Where do I start??...

Hi everyone. So...I know I need to get moving more as I spend all day in bed due to my depression and anxiety. I have a fitbit, any tips on how I can get more steps in at home? Im obese so im a bit restricted (and very unfit). I know that moving more will aid my weight loss. Thanks for reading, please feel free to add me x

Replies

• AlexYachiru
    AlexYachiru Posts: 79 Member
    You can add me
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    If you are interested in doing something at home, I recommend trying out the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds programs. Some are free online depending on the cable package you have, some DVDs might be available at your local library, and you can probably get used DVDs fairly cheap online. Anyway, they start at 1 mile that you do in your house by marching and moving across a small amount of floor. I often thought that they were a GREAT starting point for people who were very unfit and overweight.

The cheapest/best thing (and for your depression) is to get outside in the sunshine and walk, even just for 5 minutes.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Start by writing down small, attainable goals. Your first may be, "Walk 10 minutes without stopping." Do that everyday for a week or 2 or 3... whatever you can do. Then up your goal to 15 minutes.
    Slow and steady wins the race.
    Stick around the forums and ask for help when needed.
    Read the most helpful posts.
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    CMNVA wrote: »
    If you are interested in doing something at home, I recommend trying out the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds programs. Some are free online depending on the cable package you have, some DVDs might be available at your local library, and you can probably get used DVDs fairly cheap online. Anyway, they start at 1 mile that you do in your house by marching and moving across a small amount of floor. I often thought that they were a GREAT starting point for people who were very unfit and overweight.

The cheapest/best thing (and for your depression) is to get outside in the sunshine and walk, even just for 5 minutes.

You can find the videos on YouTube as well!!
  • JamieRit
    JamieRit Posts: 3 Member
    Just want to say, GOOD FOR YOU! You might be suffering from depression, but look at what you're doing. Joining myfitnesspal, reaching out to others, and knowing where you need to improve. You're already starting the steps of taking action and now you just need to execute. Stick with it!!!! I too struggle with panic attacks/depression/bi-polar, general mental illness crap that sucks and there is no better medicine than exercising and eating right. It's a daily struggle, which means you gotta be ready to fight for it every.single.day. It's hard, and it's worth it.
  • mktom29
    mktom29 Posts: 57 Member
    Be creative! Make it fun and exciting!
    Also, be kind to yourself! You are doing awesome just starting and asking for help! Keep it up! You got this!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Congratulations on taking the first step to changing your life. You have to find an exercise you enjoy and as a previous poster has stated start with small goals. Don't aim for anything crazy cuz you may not be able to do it and it will demotivate you. Start with maybe a goal to walk for 5 minutes once you do that maybe the next time start for 6 minutes. What it becomes is one success Builds on another success and another success and before you know it you'll be doing things that surprise yourself.

Now let me give you some hope 57 year old male I've had a double hip replacement an arthritic knee and an arthritic shoulder that will eventually need to be replaced. At my worst I was 330 lb. I began my weight-loss Journey at about 290 I'm currently 210 and I've been maintaining that for approximately one year.

After my double hip replacement I started working out again. Part of my routine is Plyometrics which is Jump exercises. One of the moves is a 180-degree jump spin. I said there's no way in hell I can do that. So I just moved my feet. After a year I could do multiple 360 jump spins.

Most importantly don't give up on yourself realize that you're worth it