Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Starting up again...

Okay guys. I've ony been successful with losing weight while on weight watchers but I don't have it in the budget. Right now, I'm living at home, surrounded by my family who eats very unhealthy. It's very hard to be healthy when my family pressures me and practically forces me to eat bad food. I've had a problem with staying motivated in the past because I get frustrated. any tips on a beginner of a healthy life?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Educate yourself on the mechanism of weight loss/gain/maintenance - very simple: calories in/out. Educate yourself on the mechanics of social interaction - very complicated - but that doesn't mean that you don't have a choice. Educate yourself on healthy eating - getting in sufficient nutrition every day, not too many calories over time, a relaxed attitude towards food and eating, and eating enjoyable food.

Welcome to MFP :)
  • novalee1980
    novalee1980 Posts: 16 Member
    Add me if you like
  • mail2dijaw
    mail2dijaw Posts: 36 Member
    Firstly, patience and perservence is key. Regarding, W/W you dont need it as you get hooked to point system and dont really how to control your food and adjust calories at your will when preparing food. For example, I cook a dish and weigh in each and every ingredient and just lookup the calories in MFP of each item and then add up for the total dish. Divide the total calories by the number of portions you wish to make and the extra portions goes in freezer for next supper. This helps your MFP logging and you get more educated about your food unlike W/W where you have no idea how it was prepared and all you know is points. It sounds boring but becomes a habit and you will enjoy it as you become more knowledgable about your food. Plan your food ahead and if its there ready made as mentioned then you can easily choose your dish and still sit enjoy with family. sometimes saying 'no,thanks' helps :smile: Quiet possibly you may end up converting your family into healthy one with your tact and get them motivated to eat healthy. Best of luck!!!
  • HealthyKatty
    HealthyKatty Posts: 24 Member
    Oh my lord, I'm in that same situation where my family eats unhealthy and I'm pretty much to their mercy eating unhealthy food as well due to budget concerns. How I'm attempting to cope with it at the moment is eat tiny portions of that unhealthy food (which is fortunately just dinner for me) and eat a nice low cal filling lunch. I found that water helped me a lot to feel more filling and to prevent myself from overeating unhealthy food. I'm also not very good at talking to my father, but better at talking to my mother. So I asked my mother if she could enforce that I need to not eat unhealthy stuff, and it's helped at the moment.
  • jordanlane07
    jordanlane07 Posts: 8 Member
    Oh my lord, I'm in that same situation where my family eats unhealthy and I'm pretty much to their mercy eating unhealthy food as well due to budget concerns. How I'm attempting to cope with it at the moment is eat tiny portions of that unhealthy food (which is fortunately just dinner for me) and eat a nice low cal filling lunch. I found that water helped me a lot to feel more filling and to prevent myself from overeating unhealthy food. I'm also not very good at talking to my father, but better at talking to my mother. So I asked my mother if she could enforce that I need to not eat unhealthy stuff, and it's helped at the moment.

Man I wish my family would be respectful or supportive. I've told my mother countless times that I'm trying to be healthy but then she'll get Little Caesar's for dinner. Idk. And I can't buy food for myself. Support is what I really need. Or someone to smack my head when I pick up something healthy. Lol
  • arcee101
    arcee101 Posts: 3 Member
    I feel your pain. I have two kids who don't need to diet with me, and a husband who is on adderall which suppresses his appetite enough that he can eat junk and fast food for every meal and not gain weight. Unfortunately my husband is a bit of an enabler and likes to bring me "treats" and I finally reached the point where I've had to detach myself from the family meals. It's been rough and it sucks not getting to participate with family, but if you can learn to resist what they are eating, you will feel very empowered, I assure you. Hang in there!! It gets easier
  • AlexYachiru
    AlexYachiru Posts: 79 Member
    You can add me
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

Man I wish my family would be respectful or supportive. I've told my mother countless times that I'm trying to be healthy but then she'll get Little Caesar's for dinner. Idk. And I can't buy food for myself. Support is what I really need. Or someone to smack my head when I pick up something healthy. Lol
    If you can't buy your own food, you have to work with what you have. What if you keep your plans to yourself and just eat what is served, but less?