What to do with a skirt I just bought on line that's too small? Wait till I reach goal, or return?

Options
2»

Replies

• Amjski34
    Amjski34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would keep it. Did the same thing with a pair of shorts off eBay and I'm hoping to fit into them eventually. Hopefully that time corresponds with the right season lol!
  • vickimckie
    vickimckie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would keep it, but like some others here have said, it really depends on:
    Is $45 a lot of money toy you.
    How much do you love the skirt - or not.
    How determined are you to lose that last 15 pounds, and...
    How successful have you been so far losing weight and making progress towards your goal.

Personally, I have gained and lost weight several times over the last 10 years, due to an auto-immune illness that I have. I get back down to my original weight and can maintain it for years. Then I'll have another attack of this illness and the doctors have to put me on high doses of steriods which makes the weight literally jump back on me. I was originally 135 pounds all of my adult life, but the first time I got sick, I ballooned up to 220, after two years on high doses of oral Prednisone and IV steroid. It took me a year to get back down to 135. And I've repeated that cycle twice since then. Now I'm just getting started again after finally getting off the meds again, and starting over at 188, I'm now back down to 166 within 6 weeks, with 31 more pounds to get back to my normal of 135. All of that was to explain that I have three complete wardrobes in 3 different closets in my home - sizes M, L and XL with a few XXL in there. I keep all of my clothes that I love because I keep going up and down, and I can't afford to continue buying new wardrobes all the time. So my rule is that if I love it, it goes in the closet - one of them anyway. Good luck. I hope you keep the skirt and post a picture here for us to see you when you are able to wear it with joy.
  • waltzingmom
    waltzingmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the good list of considerations, Vickimckie. I'm impressed at how you've been able to take off the weight after the steroid treatments!
    I've been doing pretty well in taking off weight the past 2 months, and think/hope this will continue for those last pounds.
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Return it. There will always be another skirt to buy.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Do you love the skirt? Was it a deal and a half to get it for $46? Do you have closet space to keep it? Do you think you could resell it if it didn't fit? How do you feel about potentially wasting $46? If you can almost zip it up now, my bet is you will 15 lbs from now -- it may even be too big! So if you love it, won't be able to get the same deal again, have space for it, think you can resell it and/or are ok risking $46 if you can't, keep it. But if you don't really love it, don't have space for it, don't think you could resell it and losing $46 is a big issue (i.e. You can think of a lot of "sure things" you'd rather spend $46 than on the gamble of keeping, fitting into and still loving that skirt), return it. The opinions on this thread really boil down to how people feel about these five questions. So answer those questions for yourself and decide. Good luck!
  • waltzingmom
    waltzingmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks so much for the good luck wishes. Great questions. Well, here goes. Yes, I really like the skirt. (Love might be too strong a word for it.) It was a "deal" - it was brand new "couture", tags still on, and the original price was over $500 (although of course no matter what the price, it won't be a deal if I don't wear it). Also, it's a nice long length on me (to the bottom of the knee) , which is perfect at my "getting up there" age (also known as that "already up there" age). That length is a bit tough to find since I'm relatively tall. And if my waist doesn't shrink, I'm thinking that maybe I can wear it with the waist band open and a long jacket or sweater that goes over the waist, so that no one will know! It also seems to be a good incentive for losing those pounds.

As for my closet, did you have to ask? LOL. Well, it's pretty crowded in there. But I'd probably be better off getting rid of the stuff that I'll never in a million years wear again - like that orange tank top that shrunk to kid size, and that t-shirt with falling off sparkles, and that short red skirt that I could get away with wearing a few decades ago. Anyway, thanks again for the good questions and the good luck wishes! All the best to you!