Weight loss before muscle gaining????!

2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    @xvhailey Cool.....not a bad way to do things. I would ask one of the ladies (or some of the other dudes) if they think, based on your two pics, that you are 25% bf.

I would say at about 24-25ish%. regardless of the % she is at a higher body fat than where she needs to starting gaining fat/muscle at this time for it to be optimal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    xvhailey wrote: »

First of all you look amazing. Congrats to you!!!

If this were me, I would do a slowish cut. You are not quite what I call at a good enough leanness that if you were to move into a bulking phase you will be quite disappointed with your results.

Basically recomp (but with a smallish deficit of about 200/250 calories). Choose your strength training program that is a progressive over load, and keep doing this for as long as you feel you need to. I am just under 5'4" and it looks like maybe in another 4-5 pounds for you and then reassess. In your diet, make sure your protein intake is adequate enough to handle your regime, I personally do a *minimum* of 100 grams and add grams up to my body weight that I find is more than enough.

@xvhailey, @RoxieDawn nailed it here ^. This is exactly what I would do. The full body workouts every day are fine for overall fitness and muscle tone but a progressive weight program will preserve muscle mass and reshape your already attractive shape in a way you will love!
  • xvhailey
    xvhailey Posts: 15 Member

If this were me, I would do a slowish cut. You are not quite what I call at a good enough leanness that if you were to move into a bulking phase you will be quite disappointed with your results.

Basically recomp (but with a smallish deficit of about 200/250 calories). Choose your strength training program that is a progressive over load, and keep doing this for as long as you feel you need to. I am just under 5'4" and it looks like maybe in another 4-5 pounds for you and then reassess. In your diet, make sure your protein intake is adequate enough to handle your regime, I personally do a *minimum* of 100 grams and add grams up to my body weight that I find is more than enough.

Thank you!! I'm not sure if anyone has tips for me on this but I also fluctuate with my weight very easily! For example today I weighed in 127Lbs while I was just 129lbs a couple days ago. Also, this me 2 weeks ago and I weighed 120lbs. 4iekg3apcs5x.jpg

I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong or why my body is so inconsistent. My diet is vegan and I'm very aware of what I eat
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017

Thank you!! I'm not sure if anyone has tips for me on this but I also fluctuate with my weight very easily! For example today I weighed in 127Lbs while I was just 129lbs a couple days ago. Also, this me 2 weeks ago and I weighed 120lbs. 4iekg3apcs5x.jpg

I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong or why my body is so inconsistent. My diet is vegan and I'm very aware of what I eat

Two weeks ago you weighed 120 (btw way you look good in the photo/a good starting point I would say for starting a bulk)... but I have to ask is how did you gain 7-9 pounds in two weeks? Is your monthly cycle going on in here somewhere? Perhaps a major weight fluctuation due to female hormones, changes in your diet, muscle soreness/muscle repair going on from working out? Anything you add that has transpired in two weeks up to today?

While I have gained 7 pounds in a weekend of bad eating before (lol), perhaps your previous photos is of your weight showing quite a bit of water weight gain??

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Well, first, we all fluctuate for all kinds of reasons. Water weight, food waste in our system, sodium, T.O.M. for ladies. There are so many things that can influence this. So, you are not doing anything wrong. Also, scales can be off and time of day can be a factor. I use and would recommend you using a weight trending app. I use weightgrapher as I don't want one that automatically updates my fitbit and MFP each time I weigh in every morning but there are others that do that. It's better to look at a trendline than individual data points.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I will humbly defer to all of you. To these 50yo old eyes she looks to be at a good body fat percentage to start a bulk. But....I am much better at determining this sorta thing in person. With a pic, lighting and angles and all can make a HUGE difference.

Looks like @xvhailey is getting some really good advice and guidance. I will just listen and learn! :smile:

@xvhailey - you really do look very very good. Keep up the great work.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    With a pic, lighting and angles and all can make a HUGE difference.

So true! Looking at the 2 pics I am going to guess 22% body fat. If you can stand it, cut a couple more pounds. If you are at a point where it is too painful to cut (hunger, energy) - then start your bulk. I would put on weight slowly though - maybe 1.0-1.5 pounds a month.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You look great and have a fantastic physique!

You are fairly lean, however most likely because you don't have as much muscle you are not seeing the definition you desire. Since you are not close to being underweight at 129lbs, I would agree to do a small cut, even just a few lbs could make a huge difference. Definitely follow a progressive lifting program (not sure what you are doing now .. you said full body everyday, but if you are truly doing a full body program it should not be run everyday, typically.)

Alternatively, you could start a bulk now if you are comfortable since your bodyfat really does not look that high. You do look fantastic though, so at this point it's all about how you feel, your personal goals and if you want to take it to the next level to build more of a muscle base.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    And, not sure if anyone else has suggested this - and it is all going to depend on what you want to do, what your goals are - but consider the Stronger Curves program. I have a few girls here in Winston-Salem, NC on it as it seems to address what they are trying to do.

Just a suggestion - totally going to depend on if that "solution" fits your goals. :smiley: