I gained a half a pound this past week Ugh!

what am i doing wrong? just needed to vent i guess. i've been keeping a lot more active then i've ever been. i go to the gym 3 times a week and do 30 minutes of really good cardio on the elliptical. sometimes i'll add in weights, sometimes not. then on the weekends i mow the lawn and do yard work for my cardio.

i've been sticking to the calorie intake suggested. i do have one free day a week, where i kind of don't worry about what i'm eating, but i'm still very conscious of what i eat, like if i know we're going to do pizza, i'll have a really light breakfast and lunch.

any suggestions? i really don't want to quit on this, but it's hard to be motivated when the results are very slow!!

Replies

• jbelldesign
    jbelldesign Posts: 9 Member
    what am i doing wrong? just needed to vent i guess. i've been keeping a lot more active then i've ever been. i go to the gym 3 times a week and do 30 minutes of really good cardio on the elliptical. sometimes i'll add in weights, sometimes not. then on the weekends i mow the lawn and do yard work for my cardio.

i've been sticking to the calorie intake suggested. i do have one free day a week, where i kind of don't worry about what i'm eating, but i'm still very conscious of what i eat, like if i know we're going to do pizza, i'll have a really light breakfast and lunch.

any suggestions? i really don't want to quit on this, but it's hard to be motivated when the results are very slow!!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    You're workingout alot so I'm sure you're gaining muscle weight.
    No need to beat yourself up.
    I gained a pound 2 weeks ago but lost it plus one more last week... no biggie.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll get discouraged and then there goes all of your hard work.
  • LadyZoe
    LadyZoe Posts: 36 Member
    I posted this earlier on, It may be helpful for you...

During the first week or so of introducing more food, you may experience some scale weight. This is fake weight and can be contributed for many reasons.

1.) Consuming more food means by pure odds that you will also be consuming more sodium. More Sodium than usual, every day for a week can bloat you close to 2 more lbs.

2.) Waste. The human body can hold up to 8lbs of waste. If you eat more, your body is temporarily going to hold more.

The weight gained in the first couple weeks cannot be fat as long as you are under your Sedentary caloric burn.

Usually this weight gain scares many people away from eating more. They panic and cut their eating habits too much. Getting into an unhealthy pattern and putting their metabolism into a stand still from the lack of the ((minimum)) 1200 calorie intake needed to even function from day to day.
    from www.TakeActionFitness.com
    It may give some better insight?
    Good luck !

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Aerobics-2267/Gaining-instead-losing-weight.htm
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    You are trusting too much in your scale, Mine is guaranteed to be accurate to 0.2 pounds, but my weight will vary a full pound or more within a five minute period, with no eating, sweating or bathroom.

I am in this for the long run, and that is the only way the scale is useful. Give it time.
  • jbelldesign
    jbelldesign Posts: 9 Member
    thanks guys! :)

i keep telling myself that i am probably just gaining muscle. i have some girlfriends at work that are on the same path as myself and they're pretty encouraging as well, so hopefully i will be able to see more results as i continue to workout. i should not be so dependent on the scale, you're right about that! i weigh myself every day, but i only log it in to the site on mondays, in the morning from the same scale at the office. so i'm trying to be better about that!

thanks for the support and the suggestions!

at least i'm not as miserable as airpayne! LOL (maybe that was supposed to make me feel better?)

have a good week guys!! :O)
  • Your Awesome Keep it up ! I just joined! yay