Older crock pots

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
When crock pots first came out in the 70s, we were told to always make sure they are half full of liquid to cover the heating element. Nowdays I see lots of recipes than don't use much liquid at all. Has there been a change in how the pots are made so you no longer need as much liquid, or is just that that idea was incorrect? (Yes, my pot from 1977 still works!)

Replies

• dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    They are still made the same way and yes the crock can crack from changes in temperature. I think crock pot recommends a minimum of 1/2 Cup liquid in a large crock pot. Now I have put an entire chicken in a crock pot without any liquid to start. It was just fine.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have an old crock pot - it was a friend's mom's from Weight Watchers (works perfect, just not very fancy). Not sure what year, but it's at least from the early 80's.

I make a Carnitas Recipe with no liquid and works perfectly EVERY TIME. The Crock is fine and I haven't had any trouble with the heating element.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks, good to know! I'd hate to replace one that has lasted 40 years, because a new one probably won't last 4 years, lol! (I had one toaster oven for 30 years. Something on it broke in a move, and I've had about 5 since, none as good as the first one.)