Quality Affordable Running Shoes

Options
I'm in the market for new running shoes, but my budget is in a tough situation due to some other factors. I'm not training for a marathon or anything, I just try to do 3 miles every other day as a walk/run around my neighborhood. I don't do trail running, either. I need shoes for wide feet, which has been a struggle with a lot of models for me. Previously, I would get minimalist type shoes, I liked the feel of running with them, but I realize that I may be better off with a more supportive shoe long term to help absorb some of the shock of my overweight body.

My concern is that if I go to a place like Fleet Feet and get fitted for shoes, I'm going to end up $120+ in the hole most likely. I see online that I can probably get some older models for $60-$70, but it's hard for me to think of buying shoes without trying them on first.

Any tips that you guys have for finding good running shoes for wider feet at an affordable price would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Tell the store your price range and they'll help you out. They can also point you towards something on sale or let you know when they plan to have a sale.

Worst case, they help you to find shoes that fit you comfortably such that you know what characteristics you need to look for when buying over the internet.

I've found that running stores run by and staffed by runners are always very good. They actually care about getting you set up properly.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've had luck with Saucony and Mizuno for wide feet but ultimately you need to buy what actually fits.

Look at it this way, is paying less money worth possibly getting injured?
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying my best to avoid getting injured but also have budget concerns I need to balance. It seems like I can find older model of brand shoes online, but it would be good to confirm my sizing and feel in person before I commit to anything.

Maybe there will be good sales on shoes in the running stores when 2018 models start coming out.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a Marshall's? I got my last pair of running shoes from there. They were New Balance and I think they were only $60. They also had Mizuno there. New Balance are generally known to do well with wide feet.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying my best to avoid getting injured but also have budget concerns I need to balance. It seems like I can find older model of brand shoes online, but it would be good to confirm my sizing and feel in person before I commit to anything.

Maybe there will be good sales on shoes in the running stores when 2018 models start coming out.

I just want to say I wanted to save a few bucks after getting fitted in a running store. I bought $120 dollar Saucony Omni 13s from them, but when I needed an upgrade I saw on Amazon the Saucony Omni 14s for $60 and thought, why not save the money?

While they have worked okay, they were definitely NOT the same shoe, and I had some difficulty transitioning to the 14s as compared to the 13s I got properly fitted for and felt amazing from Day 1. I am not saying this wouldn't work in your situation, but just know that the models definitely change (and sometimes a lot) between years. I would suggest reading reviews of the shoes carefully and reading up on any changes if you are comparing model years.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Go do a department/sporting goods store where the shoes are on the floor (not where you have to ask the guy to go in the back and get your size). Try on as many shoes as you can, walk around the store in them, tie them loose, tie them tight, walk, etc etc. Pay attention to how they fit your feet and if they feel like they are pushing your foot inwards or out (rolling on the inside or outside of your foot) as you walk. Ideally you want a shoe that is comfortable but secure on your foot (not much slipping/sliding) with a fairly even/flat stride.

Try on enough and you'll get a feel for what does and doesn't fit. Don't be in a hurry though.
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    Good to know pent, that would definitely discourage me from what my game plan was.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Go do a department/sporting goods store where the shoes are on the floor (not where you have to ask the guy to go in the back and get your size). Try on as many shoes as you can, walk around the store in them, tie them loose, tie them tight, walk, etc etc. Pay attention to how they fit your feet and if they feel like they are pushing your foot inwards or out (rolling on the inside or outside of your foot) as you walk. Ideally you want a shoe that is comfortable but secure on your foot (not much slipping/sliding) with a fairly even/flat stride.

Try on enough and you'll get a feel for what does and doesn't fit. Don't be in a hurry though.

This is basically what I do. If you have an outlet mall nearby, they can be an excellent place to find deals on older models of shoes.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You can go to a running store and have them bring you four or five models to try on. Have them analyze your gait so you'll know which ones fit you best. Ask them to write down the name and model number of your favorite two brands. Ask them when they might go on sale. If not on sale right then, go home and get on Amazon and see if you can get them cheaper there.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    If you wear wide sizes, you may not be able to find much that fits in a regular department store or sports store. I have to go to a good running store to find ones that fit my wide feet, and even then, sometimes the options are limited.

Asics makes good wide shoes. I like the Nimbus and Cumulus, since I do run marathons and like a cushioned shoe, but the less expensive 1000 or 2000 might work for you. Sauconny Echelon are good too. If you need support shoes Brooks Adrenalines come in wide.
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    I have a pretty good outlet mall near me I'm going to check out this weekend that has Asics, Brooks, Nike, and New Balance. I'll survey the field and see what's out there. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You can get older models of shoes from runningwarehouse.com, and they have a pretty good return policy. They also have a gait analysis option where you can send in a video of your running gait and they'll suggest a style of shoe. From there, you could purchase whatever you like in the category they recommend. I've gotten shoes for $50 there, since they were last year's model.

~Lyssa
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    Wow really good tip @macgurlnet
  • shaunshaikh
    Options
    Went with @macgurlnet 'a suggestion on runningwarehouse.com. Luckily I've actually had a legit gait analysis done with video on a treadmill so using the recommendations for there I was able to narrow down to a nice shoe that was $63 after I used a coupon. There's a return policy so if it doesn't feel right I can send it back for free. The shoes I bought are the same brand and pretty similar to what I have now so I'm pretty optimistic the size will be good. Thanks for all the help.
  • TMski1000
    TMski1000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Check out Ebay! I got a brand new in box pair of New Balance for $20 plus shipping!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty good outlet mall near me I'm going to check out this weekend that has Asics, Brooks, Nike, and New Balance. I'll survey the field and see what's out there. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Oh wow, I got the impression you had little choice for good shoes. Not sure why I thought that. You are in luck with the outlet mall. I have one near me also with all the same stores. For wide feet, go check out New Balance. My dad and husband have that issue (my dad especially) and they seem to work the best, although all brands should have something.

I've worn Asics for years (now wearing New Balance). They are the most comfortable shoe for me. I generally go for the Kayano's but they run about $120 a pair and they might only be a bit cheaper at the outlet. The cheaper ones I didn't care for too much but I am an overpronator so there's that.
  • ghbtwo
    ghbtwo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    You can get older models of shoes from runningwarehouse.com, and they have a pretty good return policy. They also have a gait analysis option where you can send in a video of your running gait and they'll suggest a style of shoe. From there, you could purchase whatever you like in the category they recommend. I've gotten shoes for $50 there, since they were last year's model.

~Lyssa

this is exactly how you do it. find a shoe in the support style you need/like at a running store. if you don't know what you need have them fit you to the shoe that matches your running style, then politely leave and go find the shoe from the previous year (this must be done at a running store). there are a ton of websites that have discontinued shoes. if you find yourself liking something unique, say altra's, you can go to the manufacturers website and often order the discontinued shoes for the range you're suggesting.