Special K Challenge

Options
I was looking into trying this challenge out, but I wanted some input on it. Has anyone tried it? If so, did you like the results & were you able to keep off the weight after the 2 weeks were up?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It's just a marketing ploy to get you to buy Kellog products. All they are doing is reducing your calories. So you can reduce calories using MFP and eat what you want, or reduce calories eating Kellogs products twice a day.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm going to submit is that anytime you substitute a 400-500 calorie meal for a 100-200 calorie one and do that every day, you'll see some water weight loss. So yes, you will lose some weight. But, you more than likely will not be able to keep it off. My issue with Special K is the high fructose corn syrup and all of the other junk and chemicals in it. You can do the "Special K challenge" with any cereal, preferably one with less sugar and more protein/other good things for your body. The whole challenge really isn't that unique, honestly.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I really think it's just a clever marketing ploy to make people buy more special k! I also think it's about 17% sugar IIRC, so not very good for you! Happy to be corrected though :)
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    I remember trying it a few years ago. Gave up cause I got too hungry. Your body need 5-6 small meals a day otherwise your body stores calories as fat
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    The problem with special K is that while it's low calorie, it's not very high in, well, anything good for you. Instead of special K (and all it's various products) consider cereal that is low in fat/calories but higher in fiber. The 80 calorie fiber one cereal has more nutrients, way more fiber, and one bowl will actually fill you up.

When I tried the special K diet I just remember getting really sick of cereal really quickly, and not being able to stick to it for that simple reason.
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i agree with haylz24. i didn't last the first week. although i'm sure the calorie cut made me lose something, i was alway starving between meals, even though i was filling that space with fruit and veg like the diet tells you to. i'd just learn to figure out your own calories by staying here on MFP, that way you can keep it up long after.
    i do still eat a bowl of special K most mornings though, i find it to be very filling and relatively nutritional as well as tasty :)
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    great topic! Special K commercials make me want to try it(who doesnt want to comsume sweet things all day). I LOVE Special K Chocolatey Delight cereal as a sweet snack when Im craving sweets though.
  • Chel702
    Chel702 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you all for the input...wont be trying this diet!
  • Chel702
    Chel702 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you all for the input...wont be trying this diet!
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i agree with what everyone else is saying. also special k is REALLY high in sodium. a 30g bowl has 450mg of sodium!!