5lbs to go

Hi

I am 95lbs down and have 5lbs to go to hit my target. Wondered if anyone had any tips on maintaining? I'm currently at 1200 cals per day six days a week with one treat day which I've done successfully since April 2016. How do I start to maintain? Do I keep up my current exercise? Increase? Decrease? And how should I increase my cals? I was thinking my exercise would stay the same and that I should perhaps increase at 100 cals per day a week at a time? And weigh as usual to watch there's no gain? Argh this is going to be hard!

Replies

• getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Awesome! No tips on maintainence just wanted to say well done, lady you look amazing
  • SarahR2412
    SarahR2412 Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks for your comments! It will just be trial and error I think? Take each week as it comes and adjust accordingly! I'm feeling abit nervous about it if I'm honest ?!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Keep weighing yourself regularly to catch trends early and nip issues in the bud. It's much easier to correct a short-term occurrence then it is to let something become a habit that needs to be broken.

Whether or not you keep measuring/logging is up to you. At the very least, take efforts to maintain awareness of your daily caloric intake and maybe measure your meals one day a week just to make sure that you maintain a current frame of reference for what an appropriate amount of food looks like.

Set your daily calorie targets according to your lifestyle. Some people shoot to eat at maintenance every day. I prefer to maintain a small deficit 6 days a week (about 300 per day) because we tend to go out to a really nice dinner one time per week and I will easily go 1500 or so over maintenance that day with multiple courses, desserts, and drinks. If I go over maintenance any other day, I just 'get it back' over the next one or two days. Easy Peasy.

Keep up the exercise - it's good for your overall health.

Lastly, congratulations!
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    edited September 2017
    I just reached maintenance as well and I got the advice to add calories back slowly 50 at a time . I'm on 1200 a day as well. I'm going to keep tracking every day and make it a permanent thing with regular weigh ins. At lot of people once they reach maintenance start to work on strength training and building back muscle they may have lost through losing weight. I will be doing that as well.
  • ldtamika31
    ldtamika31 Posts: 205 Member
    Congratulations
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Suggest you have a skim through the threads in the "Goal: Maintaining Weight forum".
    Some people find maintenance hard, personally I find it fun. :smile:

And well done - that's a remarkable achievement. :flowerforyou:
  • SarahR2412
    SarahR2412 Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks for all your comments!

I don't know whether to be frightened iof maintained or excited lol! I've had a blip this week ! Gained 3.6lbs?! Maintained my exercise and daily intake but also had tooth ache for a week and was on painkillers which I think caused problems and may be the reason for the gain?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Yeah, inflammation causes water retention. Stay the course.

As far as maintenance, you may slide right into it or you may have a period of having trouble finding your maintenance number of calories.

A lot of the transition depends on how long you were eating at a deficit and how big your deficit was. That's why it's recommended to lose the last 20 pounds with a small deficit (like 200-250 calories below your intended maintenance calories.) Sounds like you've been set at 1200 since April 2016? How far below your recommended maintenance calories is that? It may be a bit rocky for you to find a number, and if you don't go right up to maintenance all at once, expect to continue to lose until you do.

• Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Thanks for all your comments!

I don't know whether to be frightened iof maintained or excited lol! I've had a blip this week ! Gained 3.6lbs?! Maintained my exercise and daily intake but also had tooth ache for a week and was on painkillers which I think caused problems and may be the reason for the gain?

Some painkillers, especially ibuprofen and other nsaids cause water retention.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!