Wanted... online MFP Experineced gymbud/mentor/supporter..... Please

Options
HighlandPony17
HighlandPony17 Posts: 55 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
As a newbie to excercising and working out at the gym would like someone i can go to for motivation support and advice on this forum. I am a plus sized approx 19 stone 5 lbs ( or 123 kgs), ex smoker.. 51 year old female. Going to a gym for the first time. I want to lose weight, tone up increase, my stamina and build strength.

I am making this a serious lifestyle change due to health issues, so healthy eating too. I am losing weight lost 7 lbs so far in just over a month....Feel free to add me

HELP Please :dizzy:

Replies

• HighlandPony17
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My current routine.... is 10 mins biking, 10 mins walking on threadmill at 3 km and hour and 10 mins biking...i swim for an hour ....jaccuzzi/ steam room to relax.

Plan to add in the rower/cross trainer as my fitness improves and weights to my work out.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request. I'm 55 yrs old. I was once 261 lbs, maintained an 80+ loss for a several years and since I hit 50, have been yo-yo ing with 20 lbs or so. I love to cook, and making most of my food is key to my weight loss. I bike quite often for transportation and strength train 2 or 3 times a week. I run off and on but would like to start doing that on a regular basis.

Are you working out for 90 minutes at a time or am I reading this wrong? Were you active before or is this new? Going from zero exercise to a 90 min routine might be a bit hard to maintain. I've always thought that moving every day and throughout the day was more important than a few longer workouts a week.

Most people will suggest getting to those weights sooner vs later. And I agree. There's an awesome thread in the success stories - I'll find it and post it with regards to women lifting.

One thing that helped me after years and years of losing 50 lbs then quickly gaining it back was to take it slow - start adding healthy habits in small increments - in other words, I didn't radically change everything at once. If you are used to eating 3 or 4,000 calories and dramatically drop to 1300 a day - you will soon give up (well, I would!)

Good luck!
  • bebeisfit
    Options
  • HighlandPony17
    Options
    Hi and thank you :)

I have been working out for 30 mins in gym and 60 mins swimming for almost a month now. I keep trying to tell my hubby not to do such stringent meals as he cooks..... But he thinks I should be on tiny meals but I will be ill with the working out I am doing and still feel hungry so snacking between meals :(
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Eat! Plan some healthy snacks - apple or pear with some cheese or an ounce of nuts or hummus and vegetables. I also love soup, and I make it often (it usually has lots of beans and vegetables and fiber!) and eat as a snack or small meal. And especially with an hour swim - I'd be starved! My experience has been the more I restrict myself, the more I binge. Of course, what works for me may not work for you. Some people only eat 3 times a day, some 6...

You set a really healthy goal of 1 lb a week.. what did MFP say your daily calories should be?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi and thank you :)

I have been working out for 30 mins in gym and 60 mins swimming for almost a month now. I keep trying to tell my hubby not to do such stringent meals as he cooks..... But he thinks I should be on tiny meals but I will be ill with the working out I am doing and still feel hungry so snacking between meals :(

Make your own meals of what hes making isn't adequate. If he isnt getting the hint then actions speak louder than words!
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm three years into my transformation. Started at 215 lbs, now at 170, and now just focused on staying here and keeping fit. Using MFP, I started walking aggressively, which worked dramatically for a while. Then I started "running;" a lot of walking and a bit of running, which worked for a while. Now I'm running 3-4 times a week. You need to start with what you're comfortable with, or just a little beyond that. Remember; this isn't a diet; it's a lifestyle change. If you can't sustain it, it's not right for you. Get some healthy snacks for the house and work, and try to have some fun with whatever fitness you get into. That's what will keep you going back.

Good luck! I'm DCorrick if you want a team member.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm 56 and love to workout-now. Growing up, I never played sports or exercised at all. It wasn't until I had children that I really started working out. Can't imagine m life without it now!