Lowering carbs

Options
This week I am going to try and lower my carbs and caffeine and increase water intake.

Not sure if this will work?

I usually have bread and pasta or rice everyday and this week, well Monday to Thursday I am going to try and have either one of the other rather than both? Any thoughts please?

I am also lowering caffeine as I've been told too much caffeine could cause constipation and would also make my bladder problem worse.

Last week I gained weight whilst taking painkillers for toothache and didn't drink enough water and I am convinced this caused the weight gain? Any ideas grateful welcomed xxx

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This week I am going to try and lower my carbs and caffeine and increase water intake.

Not sure if this will work?
    Work for what? To lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than you burn, consistently.
    I usually have bread and pasta or rice everyday and this week, well Monday to Thursday I am going to try and have either one of the other rather than both? Any thoughts please?
    Two sources of starch per meal is normally a bit overkill. Do you mean per day? If so, why?
    I am also lowering caffeine as I've been told too much caffeine could cause constipation and would also make my bladder problem worse.
    How much is too much? Do you drink that much? Does it cause constipation for you? Does it impact your bladder problem?
    Last week I gained weight whilst taking painkillers for toothache and didn't drink enough water and I am convinced this caused the weight gain? Any ideas grateful welcomed xxx
    You gain weight by consistently eating more calories than you burn. It's extremely hard, if not impossible, to see real weight gain or loss through normal water weight fluctuations, until you have at least a couple of weeks of reliable, comparable scale readings.
  • SarahR2412
    SarahR2412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If I eat too many starchy foods I bloat and get tummy ache plus too much caffeine makes me leak more when I jog. I think pasta and potatoes causes the bloat more than rice and bread. I think I've sorted it answered my own question but do appreciate any input xxx
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Caffeine makes me go to the bathroom also. It's a diuretic. Same problem. But it only lasts for about an hour.
    Yes, too much can cause constipation, but two cups a day should be ok. If you stop the caffeine cold turkey expect some headaches.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I grew up with the idea that some type of grain or potato was served with every meal. Rice, pasta, bread and/or potato. That was one of the first rules I dropped once I was out on my own. I still eat all of these, but not at every meal. A lot of my meals are just meat and vegetables. It really helps with weight control for me.

this. I moved starches to the smallest side rather than the main side. Made a huge difference, also cut hundreds of calories out of big meals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I grew up with the idea that some type of grain or potato was served with every meal. Rice, pasta, bread and/or potato. That was one of the first rules I dropped once I was out on my own. I still eat all of these, but not at every meal. A lot of my meals are just meat and vegetables. It really helps with weight control for me.

This is the same for me too. Growing up we'd have a starchy side always (not larger than the veg course, though, and not two separate starches). I often build meals that way now (protein, veg, starch) but also often just have meat and veg.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

I was raised the same way but with the understanding the side dish was just pretty much extra calories. If we weren't hungry we only had to finish our meat and vegetables. If we wanted a second helping of whatever the starchy side was, again, we had to finish our meat and vegetables first.

My grandmother said we needed a starch once or twice a week though so I still incorporate beans and starchy vegetables into my fairly strict low carb diet just in case she's right.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I grew up the same. Even now if I skip the carb I really feel like I "need" some toast or some crackers after my meal, especially if I have an entree salad.
  • SarahR2412
    SarahR2412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your comments xxxx
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am quite similar so i do tend to eat these sorts of carbs one meal per day only. (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in lower calorie / lower carb alternatives to pasta, try Zoodles (zucchini noodles) and spaghetti squash. They have really been helpful to me as a diabetic.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Just FYI: Painkillers are also notorious for causing constipation and yes, constipation can cause bloating and temporary weight gain. Stay within your calorie goals and you will lose weight over the long-term. Everyone has small gains from time to time because weight loss is not linear and our bodies are all different. I eat some type of carb with every meal, whether it's bread, rice, potatoes or pasta, I just try to make sure I also meet my protein goals each day, stay within my calorie total and I'm losing about a pound a week pretty consistently. Logging everything you eat and drink, every day is the key.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you do lower carbs, it probably will help with bloating. Lower carbs causes lower insulin which will result in less water retention, BUT be aware that you'll be losing electrolytes and may need to increase your salt to replace the electrolytes that you have lost.

If you get a headache, fatigue, nausea, BM issues, brain fog or muscle aches, that means you need a lot more salt.