Vegan Diet

Is anyone on here vegan and how are they finding it?
Any change in energy levels/ health/ other physical aspects?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Is anyone on here vegan and how are they finding it?
    Any change in energy levels/ health/ other physical aspects?
    I really wanted to cut out animal products and I did for 6 weeks. But almost from the first day my energy level dropped drastically. I upped my protein to 70-80 grams daily (I'm 128#) within the first week. I ate a balanced diet and all I did was replace meat with soy and added in a protein bar and protein shake while cutting out some candy snack food. I'm in maintenance so wasn't on much of a calorie deficit. My brain was in a type of fog for the whole time. I was tired all the time.

Last weekend I started eating meat again. Within a few hours my mind got clear and sharp and my energy is finally back to normal. It just didn't work for me, but was east to implement and to cut out meat. I'd give it a try if you want to be a vegan. Most people do great.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    I am vegetarian with a vegan leaning. When I eat well (less processed food, more veggies and fruit, etc), I feel great! Lots of energy, my super sensitive and dry skin improves, I have less issues with headaches, and my body recovers from stress faster. When I eat poorly (get carried away with cheese-my weakness, go heavy on the processed carbs- I don't avoid things like bread and pasta at all, but when I'm eating well, they are balanced with lots of veggies, eat lots of sweets and other snack type stuff)my energy gets low, my mood gets low, my skin gets angry and dry, I have a tendency to be a lot more achy, and I struggle more with headaches.

Everyone is different, so YMMV.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    PS- I eat very little "replacement" foods. I'll eat a little tofu a couple of times a week, and some seitan occasionally, and will indulge in a veggie burger or black bean burger when out with friends sometimes, but most of my protein comes from beans, lentils, nuts, and dark, leafy greens. I keep a vegan protein powder on hand to make quick shakes or smoothies mostly because I'm often too lazy too eat most mornings.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I am vegan, and have been for a year.
    Although I did it for the animals, I have seen numerous health benefits along with it.
    I use to have chronic eczema and was told by the homeopath that my gut would take years to heal itself from its imbalances and intolerances.
    Within months of being vegan, I was able to consume gluten without any inflammation.
    It sounds odd but I could truly feel my body healing itself.
    Overall I feel twice as energetic, light, clear minded, less susceptible to depression, healthier hair, and recover from flu in half the time I usually would.

Definitely do tons of research before jumping into it, as you will find without the right information you may end up lacking nutrients which will result in bad experiences and most likely reverting back to your previous lifestyle.
    Veganism is healthy, if done properly.
    All the best xx

Are you aware that homeopaths aren't actually medical doctors? Often their education is distance learning from unaccredited institutions.

You probably are healthier because you are thinking about your diet more than you did before going vegan. I've known some severely overweight and unhealthy vegans too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I didn't notice any changes in my health or energy when I went vegan. I've been vegan for about ten years now.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Although I did it for the animals, I have seen numerous health benefits along with it.
    I use to have chronic eczema and was told by the homeopath that my gut would take years to heal itself from its imbalances and intolerances.
    Within months of being vegan, I was able to consume gluten without any inflammation.
    Overall I feel twice as energetic, light, clear minded, less susceptible to depression, healthier hair, and recover from flu in half the time I usually would.

Definitely do tons of research before jumping into it, as you will find without the right information you may end up lacking nutrients which will result in bad experiences and most likely reverting back to your previous lifestyle.
    All the best xx

Are you aware that homeopaths aren't actually medical doctors? Often their education is distance learning from unaccredited institutions.

You probably are healthier because you are thinking about your diet more than you did before going vegan. I've known some severely overweight and unhealthy vegans too.

I am fully aware that a homeopath is not the same thing as a doctor.
    My family does not believe in doctors this me using the only option I had.. a doctor would give me pills and chemicals. The homeopath explained the process in which allergies develop and why my body was reacting that way. With that knowledge, I was able to heal my gut without any medication.

Are you aware that everything is a chemical? Dyhydrogen monoxide is one we need to live.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member

All the best xx

I am fully aware that a homeopath is not the same thing as a doctor.
    My family does not believe in doctors this me using the only option I had.. a doctor would give me pills and chemicals. The homeopath explained the process in which allergies develop and why my body was reacting that way. With that knowledge, I was able to heal my gut without any medication.

Are you aware that everything is a chemical? Dyhydrogen monoxide is one we need to live.

Are you both aware this is derailing?

OP - CMtigger is correct. Vegan is only as healthy as you make it, just like an Omni diet. There is junk food on both sides and switching to vegan doesn't automatically mean weight loss.

I became vegan for health reasons, blood pressure and cholesterol specifically and I've had drastic improvements in both, however I gained 10lbs in the switch.
  • Ellenharea
    Ellenharea Posts: 1 Member
    I'm vegan! Vegan junk food exists (I would know lol) and it can mean you won't see as much of the weight loss benefits as some do. However eating a whole food vegan diet is very helpful to weight loss. For me when I started I was eating a lot of fresh fruit, veg, grains and nuts. I have never felt better. My skin cleared up and my body felt healthier. One mistake I see a lot of people making is not eating enough on a vegan diet and thinking all they can eat is vegetables and fruits, but you need a more varies diet. Most also need a B12 supplement because it could leave you feeling tired of you don't.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    I smell less. Strange side effect I know. I started eating something green every day. Weird. Was meat making me smell or is it something about the greens?
  • Figuredat
    Figuredat Posts: 22 Member
    I've been vegan for three months now. At first I was feeling tired but I realized I was not eating healthy. I was just eating processed food that did not contain dairy, milk or meat and legumes and meat substitutes. These last few days I've changed my diet and began eating more plants(fruits and vegetables) and I have way more energy. I've only lost a few pounds but have also started back working out. My advice, eat a mostly plant based diet because you won't see a difference substituting junk for junk.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    I smell less. Strange side effect I know. I started eating something green every day. Weird. Was meat making me smell or is it something about the greens?
    Me too! I usually only put deodorant on for work (just in case) and for the dance studio (again, just in case. I want my dance partners to actually want to dance with me!). I think eliminating meat and dairy can really help if you have BO issues. Or at least reducing both. I think a lot of vegans, and even some vegetarians find that they are less smelly.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    A vegan diet can be as healthy or unhealthy as an omnivorous diet.

This. ^ And this is coming from a lifelong vegetarian who has been both fat and in shape.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    I've tried it and gone back to meat several times; now I'm transitioning slowly. I only buy dairy/eggs every other grocery trip now, but sometimes have meat if I'm at someone's house for dinner. I don't think how I feel is correlated to my diet; I've felt horrible on a vegan diet and horrible on an omnivorous diet. Now that I pay attention to what I eat and focus on whole foods rather than only meat substitutes, and make sure I get enough calories, I'm doing okay. But with an omnivorous diet, I've found there's more room for error; I'm still working on good eating habits as I reduce my reliance on animal products.
  • dchellebelle
    dchellebelle Posts: 2 Member
    I started transitioning into a plant-based diet 4 months ago. I had hypothyroidism, anemia, Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, and kidney disease. I had no energy for anything and was on insulin. I was killing myself with my diet

My digestive issues immediately disappeared. (I think I had leaky gut.] I barely take any insulin, some days none at all. I stopped synthroid so my hair stopped falling out so fast, and I have a ton more energy. And, my bp is improving weekly. Plus, I'm losing weight while eating all I want. The key is to avoid process foods (even if labelled vegan...oreos are vegan. Lol), eat high fiber (40g + daily) and don't eat any dairy or meat. (My weakness was cheese. I'm over it now.) And yes, I get plenty of protein! Also, limit oils because they have more calories per gram. But, it's ok to incoporate healthy fats from nuts & seeds occasionally.

Now, my dad is going to try it out and I'm super excited for him. I told him to transition at his own pace,.. if he has a moment of weakness, move past it with a healthy meal, and just try new recipes. Your taste buds really do start craving the healthy stuff over the bad foods within 2-3 weeks.

My biggest tip is to do your research. Look up Dr. Neal Barnard and Michael Greger for starters.

Good luck!