Yoga pose advice: 1legged inverted staff

Options
Hey my fellow yoga people,

My new goal for the next few weeks/months is this pose (one legged inverted staff pose) which I've never been able to do before.

I've been starting out from wheel and can get as far as bringing my forearms and head down but then kind of collapse and it's REALLY uncomfortable.

Has anyone got any advice for this pose? Or stories of how you were able to do it? Thanks! x

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you googled this? I just did a quick search and found lots of articles and videos!
  • microwhisper
    microwhisper Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey Lorrpb, yeah I have. I've been working with a guide from yoga journal which seemed pretty legit and clear but it's still a struggle. I'd usually go to my instructor but since I'm away, I thought some real world advice online would be the next best thing...
    I appreciate it's a pretty niche question. lol but any advice is totally welcome! x
  • sarasimp
    sarasimp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The pose requires lots of upper back/shoulder flexibility and shoulder strength, so I'd look at those areas first. I'm pretty flexible, so I just had to gain shoulder strength before I got the pose. I specifically did lots of headstands and forearm stands to get stronger. Hope that helps!
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Cool pose. I just attempted it and got really close (the leg in the air was around 1-2 inches lower than vertical). I don't do yoga, though.
  • microwhisper
    Options
    sarasimp wrote: »
    The pose requires lots of upper back/shoulder flexibility and shoulder strength, so I'd look at those areas first. I'm pretty flexible, so I just had to gain shoulder strength before I got the pose. I specifically did lots of headstands and forearm stands to get stronger. Hope that helps!

Thanks @sarasimp! That's good advice. Yes maybe I'm just jumping into it too fast and should do a bit more strength/flexibility development in the area! I'll keep practicing but focus on my stands as well! x
  • microwhisper
    Options
    Cool pose. I just attempted it and got really close (the leg in the air was around 1-2 inches lower than vertical). I don't do yoga, though.

@ijsantos2005 *high 5* but also quite jealous now! haha ;-)