Addicted to sugar

Options
Any advice on cutting sugar. I've tried going cold turkey and failed. The worst part is the physical withdrawal symptoms. They feel like I have the flu. Ugh. Any advice is welcomed.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well, some of the responses you will get to this statement are that sugar is not addictive. This has been debated hundreds if not thousands of times on this site, and there just is no scientific proof that it is addictive. I say the jury is out on that, but it's a point of high contentious argument on this site.

Do we love it? Yup. Is it difficult to stop once we start (for some people)? Yes.

What worked for me was to add more vegetables, more protein, and more fats. I now treat sugary things as a special treat - so once a week instead of with every meal. Fruit is a good substitute for cookies and candy etc., so try having that as your dessert. Also if you can stop snacking between meals, that helped me.

It isn't easy, but you can stop overeating sugary treats. How about cutting back to one small treat per day? Start there, and work on getting good nutrition by logging all your food and then studying your Food page and learning about nutrition.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Any advice on cutting sugar. I've tried going cold turkey and failed. The worst part is the physical withdrawal symptoms. They feel like I have the flu. Ugh. Any advice is welcomed.

Then don't go cold turkey. Cut back a little at a time. Buy single servings or limited amounts. Look for other carb sources that you don't find quite so addicting.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I have a medical problem and cut way, way back on added sugar. The problem for me was to cut out trigger foods -- foods I couldn't stop eating and that took the place of food with better nutrition. I couldn't control eating these foods in moderation. More power to the people who have achieved moderation.

Sugar is in almost everything, from sweets to fruit and vegetables to dairy. The baked sweets and candy were my trigger foods, not the other stuff.

I replaced most added sugar sweets with fruit, which is not a trigger food for me and which has bulk and more nutrition. I also had physical withdrawal symptoms and cravings that were similar to when I quit smoking many years ago, only not as bad -- they only lasted about two weeks. Editing to add that sugarless gum helped a lot (I bought Orbit brand).

Taper off the sweets or whatever you're eating that's a problem food and replace it with other treats -- fruit and something with fat that is not a trigger. Either that, or learn to eat the sweets in moderation, whatever works for you.
  • Sisepuede422
    Sisepuede422 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The physical symptoms are likely due to an electrolyte balance which is quite common when an individual drastically reduces carb intake.

Yessssss. This definitely a possibility. Thank you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I'm going to try to avoid the "addiction" debate, other than to say I do not believe you (or anyone) are physically addicted to sugar. Having said that, it doesn't mean you don't have good reasons for wanting to make a change to your diet. So I think it would be really helpful to know why you decided to make a change? What are you trying to avoid? What foods are you overeating that are causing the issue? That way you can get some helpful advice along with the argument that I'm sure will continue on for pages :) It is literally impossible to quit sugar, as it's in pretty much everything except meat and eggs, so I'm thinking some more info will be helpful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

My guess is that you've drastically reduced carbohydrates in addition to trying to cut out sugar. The symptoms you're feeling aren't withdrawal...the symptoms are called keto flu as a result of your body transitioning from it's preferred, default source of energy (glucose) to the body's evolutionary backup plan, ketones when there isn't enough available glucose.

Sugar in and of itself isn't a physically addictive substance. It is highly palatable, particularly when combined with fat...which is why cake and cookies and whatnot are delicious...a highly palatable combination of sugar and fat. I do believe there are eating behavioral addictions, but no physical addiction to anyone particular food.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    To help OP and away from the addiction debate:

Sugar is not physically addictive so there could be a couple of things going on:
    Have you cut way back on soda? You may be having caffeine withdrawal. Adding more coffee may help.
    Have you cut way back on carbs? You may be experiencing "keto flu". Adding electrolytes and waiting it out may help, or alternatively, adding other sources of carbs.
    Does cutting sugar make you feel very stressed? High stress could manifest physically in many ways. Do you know any ways that successfully help you manage stress?

What is your goal from cutting sugar:
    Do you believe you won't lose weight unless you cut sugar? That's not true.
    Do you wish to lose weight and feel sweet foods are easy to overeat? Have you tried cutting down gradually? Have you tried replacing one form of sugary food you tend to overeat with another you don't usually overeat? Like fruits, sweet tea, another kind of candy you like but can easily moderate? How about single serving packages?
    Are you cutting out added sugar because you want to add more nutrient dense foods to your diet? It can be done while enjoying sugary things in moderation.
    Do you feel cutting sugar out would make dieting easier for you? Then you will have to white knuckle it for a couple of weeks, just like it is with any habit. No way around that.

Edit:
    Are people Woowing for the sake of woowing? This post was meant to be helpful regardless of stance on sugar addiction.

I'm quoting this because it is good advice and great things to consider and it deserves to be repeated.

OP, read through amusedmonkey's advice a couple of times. Really consider your goals and what you are trying to achieve, and try the things she suggests. See how it helps you.

And this:
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Oops sorry. I'm a newby and didn't know it was such a contentious issue.

<snip> For instance, have you done the guided set-up and determined your deficit and calorie goal? Have you started weighing and logging your food? Once you get those things down, you might find sugar isn't as big as problem as you think it is. <snip>

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP do you have these same "addiction" symptoms/behaviours when faced with a bowl of fruit, milk, flavoured yogurts etc etc Or do you only have trouble moderating the usual suspects, such as chocolate, candy, cookies, ice cream, pastries etc