Struggling with no control over meals at work

Options
I'm looking for some tips on how to maintain a healthy eating plan whilst having a job that means frequently eating out and having no control over what I order.
I work in a senior position in a relatively small company in the media industry. My schedule varies hugely from week to week - sometimes I'm at my desk most of the day, other days I am running from one meeting to another. I travel abroad for work approximately one week per month. While I am good with cooking healthy meals for myself in my own time, and bring my own lunch to the office most days, I am struggling with the impact of work demands on my health.
I have PCOS and struggle to lose weight despite doing varied workouts most days of the week. I am nearly at a reasonably healthy weight but have been steadily gaining over the past six months with new hormone medication, and I am trying desperately to lose the 10-15lbs I've gained so I can feel better, and get my energy and strength back.
An important part of my job is meeting with clients, often 2-3 lunches and dinners per week. When I'm abroad it's every day. It's very common in the city where I live for restaurants to serve small plates, and for people to "order for the table". Often this is in my clients' hands, as is the choice of restaurant. So I find myself regularly eating the kind of food I don't even want to eat, and it's getting in the way of my progress as I find myself trying to think of excuses to skip these lunches (which is becoming a problem for my job) or not eat, without anyone noticing, and bring my own food to eat before or after. It's a very male dominated industry and I am often the only female at the table, and I'm made fun of if I choose a salad or something light. Being a vegetarian gets me out of a lot of dishes, but if everyone wants to go to a burger place or order pizza in for a working lunch, I don't always have options.
Help! Does anyone have any advice on managing this, if reducing the amount of work commitments at mealtimes is not an option?
Sorry for the long post, but I thought a bit of background might help.
Thanks!

Replies

• pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How about eating what they want at lunch, just don´t eat a lot?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    eat what is available, but log it - you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as it fits your calories - you don't have to exist on salads
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't eat food you don't want to eat. If you want to eat it, just eat less. There are no magic solutions, I'm afraid.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Have you tried explaining about the medication?
    You don't have to give details, just say that you are on medication that makes you out on weight. Then order the salad. It is difficult when the menu is out of control, my boyfriend made a dinner at his house last night which was around 1,600 calories! I ate less and excersized more today to make up for It, but I was really upset that he didn't take my diet into account when planning the meal.
    You could also call the restaurant in advance and explain your situation, my friend does this all the time as she has mega high cholesterol and is on a low fat diet.
    The other alternative is to really restrict your calories for the other two meals per day.
    Good luck, I know it's really difficult.
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is estimate portion sizes. If you're abroad and the food served isn't what you want, look at the serving spoon and compare it to the palm of your hand. Be honest with your eyeballing and only take what's the size of your palm. Load up on the available vegetables and fruit.

thechiopodist's suggestion to call the restaurant ahead of time is good, or use your phone ahead of time to look up the nutrition facts.

Unfortunately, we can't expect others to take our nutrition needs and diets into consideration when they take us to restaurants or make us meals. It would be rude otherwise, and it's our responsibility to take action over what we can control. I think you can use the fact you're a vegetarian in your favor-- after all, if the options are limited in the first place, who cares if the guys poke fun? It's always bugged me to see how others think they can dictate what others should eat simply because they're shoveling crap into their mouths.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's a tough situation, I'm sure, but not unmanageable. First, if you can decline food for vegetarian preferences, you can decline other food for other preferential reasons. Second, as mentioned above, is the impact of your medication. Look at this way, there are lots of people who can't eat certain foods because of their medication or medical condition. I figured I could manage what I eat for weight loss or I could later manage what I eat due to diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure, etc. So I chose to manage it for weight loss. You don't need to give detailed explanations, just say I need to order a plate of X because of medical considerations. You still might get derided by these rude male clients, but so be it. Just let it roll off as best you can.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Eating out isn't too difficult and I'm very vocal about choosing a place I have scoped in advance that I know has good options for me. My biggest problem is when lunch is ordered in - I always try to catch the person ordering in advance to make sure there is a vegetarian meal for me. And sometimes, I just bring my own lunch to meetings where lunch will be served. People really don't care and are very respectful.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the portion size. No one expects the females to keep up with the guys for drinks or food. The food waste used to bother me, but I figure throwing out half a burger is better than me being overweight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat a smaller portion and get a side salad to bulk out your meal.
    Let them order what they want and order what you want since you have a different diet.
    Eat less at your other meals that day.

I think it is crazy that someone would order for a whole table like that without getting input. With allergies, special diets for health and food preferences I can't imagine doing that for people I don't know well.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on the customs of the country. I can easily imagine a client ordering for the table, especially if there is a language barrier. Even in California where we are VERY sensitive to food issues there are still rolled eyes if someone is extra particular (my favorite --gluten free vegan with nut allergy. So not fun at the company potluck.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Apart form the PCOS I am in a similar boat work wise and it is hard.
    A lot of it has to do with knowing where and what. For instance this week I had two meeting with lunch. I know what they serve and accounted for that by adjusting my evening meal.
    Next week that won't be possible as i am away in a hotel for quite a bit of time. Still the places I go I know what they serve for lunch and dinner well that is hit and miss but these are my strategies:
    Ensure I buy some fruits there or take it with me if it is two days. Quite often there will be (small) supermarkets where I go and though the fruit is not as good and expensive it is worth it. Most hotel rooms have a refrigerator and I use it for my food, not the bar stuff.
    I have difficulty where a hotel has a breakfast bar or buffet type dinner. Hate those as I tend to overeat - my eyes are the my downfall there.
    I also try (note try) to have a hotel where it means I have to walk to my meeting venue and/or have the opportunity to walk.

No hotel breakfast - get a pot of yoghurt with fruit and/or muesli Or when in Paris a croissant and coffee
    lunch: If they have it a salad or one large sandwich and I only will drink water. This wil be air this week as the deserts are awesome at my meeting location.
    dinner: Soup (no bread), salad - dressing on the side for control, grilled or steamed fish. Side salads as I always find veggies to be underrepresented in restaurant food. A good strategy often is go for two starters, one served as a main. My dessert is a cup of tea.

I aso accept that that there will be more sodium in the food, that combined with the travel means I will hold water weight for a few days.
    I have been here for more than 3.5 years and been having this travel issues for the same time. These strategies worked for me.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these suggestions, I have the same problem!