App adds calories to my daily goals

Options
2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I find both Garmin and Fitbit to be accurate at calculating my exercise calories.

I eat 100% of my exercise calories back since hitting maintenance, and have maintained my goal weight of 141 lbs for 17 months and I've used both Garmin and Fitbit during that time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »
    IF I have 1800, burn 500, eat 1300, am I in deficit?

You are in a deficit if you eat 1800.

If you are given a goal of 1800 - that is already at a deficit to what MFP figures you'll burn - say you selected 1lb weekly, or 500 cal deficit.

So that means MFP figured you'd burn with no exercise base eating goal 1800+500 deficit = 2300 daily burn on average.

If you burned 500 more with exercise - you really burned 2800 that day.
    When you log that - MFP smartly tries to protect you from yourself by increasing calories to 1800+500 exercise = 2300 eating goal.

But you burned 2800 that day - so still 500 deficit.

Isn't that wonderful how it works.

Or you could eat 1800 and keep that up wonder why your workouts start sucking, tired during the day, ect.
    Perhaps because 1000 cal deficit is not smart at all, not reasonable, not sustainable, and not adherable when the binge finally comes after so many days.

Eating 1300 in your described scenario - really bad idea - totally going the wrong direction.

MFP is attempting to help people learn a life lesson regarding weight.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less (that's the one that gets people as they age).

In a diet, a tad less in either case.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't eat exercise calories back unless I have a week-end social event. Otherwise I stick to my original 1200 calorie goal.