Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating "healthy" and daily exercise doesnt' DEFINE being healthy

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
edited September 2017 in Debate Club
While I'm a big proponent of exercise and eating a well balanced diet, so many people think that's pretty much all one needs to just "get healthy".
I will contest that there's much more to it than that. Here are other factors that affects one's health:

Weight (especially if one is obese or very overweight)- there are lots of people in the gym that may eat "healthy" and exercise, but lots are still overweight for YEARS. Weight is still the number one risk indicator for health issues.

Stress- if one is constantly stressed even with the above, they are still at risk for health problems such as: high blood pressure, cardiovascular problems, chronic fatigue syndrome, reflux, and compromised immune system.

Genetics- you cannot change your genetics. You can do everything right and still be unhealthy because of bad genetics.

Lack of rest/sleep- the inability to get good rest or sleep interferes with recovery and also can cause issues with higher risk of heart disease, loss of thinking and concentration and obviously a higher chance for accidents of every type.

Risk behavior- obviously smoking, using drugs (not prescribed) and engaging in behavior that is risky to health (sky diving or MMA fighting for example) will have direct effects on your overall health.

Good hygiene- if you don't take care of your teeth and gums or constantly get infections from not keep clean, this of course can affect your health.

Environment- being exposed to smog, chemicals, etc. can affect your health.

Personal happiness- it's no secret that being unhappy all the time can affect your health. And vice versa.

So for people looking to "get healthy", if you can't get the eating and exercising down yet, try also focusing on the above to improve your overall health. And while yes you can't change your genetics, you CAN reduce risk by not doing things that increase it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Agree, please add not wearing a seat belt/helmet to risky behaviors though.
  • kristie8351
    kristie8351 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, a healthy mind, body =healthy soul..
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Amen!! There is so much more to good health than just eating and exercise. And we don't pay enough attention to things like sleep and happiness, and making meaningful connections.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think spending big chunks of time in nature is a lot more important for health than many of the things that have been mentioned so far.
    Are you Rick Flair? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I think spending big chunks of time in nature is a lot more important for health than many of the things that have been mentioned so far.

Amen brother!

I do love deer and turkey season, not just because of the hunt, but also because of the long hours I get for solitude, reflection, thinking, and seeing things that most non-hunters or non-nature lovers would ever think of seeing. I have seen countless sunrises and sunsets, watched frost grow on my deer stand, sat through snow, sleet and rain - BTW - rain actually sounds like bacon frying. I always feel refreshed (stress free) at the end of the day in the woods or fields.

P.S. - Leave your cell phone in your truck or turned off in your pocket...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I agree with your other factors. I do want to mention that increasing exercise has done wonders for my stress levels and general mood. Which makes it easier for me to control overeating, because my stress/boredom/emotional eating has been reduced.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Do you think it's woo to say that spending time outdoors is good for your health? I agree that being next to a tree doesn't have any special advantages, but spending a day on a trail without the noise of sirens, with fragrant pine forest air, at a walking pace with timing dictated by the sun ... study after study shows how powerful this is for stress reduction, and we all agree that's healthy. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Do you think it's woo to say that spending time outdoors is good for your health? I agree that being next to a tree doesn't have any special advantages, but spending a day on a trail without the noise of sirens, with fragrant pine forest air, at a walking pace with timing dictated by the sun ... study after study shows how powerful this is for stress reduction, and we all agree that's healthy. :smile:
    Sarcasm brother...................if you don't know Rick Flair's nickname, it's "The Nature Boy".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I liked the personal happiness item because they have linked poor physical health with poor mental health. For example a severely depressed person will not have the energy to even shower or eat much less exercise. This takes a toll on their physical health.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I question the statement "Weight is still the number one risk indicator for health issues." as a blanket statement.

All other things being equal, a person who is slightly overweight, even slightly overfat, may still have less risk of disease than a healthy weight/fat person that smokes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I question the statement "Weight is still the number one risk indicator for health issues." as a blanket statement.

All other things being equal, a person who is slightly overweight, even slightly overfat, may still have less risk of disease than a healthy weight/fat person that smokes.
    But for any INDIVIDUAL, just weighing more than they need to increases risk. That's what the blanket statement covers. It's not comparing person to person.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited September 2017
    Options

But for any INDIVIDUAL, just weighing more than they need to increases risk. That's what the blanket statement covers. It's not comparing person to person.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Any amount extra weight is the number one risk factor? Number one? Over smoking? No matter how many lbs and no matter what comprised the extra weight?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Any amount extra weight is the number one risk factor? Number one? Over smoking? No matter how many lbs and no matter what comprised the extra weight?
    But not everyone smokes. The statement is in general for everyone. When applying a blanket statement, the assumption is that everyone is basically playing from the same playing field.
    I'm not going to say that smoking ISN'T a high risk factor. Of course it is, but it's a risk factor higher for that particular individual. It doesn't apply to someone who doesn't smoke.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But not everyone smokes. The statement is in general for everyone. When applying a blanket statement, the assumption is that everyone is basically playing from the same playing field.
    I'm not going to say that smoking ISN'T a high risk factor. Of course it is, but it's a risk factor higher for that particular individual. It doesn't apply to someone who doesn't smoke.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Can you provide anything to back up your statement that weight is the "number one risk indicator for health issues"?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Sarcasm brother...................if you don't know Rick Flair's nickname, it's "The Nature Boy".

I didn't know that. I knew he yelled woo a lot, so that's the only thing that sprang to mind. Where's the smiley for sharing a beer? :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I didn't know that. I knew he yelled woo a lot, so that's the only thing that sprang to mind. Where's the smiley for sharing a beer? :smile:

::drinker::
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Whether smoking is a higher risk factor than being fat depends both on how fat you are or how much you smoke. The BBC reported some years ago that smoking is just as bad as being overweight along with the details of a study.

The study found that being obese or smoking ten cigarettes a day increased the risk of premature death by 100% ( doubled it). Being overweight, seriously underweight (BMI under 17) or smoking fewer than ten cigarettes a day increased the risk by 30%. Being underweight ( BMI 17-18.5) had no increased risk for premature death.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7908575.stm

So whether smoking or fatness is a number one risk factor comes down to how fat vs. how much smoking the individual is doing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree that healthy doesn't just mean eating and exercising...that would be physical health.

They call desk jobs (being sedentary) the new smoking....

As a former smoker who was fat....what was going to get me first? my high cholesterol or my smoking????

cholesterol according to my doctor...lose weight was the recommendation then if you can, quit smoking..which I did.

I think healthy need defined in more ways than just physical health...mental, emotional, physical....without 1 you are not as healthy as you could be but getting there.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I agree that healthy doesn't just mean eating and exercising...that would be physical health.

They call desk jobs (being sedentary) the new smoking....

As a former smoker who was fat....what was going to get me first? my high cholesterol or my smoking????

cholesterol according to my doctor...lose weight was the recommendation then if you can, quit smoking..which I did.

I think healthy need defined in more ways than just physical health...mental, emotional, physical....without 1 you are not as healthy as you could be but getting there.

Eating and exercise doesn't mean you will be physically healthy either. There are many physical ailments that are not related to food or activity.