheese, if you have the calories), pepper, and seasonings of choice. Minced/pureed garlic is good, or any herb, spice or blend (let it sit for a while so the flavors blend/mellow). Things like pureed or minced roasted red peppers or other flavorful veggies are also tasty.

Be aware that homemade dressings don't necessarily keep for near infinity like commercial ones. I usually just mix up enough for one salad, because I like variety.

Apologies for not offering an actual recipe . . . I'm more a "wing it" cook.

Salsa can also work as a dressing, especially on a salad that includes beans, corn, avocado sorts of things.