Is chicken salad even healthy?

Hi, so yesterday I bought this little tiny container of chicken salad from target and ate about 3 small sandwiches with it yesterday and today. I looked at the container today to see how much protein was in it and was shocked at the nutritional information...
350 calories for 1/2 a cup serving and 3.5 servings per container, that means that the little tiny container had over 1200 calories... that's more calories than a Burger King double whopper with cheese and small fries. Not only that but there's only about 40 grams of protein. I'm still trying to wrap it around my head how something that is hailed as healthy food can be so calorie dense, like peanut butter which I never eat, I guess It's good for people who are putting on weight but unless I hear of a healthier variant I will probably not eat chicken salad anymore.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Lots of mayo in that.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Define what you consider "healthy" ? In case you have not noticed there is a wide variance on that term around here. I know people who would have a brain aneurysm if they even took a bite of a bagel. That said, I buy chicken salad pretty frequently since I picked some up as a pure impulse buy from Sam's Club a few months back. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/sycamore-farms-chicken-salad-32-oz/157402.ip

It's calorie dense, but tasty enough I don't mind. I just use a couple of slices of low calorie bread or else a wrap and make a lunch out of it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I've never seen chicken salad "hailed as healthy food".
    It's usually made with a lot of mayo, so pretty calorie dense. Always check the nutritional info before you buy something to make sure it fits your goals. Don't just rely of having heard somewhere that it's "healthy".

Mrs Jruzer makes a summery version with olive oil mayo, big chunks of white meat, Mediterranean spices, and grapes. Frickin yum AND it's fairly low calorie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    "Healthy" is so subjective. If it helps you meet your macros/micros, then why wouldn't it be healthy? However it continually keep you surplusing your calories, then it's not (because of weight gain unless that is your goal).
    Food really isn't "healthy" or "unhealthy". It's either nutrient dense or not, or calorie dense or not for your goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I mean, salad with chicken is probably what would be considered "healthy" but it's really about context. Chicken salad as you're talking about when bought in a supermarket has a ton of mayo, mayo is largely just fat so of course it's not going to be low calorie. But again, context. Depends on how many calories you have to play with for a particular meal as to how appropriate something is for you to include in your day.

And yeah, look at labels before you buy the thing to see if it will fit into your day the way you want it to.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I'm just wondering why you thought it was "healthy"? Now, it's not unhealthy but I don't consider chicken salad (storebought) to be something I'd reach for when watching my calories.

This site has a recipe for High Protein Chicken Salad that I've made a number of times. I don't have it handy, but it's pretty good. The mayo is replaced with Greek Yogurt. I think there might be a bit of mayo in it but I can't remember. Also has apples and grapes in it with red onion. Very good contrast of sweet and savory.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Hi, so yesterday I bought this little tiny container of chicken salad from target and ate about 3 small sandwiches with it yesterday and today. I looked at the container today to see how much protein was in it and was shocked at the nutritional information...
    [350 calories for 1/2 a cup serving and 3.5 servings per container, that means that the little tiny container had over 1200 calories... I guess It's good for people who are putting on weight but unless I hear of a healthier variant I will probably not eat chicken salad anymore.

As mentioned above, its all about context. I often eat a chicken salad, as mine is "healthy" and it fits into my calorie allowance easily. But I always make it from scratch at home and through choice, (mainly because I don't like them) I don't add any salad dressing. (I also need to be careful that I make sure I have enough fat in my diet, but that's another story).I weigh my chicken, but for comparison, I think 1/2 a cup of chicken is 60g.

My meal consists of 120g of chicken; has 140 calories & 30g protein.
    (Rather than 700 calories per cup of your store bought). I then have a plate full of mixed salad, including tomatoes, beetroot, cucumber, lettuce.
    But you can include any salad you like. This adds a some calories (maybe 100 calories, depending on type/quantity of salad used). But I'm not even sure that yours included any actual "salad". The salad increases nutritional value, and is relatively low in calories. Adding some forms of carbs if required, ie wholemeal roll, to balance meal. This will add calories, but again the bread you used, was not counted in your nutritional information regarding your chicken salad.

It's important to look at the nutritional information supplied beforehand. As so called "chicken salad" can vary greatly.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Why don't you try making chicken salad. There's healthier replacements and I'm sure what you bought is loaded with mayonnaise. 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt is like so much less than mayo. Google the comparison
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    [350 calories for 1/2 a cup serving and 3.5 servings per container, that means that the little tiny container had over 1200 calories... I guess It's good for people who are putting on weight but unless I hear of a healthier variant I will probably not eat chicken salad anymore.

As mentioned above, its all about context. I often eat a chicken salad, as mine is "healthy" and it fits into my calorie allowance easily. But I always make it from scratch at home and through choice, (mainly because I don't like them) I don't add any salad dressing. (I also need to be careful that I make sure I have enough fat in my diet, but that's another story).I weigh my chicken, but for comparison, I think 1/2 a cup of chicken is 60g.

My meal consists of 120g of chicken; has 140 calories & 30g protein.
    (Rather than 700 calories per cup of your store bought). I then have a plate full of mixed salad, including tomatoes, beetroot, cucumber, lettuce.
    But you can include any salad you like. This adds a some calories (maybe 100 calories, depending on type/quantity of salad used). But I'm not even sure that yours included any actual "salad". The salad increases nutritional value, and is relatively low in calories. Adding some forms of carbs if required, ie wholemeal roll, to balance meal. This will add calories, but again the bread you used, was not counted in your nutritional information regarding your chicken salad.

It's important to look at the nutritional information supplied beforehand. As so called "chicken salad" can vary greatly.

I think the OP was talking about "chicken salad" that is the spreadable type put between bread usually. Not chicken over a salad.