Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    If one "higher risk" group is targeted, then all higher risk groups should be targeted.
    Those who participate in extreme sports or endurance sports are at bigger risk of needing expensive surgeries.
    Those who ride a bicycle to work are at higher risk of serious injury than people who drive.
    Someone who drives a car instead of taking 2 to 4 times as long to get to work public transportation are at bigger risk.
    Basically anyone who is not a couch potato, consuming food in perfect equilibrium, is at higher risk of incurring higher medical expenses.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    If one "higher risk" group is targeted, then all higher risk groups should be targeted.
    Those who participate in extreme sports or endurance sports are at bigger risk of needing expensive surgeries.
    Those who ride a bicycle to work are at higher risk of serious injury than people who drive.
    Someone who drives a car instead of taking 2 to 4 times as long to get to work public transportation are at bigger risk.
    Basically anyone who is not a couch potato, consuming food in perfect equilibrium, is at higher risk of incurring higher medical expenses.

Except that being a couch potato is one of the highest risk factors for serious, chronic health problems and early death. Those others you describe are at higher risk for accidents. Couch potatoes are at risk for chronic diseases. Just sayin'. ;)
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband's employer offers a discount for participating is healthy lifestyle seminars and routine well-checks. I'd rather incentivise healthy lifestyles than punish unhealthy ones. I know, I know, potato pot-tah-to. But it seems like a more positive, easier to swallow spin.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    How 'bout if instead of charging more for the obese they include coverage that would help them, like nutrition therapy? That's only covered once you've develpoed a condition like diabetes. Discounts for gym memberships, maybe?
    ...but then again I've never thought insurance companies were actually interested in getting people healthy. The more people in general are unhealthy, the more they can justify raising rates. Same thing with the modern medical/pharmaceutical induatry- they don't make money if they actually heal you, so they just treat the symptoms.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Skinny doesn't mean healthy and fat doesn't mean unhealthy
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    mikek333 wrote: »
    Yes, they do it for life insurance. Also, why should I have to pay more than someone who can't be bothered to stop stuffing their face full of twinkies and get out and go for a walk?

Life insurance and health insurance are two very different products.

Also, are you kittening serious??
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    No. I don't think we should charge obese, chronically ill, female, or disabled patients more. End of story. But I do think that health insurance should better cover preventative care and/or lifestyle interventions. Like imagine if we could just fund nutritionists and therapists for people with all sorts of health problems, whether underweight or obese or chronically ill; we will likely see a reduction in dependence on expensive medical interventions.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Yes, they do it for life insurance. Also, why should I have to pay more than someone who can't be bothered to stop stuffing their face full of twinkies and get out and go for a walk?

I can't get life insurance or long term disability that requires medical clearance because I wad once diagnosed with sleep apnea. Doesn't matter that I don't have it anymore. It is in my medial record. Plus a polyp removed that had abnormal cells but not yet considered pre- cancerous.
  • bweath2
    Options

So should they charge more for women who keep getting pregnant because they can't seem to stop whatever it is they are doing to get pregnant?
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, only skimmed a few. But, here's a little bit of personal experience in terms of weight, BMI and health insurance...

A number of years ago, before "Affordable" Health Care Act, I was self-employed with a family (wife with a pre-existing condition and a teenage son). I found it was very difficult to find private health insurance. Between her pre-existing condition, and my BMI (34%, and was very muscular due to powerlifting/strongman competitions), we were either declined or would have to pay an outrageous amount for really poor coverage. We wound up having to go with the poor coverage/high cost, otherwise, we would be without.

During the time I was searching for health insurance, I was being told my BMI was unacceptable. This was them not even looking at a medical chart, nor doing a physical on me. I offered to pay for a physical, at a doctor of their choice, to show I was healthy so long as they accepted it and covered me. They told me that they couldn't, due to how their programs read charts and compare numbers to determine. i asked if an underwriter would change it. Was again denied.

So, yes, at least back then they did charge more and/or deny coverage based on weight/BMI. Later, mine was rescinded because I neglected to write down that I went to a chiropractor for routine adjustments due to my strongman training. Which, is another story in and of itself...

As to the amount one pays for health insurance, I have zero issues if it is adjusted based upon health conditions. Charge more for pre-existing conditions, obesity, etc. While charging less for those whom can verifiably prove they are healthy. It is a reward program with incentives to be healthy. Heck, I know of insurance companies who will knock $1200/year off a family plan so long as certain conditions are met. Again, no issues there.

All that being said, here's where I have issues with health insurance and their plans:

1) Insurance should be charged by the person. Not by family. For example, why should a family of three pay the exact same premium as a family of eight?

2) The BMI chart is known to be faulty. Even the modified version for the military is. Therefore, if a person is on the heavier side due to heavy muscle mass, bone density, etc, give them a fitness test that is fair. If they can pass it, give them coverage at the standard rate. No issues if an annual physical shows this is no longer the case.

There are others. But, those are my big two. Now, on the flip side, it's been shown that our existing Gov't mandated health insurance is not "Affordable" and expenses keep skyrocketing. I see this as being caused by a few different reasons:

1) Rather than going to urgent care, or a regular doctor, many people will go sit in an ER waiting room for minor things that could be seen by a regular doctor. Most of them are lower income class, or immigrants, whom can't afford it. So, they go to ER and many times the bills are absorbed by those of us who do pay.
    2) Most Americans with insurance rarely will bat an eye at the expenses of medical treatment, surgery, or otherwise. Why? Because they're "glad they aren't paying for it". But, they do complain about the percentage that isn't covered. If they were to pay closer attention to costs, and scrutinize charges, I'm sure it might help cut down on both number of visits which may not necessarily be needed as well as help control medical costs. Remove insurance, and they'd really think twice about some procedures...
    3) Various other things such as costs to get FDA approval, malpractice insurance/laws, etc.

Regarding the first two, it will require a major change in thought process for when one should go be seen, and what kind of facility they need to go to.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »

So should they charge more for women who keep getting pregnant because they can't seem to stop whatever it is they are doing to get pregnant?
    They already do, it's called the "self and family" rate of health insurance.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Skinny doesn't mean healthy and fat doesn't mean unhealthy

Being fat is unhealthy. Just like smoking is unhealthy. A current smoker may not have lung cancer, but their risk is much greater than it would be if they didn't smoke. An obese person may not currently have diabetes, or high blood pressure, but they are greatly increasing their risk for a number of health issues. Anything that increases your risk like obesity does has to be considered unhealthy.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »
    How 'bout if instead of charging more for the obese they include coverage that would help them, like nutrition therapy? That's only covered once you've developed a condition like diabetes. Discounts for gym memberships, maybe?

They've gotten a lot better about stuff like that in recent years though. Some companies do give back an allotment of cash to be used at selected vendors which includes gyms, or things like nutrition classes. (ETA: as either a debit card accepted by certain vendors, or gyms will have pricing coordinated with some of the insurance companies).
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have insurance from Aetna through my employer. Our plan includes big discounts for gym memberships, professional services like nutritionists and personal trainers, etc. We also have a reward program through Redbrick where we get discounts on our premiums, up to $300/yr, and can additionally earn up to $300/yr in cash rewards by completing certain activities.

I've only just recently started taking advantage of all that, and beating myself up over the $3000 I left on the table over the last 5 years with my employer that I didn't realize we had these options.
  • nballos77
    nballos77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No but instead they should get a discount if they start a diet program
  • bweath2
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I have insurance from Aetna through my employer. Our plan includes big discounts for gym memberships, professional services like nutritionists and personal trainers, etc. We also have a reward program through Redbrick where we get discounts on our premiums, up to $300/yr, and can additionally earn up to $300/yr in cash rewards by completing certain activities.

I've only just recently started taking advantage of all that, and beating myself up over the $3000 I left on the table over the last 5 years with my employer that I didn't realize we had these options.

@ritzvin @jdlobb
    I'll have to look into that this open season. I used to have aetna and at the time the only gym type benefit was a discount for Curves. Not exactly helpful for me. Right now I have Kaiser Permanente. No gym/nutrition benefits that I know of.