Need help

Options
I need help. I started to do my deit for three months and i been doing good. Lost weight. And felt great. But then I got off it. Don't have the energy to do it . I been trying to go back into working out and eating healthy again. But i have to push myself. And then I get off it again. How do I get the energy to get back on it again. And not get bored at it?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you made big changes. Maybe try starting with smaller changes moving toward where you see yourself. Helps to get out of the all or nothing mindset.
  • chuck6w
    chuck6w Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What works for me when I feel that way is I start with small achievable goals each day or every few hour if I need to to keep on track. When I feel tired I look at if I'm Eating plenary of fruits and vegetables to help with. Energy. I try to exercise when I can sometimes that is just cleaning the house but I'm moving
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your diet is what you eat. Eating is not about being good or bad, it's morally neutral. Losing weight will improve your health if you are overweight, and improved health feels good. But a restrictive diet is not easy to stick to, and we will embrace any excuse to stop, and it's even harder to start the second time, because we know how it sucks.

You dont have to work out to lose weight, but you have to eat less. Exercise is good for you, though. If you want to exercise, find an activity you like and can stick to, and stick to it.

Set up MFP to lose the closest amount to 1% of your body weight per week. You get a calorie goal. Use your food diary. Eat and drink whatever you want, but log it (if it has calories). Hit your calorie goal. Do this consistently, and for a long time.

This is all you need to do to lose weight. There are pitfalls and tips and tricks, like: logging routines, weigh-in routines, water weight fluctuations, nutrition, backup plans, cravings, patience - but losing weight isn't all that difficult. I hope I have sparked some new ideas. This forum is a great place to ask, learn and share.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I need help. I started to do my deit for three months and i been doing good. Lost weight. And felt great. But then I got off it. Don't have the energy to do it . I been trying to go back into working out and eating healthy again. But i have to push myself. And then I get off it again. How do I get the energy to get back on it again. And not get bored at it?

You probably are over restricting your diet and overdoing the exercise. You need to find a way of eating and an activity level that can realistically become your new normal. If you have less than say 75 lbs to lose, set your goal to lose 1 lb per week. Don't completely change your diet and try to eat all "healthy" or diet-friendly food. Make an effort to fit in your fave foods, just hit your calorie goal and make small incremental changes to improve your diet so it is enjoyable, keeps you satisfied, and is the right amount of cals. Same with exercise, start small and work your way up, and find stuff you actually enjoy doing.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Why is it hard for you? Is it the energy you have to put into cooking? If it is, I'd suggest buying a George Foreman grill, your fave frozen veggies in a bag (microwave in bag), and rice that you also just pop into the microwave in the bag. I literally made dinner with 3 minutes of prep time the other night with grilled chicken, veg and rice. That's easier than going to mcdonalds.

Also, if you don't have the energy for exercise just walk a little each day. It'll more than suffice if you're also on a calorie deficit
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Sounds like you made big changes. Maybe try starting with smaller changes moving toward where you see yourself. Helps to get out of the all or nothing mindset.

Agreed. You don't need to change everything to lose weight, just change enough to get into a calorie deficit. What that looks like depends on how you eat when you're not "on a diet." For me, it started with a goal to eat at home more than I ate out or got delivery. I also cut back on sodas and high calorie coffee drinks, not all at once, but gradually. i started keeping food in the house that I liked to eat, so if my husband didn't feel like cooking dinner, I could make myself something quick instead of going for delivery. Start logging your food and see where you can make those kinds of changes, and don't rush yourself. And as mentioned, maybe think of exercise as something separate - it's great for you and can help with weight loss, but for most people, diet is the number one most important part of weight loss. Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How do you get back to doing it? You just do. You did it once, lost weight and felt great. What about this is or was not motivation enough to keep going.

Lack of energy can be many things from outside interferences you are allowing to get in the way, perhaps you are truly lacking in physical energy as in your calories/energy-in is not enough to handle your day to day responsibilities and added exercise.

While there are days I may have to 'push my self' (tired, etc...) as long as I love what I am doing and I am not suffering from 'daily dread' to exercise that alone will keep me doing it.

Finding balance is a key ingredient along side patience. Give it a go again, make mini goals each day/week. You will see a little bit adds up over time and consistency always brings results, results and consistency make for forming new habits for life.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Which takes more energy: watching what you eat or being overweight, hiding your fat, and your eating habits?
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    THIS IS A MARATHON NOT A SPRINT!

Totally agree that it is a lot of small changes over a lifetime. This journey isn't linear. It's forwards and backward and standing still.

Personally I have found meal planning and prepping useful as has prelogging my daily meals, so I know what calories I have left in the 'bank'.
    The only person who can motivate you is YOU.
    But with that said, forgive yourself for your failings and pick yourself up and just keep pushing.

This mindset will bring you closer to your weight goal, every day. :):)
  • bowyer2017
    bowyer2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find I always have a period of boredom. It is mental and my reaction to 'dieting'; if you make healthier choices then you can't fail. That may be calorie deficit by examining your constituents to each day or by portion size.
    If exercise is a chore then it is not the correct choice of exercise for you. I hate the boredom of the treadmill and bike but love weight machines, like mowing the lawn but hate running.
    Both exercise and diet has to be personally geared to you. Once you change lifestyle, even in a little way, then you will want to progress,but if you digress examine why and start over. Best wishes for a new you.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is right.. Chill. Don't over do it. Find something you enjoy doing that won't feel like exercise. Window shopping counts! Swimming leisurely counts! You don't have to run a marathon or do laps in a pool.

Eat under maintenance. Your deficient doesn't have to be huge. Count a .2 loss a win. Count no loss but looser jeans or one less notch on your bra a win.

If it's satiated you are looking for, try cutting carbs and eating more fat and protein. If it's frustratation over giving up your favorite foods, eat them but stay in a deficient. Whatever makes you feel like this isn't torture any more.

I don't do "gyms".. 1: I don't like people.. 2: I don't like pain or discomfort.. 3: I don't like sweat.

I DO like swimming, walking, basketball, and forest trails. I can't have lots of carbs. Makes me over eat. I found what works for me.