Geek gal restarting the journey, and looking for companions on an epic quest!

Options
Oh hi there! I’m a geek gal who’s restarted the weight loss journey so many times it’s like I was stuck on the end boss in a game.

Somehow I managed to miss life’s basic lessons of ‘Do it for yourself, no one else’, ‘Taking care of yourself is important’, and ‘If you can’t take care of yourself, how can you be there for anyone else?’

Nope, completely skipped that part somehow.

So here I am; sucking in a deep breath, restarting the game with my head on straight, my priorities sorted, and ready to see it through to the end.

And hoping to find some fellow geeks, nerds and like-minded people to go on this legendary quest with!

I dabble in a lot of different areas of nerdery and geekery:
• D&D (first time playing with friends, I’m hooked!)
• PC gaming - Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, XCOM, Stardew Valley, WoW
• Comics - Batman, the love is real
• Anything horror, from movies to shows to games (ie. Ringu, American Horror Story + Outlast)
• Sci-fi/fantasy – most anything Neil Gaiman, Hitchhiker’s Guide, Dune series, LOTR, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things
• History – Ancient anything the most, but you can find me on late night wiki hunts about North Korea, WWII, the French Revolution

Aaand because sometimes it’s relevant, here are some of my basic stats:
- Height: 5’4” (hobbits ftw!)
- Build: Medium hourglass
- HW: 225lbs
- SW: 206lbs
- GW: 125-135lbs (always been overweight so don’t really know what it’ll look like)
-
One of the most important lessons I learned being on and off MFP over the years was that you could never have too much support, and it makes a huge difference when the going gets tough.

So whether you’re like me and starting over, starting for the first time, well into your journey, whatever your flavor of nerd or geek, or if you’re just looking to have another active and engaged friend on your list, send me a request!

Replies

• isacarvleitao
    isacarvleitao Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I'm starting myself a new journey on this "weigh losing" world.
    Nice to meet you! My name is Isabela, I'm 21 and I'm from Brazil!
    I have to say "Sci-fi/fantasy – most anything Neil Gaiman, Hitchhiker’s Guide, Dune series, LOTR, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things" caught my attention! I absolutely LOVE Hitchhiker's Guide. Douglas Adams is my idol. Also love GOT, Stranger Things, and am starting to read some Neil Gaiman. I'm starting in the world of comics as well <3 I'm reading Ms. Marvel, Batwoman, and about to start Sandman. On PC gaming I'm playing only League of Legends as a guilty pleasure now and then, but I've played most of MMORPG out there (from Tibia to WoW), but unfortunately I don't have much time nowadays :(
    Anyway!

My Stats:
    Height:4'11'' (too short even for a hobbit, maybe? lol)
    SW:125 lbs
    CW:121lbs
    GW:105lbs

I have gained 17 pounds during the last 4 years (3,5 pounds in the last 4 months!) in university, and am determined to lose them and return to the body I had in high school. I've never been extremely lean (always had a curvy kind of body, with relatively big boobs, *kitten*, and legs) but I've sure been healthier before, so I aim to return to my previous self (and lose some belly fat D:).

I hope your journey here is filled with accomplishments and that you are happy throughout the process (the most important thing!).

GOOD LUCK! <3
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Batman and Daredevil fan
    Writer of Batman, DD and OUAT fanfic

5'3"
    SW 254
    CW 173.6
    GW 130
  • crawlinkingsnake
    Options
    Magic the gathering player and Tolkien aficionado here, I'm also on a major weight loss journey, check in daily and am very active. Sending a friend request your way.

5`10

SW: 265
    CW: 215
    GW: 165-170
  • RaevsReality
    RaevsReality Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @isacarvleitao Douglas Adams! Yes, started his books and absolutely fell in love his Hitchhiker's series. You're definitely hobbit-size, I'm probably a bit tall as one haha. I definitely understand the struggle to change habits and lifestyle after a while of not making it a priority for whatever reason. Sending a request your way, always happy to have more geeks on my list :)

@estherdragonbat A fanfic author, wewt! And omg, congrats on your loss so far! That is a massive accomplishment, how long have you been on this journey for? Also sending an add your way :)

@crawlinkingsnake Magic, I haven't played that since my early uni days, but did I love it. Also grats on your losses so far! Won't lie, it's really heartening to see so many people doing well for themselves so far, gives me hope for myself :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Accepted the add. I started last October 30th, so more than 10 months.
  • honeypogle2
    honeypogle2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

So pleased to find a thread that isn't either mums over 50 or extreme athletes, not that there's anything wrong with either but I'm neither!

General garden variety nerd stemmed from an interest in science (points if you spot the pun) but can be especially tempted by Dr who, Harry Potter or anything by Joss Whedon.

5'10
    Sw 154 pre app
    Cw 144
    Gw 133

Tbh not that motivated by weight but I'm looking to feel less like Mr Staypuffed and more like I belong in Themyscira.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Part of my motivation for being here is getting in better shape for cosplay, so I'm happy to see a few other geeks around here.

Hitchhiker's Guide fan? I like you already!

My favorite genre is modern fantasy or sci-fi/fantasy, but I like a little bit of everything. My brain is currently doing that Thing where I'm trying to list things I like but coming up with next to nothing, whoops...it doesn't help that I've been consumed by a single fandom for the past few months (Persona).

I've tried many times to get on top of my health and appearance for cosplay reasons but I've always failed. I have an eating disorder which has a very unfortunate relationship with my hobbies and, well...long-term picture, I've been stuck roughly in the same place for over a year because of the cyclical nature of it.

Now, I'm getting married next year, and that's serving as motivation to start early and stick with it - there's always "next convention" but I'm PLANNING on there not being a "next wedding". But, not gonna lie...I'm hoping I can get close to my goal weight sooner than that so I can show up to my next convention (in late January) looking like I've always wanted to.

Height: 5'9 1/2"
    Current weight: 213.6 lb
    Max weight: 325
    Goal weight: 160-ish
  • RaevsReality
    RaevsReality Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @honeypogle2 Yeah, that's why I ended up making this thread to begin with; to find more people that I could relate to and could hopefully relate to me. Even when people have different backgrounds and goals, having a common thread like geeking out together helps make a lifestyle change a bit more part of my life, you know?

Yay to science nerding and I definitely appreciate numbers not being the thing that defines the journey or goal, and feeling more butt-kicking Amazon is a great motivation to have! Sending a request your way :)

@explodingmango Yup, as someone who'd love to cosplay at least once, I appreciate the desire to look how you've always wanted to. And in spite of struggling with an ED, you're still on your journey and moving forward, that is worth applause on its own, adding you :D