Motivation needed!!

Options
I've been exercising and watching my intake for over 2 months and i've only lost 7 pounds and the last 2 weeks, my weigh ins have been going up, not down!! it's just sooooo annoying that I'm not seeing better results with my exercising and watching calories! any thoughts or words of wisdom or motivation would be GREAT! thanks!

Replies

• smallerthighs
    Options
    What's your calorie range..and what are your meals and snacks like? Are you drinking your 8 cups of water a day....and logging every bite and drink..even gum?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring/weighing your food?
    Are you eating too much?
    Are you eating too LITTLE?
    Are you eating your exercise calories?
    Are you pushing yourself when exercising?
    Are you consistent?
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    Did you take any measurements before you started? Maybe you are losing inches and not pounds. Also, if you are exercising you could be building muscle. Muscle is denser than fat so it could make the scale show a higher number. Just hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. Make sure you're not eating foods with a lot of salt also. Good luck and don't give up!!!
  • mnm23
    mnm23 Posts: 4
    Options
    yup - i'm logging everything, except the gum i'm chewing right now; drinking at least 8 cups of water a day; based on my logs, i'm anywhere between 1200 and 1400 cal a day; with 3 meals and 2 snacks; meals consist of veggies, protein and carbs (pretty well balanced) (ie, lunch was some tomatoes, cucumbers, lean cuisine and light string cheese)!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the weight doesn't go down as quick as we'd like, but you already lost 7 pounds, so keep doing your exercises and don't overdo you calories and drink lot's of water. You are getting there just believe in yourself and you will get to your goal as everyone is :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MyFitPALmichelle
    MyFitPALmichelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    7 lbs in 2 months is almost a pound a week. Slower weight loss is SO much better for you and stays off better :) keep up the good work!!!!!
  • mnm23
    Options
    i am working out 3-5 times a week (depends on the kids); what are exercise calories??? yes, i have been measuring the food; and i did some measurements, and have lost a few inches
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    i am working out 3-5 times a week (depends on the kids); what are exercise calories??? yes, i have been measuring the food; and i did some measurements, and have lost a few inches

Exercise calories are the calories you burn during exercise. MFP has you operating at a caloric deficit even when you don't exercise, so those calories are added to your daily total.

Your NET calories (on your home page) should be as close to the daily goal MFP set for you as possible.

Your REMAINING calories (on your homepage and food diary page) should be as close to zero as possible.
  • frogwarring
    frogwarring Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I had the same issue for awile, before I joined this site. What I did was I started makeing shur I mesured out regular prtions on a big dinner plate. When the plate was full of the food I wanted I took a knife and cut everything in half. I put that portion on the smalled plate. Then I used my son's metal baby spoon and fork to eat. The babby utensals helped me to geat slower. By the time I finish what is on the small Plate I am usualy satisfied and dont want the other half. I also wach how many calories I am using, and if I know I amgoing to go over my limit I make sher to do extra exersises. I am also going to try to make 6 small meals instead of three big ones. Keep me up dated on how you are doing.
    G
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am new to this site, but before I joined MFP I logged everything into a "diary" that I carried with me everywhere. I took a few nutrition classes to help co-workers build diet plans that would work for them after they seen how successful mine had been. As previously posted are you eating too little? This would be my first thought if you have given yourself an honest assessment of your caloric intake. Weight loss takes time!!! With us being a "HIGH SPEED" society we want everything RIGHT NOW! My thought is that you may have dropped your calories too quickly. For example if you previously gave your body 3500 calories a day and drop it to 1500 to start with you send you're body into starvation mode. I can not see what MFP has set up for you but if you take the long hard road of a healthy lifestyle to keep it off I would reduced the caloric intake gradually and give your body time to adjust. Just my 2 cents :wink:
  • mnm23
    Options
    thanks everyone for your thoughts and words of wisdom -- i wasn't expecting all these responses and so fast too!! this is GREAT!
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the slower the pounds tend to come off. You may need to recalculate your calories to eat per day. Now that you are 7 pounds lighter, you need less calories to maintain. Also, like previous post said, muscle weighs more than fat. So you may have lost fat, but gained muscle. Measuring inches and judging how clothes fit is a good measure. I stopped logging my exercise and go with about 1500 calories/day whether I exercise or not, and that works for me. I found that when I wore my heart rate monitor and logged the calories it said I burned that I did not lose much weight after eating the extra calories earned. I don't know if you are logging your exercise, but perhaps it is inaccurate and giving you too many extra calories to eat.