Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

1800 calories?!!

So I was reading one if the questions someone had here for how many calories they should be eating,and tgey were directed to a TDEE calculator. I followed the directions and according to it ,I as a 38 yr old 181 lb female ,5'5, I should be eating 1828, or something for losing weight. That seems like ALOT!! Could that be accurate? Right now im at 1399 set by mfp for lightly active, not including my 4 miles walking 5x a week or when I strength train 20 minutes to a dvd. I usually eat about 1600 and even on the weekends sometimes, without exercing,I will eat up to 1600. But never more than that. I have been losing very steadily. Although honestly, I have started to wake up in the middle of the night wanting a snack,usually its a sugar free jello and a lil handful of sunflower seeds. Today I felt kinda nauseas and weak,but as I tried to eat my morning clif bar I only ate half and was feeling like when your bloodpressure drops. Could I be really undereating? I mean I eat very steadily. There isnt hardly any fat in my diet,not on purpose but is that maybe part of it.Anyways too many questions in one ,but do I need to eat more,and will I still lose weight?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2017
    How much are you losing per week?

Am I confusing you with someone else or didn't you just have a thread where you acknowledged that you were probably undereating?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    If you are steadily losing weight at 1600, then chances are you could increase to 1800 and still lose weight, just slower than you currently are losing. That said, I find fat to be extremely satiating, so assuming that you're currently losing at a reasonable rate (no more than 1-2 lbs a week), you may want to see what increasing the fat content of your diet will do before you increase calories. It doesn't take much - some nuts, avocado, olives, cheese, etc. Plus, fat is good for your skin and hair. I'm a big fan.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    There isnt hardly any fat in my diet,not on purpose but is that maybe part of it.

You need dietary fat to keep your skin and hair healthy. Fat also helps you absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K. The fats your body gets from your food give your body essential fatty acids called linoleic and linolenic acid. They are called "essential" because your body cannot make them itself, or work without them. Your body needs them for brain development, controlling inflammation, and blood clotting.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    1800 is probably fairly close to 1400+ exercise cals, and it is a little higher it is because TDEE - whatever % is a smaller deficit then the weekly weight loss goal you entered into MFP.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Looking at your diary, I'd be more concerned about the amount of protein you are getting, rather than the fat. And you seem to be undereating a bit compared to your goal. Swap a Clif Builder bar for the Clif bars you are eating. Are you vegetarian? If so, do a bit of research (and others here can help you) in finding good protein sources. If not, have some chicken :)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I took a look at your food diary. You are eating sufficient fat, but insufficient protein, & not nearly enough vegetables for essential micronutrients. I would suggest rebalancing the calories you are eating to get more essential nutrients. It can be challenging for people who don't consume poultry/meat/fish to get sufficient protein, and you also will need a source of vitamin B-12 and zinc if you don't eat meat. Because you are eating almost no foods containing iron, you may be deficient in that nutrient as well. Some of the bars and such may be supplemented with essential nutrients but they are not making up the protein deficit.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member

Am I confusing you with someone else or didn't you just have a thread where you acknowledged that you were probably undereating?

Idk? I guess my question is ,is 1800 calories what I should be eating?
  • Nykkismommy21
    Looking at your diary, I'd be more concerned about the amount of protein you are getting, rather than the fat. And you seem to be undereating a bit compared to your goal. Swap a Clif Builder bar for the Clif bars you are eating. Are you vegetarian? If so, do a bit of research (and others here can help you) in finding good protein sources. If not, have some chicken :)

Yes, I actually am a vegetarian. I didn't realize. My protein was off. But then again ,I just went through a big can of fitmiss protein shake, a few days ago. I haven't bought another one.
  • Nykkismommy21

Sorry also I am losing about 2lbs a week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    TDEE calculators are based on your TDEE.

MyFitnesspal wants you to eat more on exercise days. Are you entering and eating back some or most of your exercise calories?

I think eating at 1800 is a great plan. If you do that, don't eat back exercise calories.

OR use MFP the way it is designed.

Read the stickies: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Especially this one:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Nykkismommy21
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I took a look at your food diary. You are eating sufficient fat, but insufficient protein, & not nearly enough vegetables for essential micronutrients. I would suggest rebalancing the calories you are eating to get more essential nutrients. It can be challenging for people who don't consume poultry/meat/fish to get sufficient protein, and you also will need a source of vitamin B-12 and zinc if you don't eat meat. Because you are eating almost no foods containing iron, you may be deficient in that nutrient as well. Some of the bars and such may be supplemented with essential nutrients but they are not making up the protein deficit.

You're right about the vegetables, I did go grocery shopping and got more. I love veggies . my thing is ..time. Im always like on the go it feels. When i prep before hand ,then I can usually fit some in. So I decided to do more of that. Thank u.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    TDEE calculators calculate your target calories slightly differently than MFP does, but you should get to roughly the same answer regardless. Your goal using a TDEE calculator correctly (taking your average weekly exercise into account) should roughly equal your MFP base goal + exercise calories. It's a little bit like saying 2+2 = 1+3. Same answer, but a different way of getting there.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    [/quote]

Yes, I actually am a vegetarian. I didn't realize. My protein was off. But then again ,I just went through a big can of fitmiss protein shake, a few days ago. I haven't bought another one.[/quote]

I'm a vegetarian myself. (Lacto ovo) It's ridiculously hard to get protein in. You really have to plan/think on protein every day. Luna bars, Cliff builder bars, nuts, eggs, milk, Protein shakes. I noticed the more protein I eat, the less I want to snack at night. Good luck!!

• Nykkismommy21
    Ck103084 wrote: »

Yes, I actually am a vegetarian. I didn't realize. My protein was off. But then again ,I just went through a big can of fitmiss protein shake, a few days ago. I haven't bought another one.[/quote]

I'm a vegetarian myself. (Lacto ovo) It's ridiculously hard to get protein in. You really have to plan/think on protein every day. Luna bars, Cliff builder bars, nuts, eggs, milk, Protein shakes. I noticed the more protein I eat, the less I want to snack at night. Good luck!!

[/quote]

That might be it ,since running out of my fitmiss i think I've been snacking more. I boiled some eggs yesterday to have on hand. I do eat alot of nuts too.And yogurt. I really didn't know my protein was down.lol.but I will be more aware now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'm 5'5" and I was 34 when I started MFP, and I never ate less than 1650 to lose (80 lbs total)... so 1800 doesn't seem crazy to me. I never ate exercise calories though, just used the TDEE method.

The symptoms you described with your cliff bar though are what I feel when I'm PMSing.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    So I was reading one if the questions someone had here for how many calories they should be eating,and tgey were directed to a TDEE calculator. I followed the directions and according to it ,I as a 38 yr old 181 lb female ,5'5, I should be eating 1828, or something for losing weight. That seems like ALOT!! Could that be accurate? Right now im at 1399 set by mfp for lightly active, not including my 4 miles walking 5x a week or when I strength train 20 minutes to a dvd. I usually eat about 1600 and even on the weekends sometimes, without exercing,I will eat up to 1600. But never more than that. I have been losing very steadily. Although honestly, I have started to wake up in the middle of the night wanting a snack,usually its a sugar free jello and a lil handful of sunflower seeds. Today I felt kinda nauseas and weak,but as I tried to eat my morning clif bar I only ate half and was feeling like when your bloodpressure drops. Could I be really undereating? I mean I eat very steadily. There isnt hardly any fat in my diet,not on purpose but is that maybe part of it.Anyways too many questions in one ,but do I need to eat more,and will I still lose weight?

According to your diary, once you log exercise, MFP is giving you a goal of 1700+ calories. So why would you think 1800 is too much? MFP + exercise should = TDEE approximately.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I eat 1700 maintenance. I'm only 113lbs. 5'4", 40 yo. female. So yes, it sounds like you could eat more and still lose.
  • Nykkismommy21
    kimny72 wrote: »

According to your diary, once you log exercise, MFP is giving you a goal of 1700+ calories. So why would you think 1800 is too much? MFP + exercise should = TDEE approximately.

Actually, while reading another question here asking for advice, it suddenly May sense. Like a "duh" moment. I guess I was looking at two extremes like 1390 -1800. But the 1800 is with exercise included or what not. Sorry ,it just all makes sense now somehow.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I just had a light bulb moment where I realize how my question was exactly what i seem to be doing anyway, bit why it didn't sound right.Anyyyyway. I understand now .Thank u.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2017
    Ck103084 wrote: »

So many more good options too. Beans, chickpeas, lentils, quinoa, edamame, tofu, all those add so many options to my diet. And their derivatives, like quinoa or lentil flour can make an easy substitution if you bake at all. I have this gluten free vegan pancakes recipe with oats and quinoa flour that rocked my world when I discovered it.