1200 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have been hanging around 1200 for a while. I eat 3 meals a day and usually 3 snacks a day. I rarely feel hungry or deprived. It's all about finding the right combination of foods that work for you. I do a lot of meal planning and food prep to make it work for me.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Judging by your posted picture, OP I am going to go out on a limb and guess that 1200 is nowhere near where you need to be even to meet your most basic TDEE needs. You will wind up getting lightheaded frequently and generally feeling lethargic and miserable. I know many people are in a hurry to lose weight. I get it. Trust me I do, but burning yourself out and punishing your body is not the right way to go about things.

I agree. But the pic is old lol. I just had a baby and been very inconsistent. So 1200 is what was calculated if i don't do anything. Which I'm trying to get back at it. And when i do I'll of course add 200-300 more calories

1200 is a default minimum before exercise. So if you are sedentary AND very petite or elderly.....this goal is adequate. But if you chose a high weekly weight loss goal then MFP bottomed out at 1200 to accommodate that request.

I put 1lb a week and sedentary since I've been so inconsistent with working out. And I am 4'11 so yes very petite.

I just want to get a general idea. I still plan to eat an extra 200-300 calories if I'm able to go workout. If not then 1200-1300 still puts me in a deficit. But having it set at 1200 and planning meals around that gives me room to add accordingly.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    On 1200 I certainly felt deprived and miserable. Unfortunately 1200 a day was at best 2 pounds a MONTH loss for me so it is what I'm stuck with if I want to lose weight. I couldn't do it anymore after 6 months, so I'm off diet (eating at goal weight maintenance around 1450) for 2 months or so. I started intermittent fasting this month, so I'm crossing my fingers that will help when I drop back down to 1200.

A typical day for me will be no breakfast. 500 cals for lunch - salad (no dressing), chicken breast and 1/2 serving sunflower seeds. Choice of cheese on salad, 100 g serving of pineapple or cantaloupe, or glass (8 oz) of tomato juice. Dinner 600 calories: Meat (lean) of some type, baked potato (100 g) with 1 tsp butter, sautéed spinach and onions. 8pm 'snack': protein drink. 120 calories. Pretty Dismal. Not looking forward to going back to it. But doable. Especially if you like fish ( I don't, lol).

please do not hijack this thread to tell me I'm doing it wrong, etc. I weigh my food, I swim 3 or 4x times a week, I log meticulously - On 1200 calories a day I lose a fairly steady 1/3 pound a week. On swim days I usually allow myself an extra 120 calories for another protein shake. My weight loss IS unfortunately at the low end of normalcy but it is within a 20% margin of error to what online calculators do predict for my height and age. Done

I wish there were a sad face response. I'm in the other side of that 20% margin of error, so I totally feel for you.
  • Broadbeam28
    Broadbeam28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Days I manage to stick to 1200 I typically have: breakfast- coffee & semi milk, fruit salad and low fat yoghurt or a small bowl of cereal and semi milk. (250-300) Lunch is either low fat soup and a sandwhich thin with low fat cheese or a large mixed salad with cold meat and a slice of toast with low fat cheese spread. (250-300) Dinner low fat recipe of typical family meal including lean meat, v small portion potatoes and 2 veg or a pasta dish. (400) Snacks include a piece of fruit or cereal bar late afternoon (50-70) and a small glass wine or beer in evening. (150). I haven't been doing well recently though. Too much beer!
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    1200 is tough - It is not long term so being prepared is key. I usually keep frozen meals (no preservatives) on hand just in case I have not prepared so I have options that fit in my calories.
    Breakfast - RX Bar & Starbucks Coffee 400 cal
    Lunch - 1/2 Caesar Wrap 1/2 spinach wrap, romaine lettuce, Chicken Breast, Caesar Dressing - If you like spicy add franks Red Hot Sauce 0 Calories!! 330
    Dinner - Baked Shrimp and Broccoli - Toss in Olive oil, S&P 200
    Snacks - Cottage Cheese, Toast w/ butter 300

This is 1230 calories. My advice is requesting friends who have the same goal at this time so you can look at their diaries. That is how I get a lot of ideas.
    Feel free to add me. You will have to go back about a week in my diary though, I have been sick so there is not a lot on there besides noodle soup.
  • Nik1473
    Nik1473 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 calories since April, don't always make it, but most of the time I'm on target. I have my goals set up as 160 for Breakfast, 470 for Lunch, 250 for Dinner and then two Snacks of 160 each. I generally eat whatever I want, just less of it, but also try to stick to lean meats and lower carb options.

I also tend to wait as long as possible each day to start eating (usually at least noon, unless I'm just really really hungry). Just works better for me that way.

And, would you say your weight loss has been consistent?

• Anamatronic
    Anamatronic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Breakfast- small slice of granary bread with peanut butter: 180 cal
    Lunch: 75g of wheat pasta bulked out with pepper/courgette/onion roasted in balsamic and a basic tomato sauce which is typically 400cal
    Dinner: grilled meat, roasted veg coated in a teaspoon of red pesto and a sweet potato mash which is roughly 450.

I try to go to the gym 4/5 days a week and burn 500 calls. On those days I'll allow myself a treat like a cookie at 50 cal or pop chips at 100.

• Gracie12311
    Gracie12311 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Given your height and if your really sedentary, 1200 calories is fine for right now. I'm also short and was fine on 1200 a day for a few months. Once I increased my activity I then increased my calories, which is what you said you'd do. The main thing is eating more protein and veggies/fruits to keep you feeling satiated longer. I definitely ate (and still do) my fair share of bread and desserts and wine, but too much of it will increase my appetite. Just doesn't stay around long.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree with many of the others, 1200 is way too low for me, and probably you, even without exercise. I typically eat anywhere from 1450-1700. I have a small lunch and bigger breakfast/dinner
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Judging by your posted picture, OP I am going to go out on a limb and guess that 1200 is nowhere near where you need to be even to meet your most basic TDEE needs. You will wind up getting lightheaded frequently and generally feeling lethargic and miserable. I know many people are in a hurry to lose weight. I get it. Trust me I do, but burning yourself out and punishing your body is not the right way to go about things.

I agree. But the pic is old lol. I just had a baby and been very inconsistent. So 1200 is what was calculated if i don't do anything. Which I'm trying to get back at it. And when i do I'll of course add 200-300 more calories

1200 is a default minimum before exercise. So if you are sedentary AND very petite or elderly.....this goal is adequate. But if you chose a high weekly weight loss goal then MFP bottomed out at 1200 to accommodate that request.

I put 1lb a week and sedentary since I've been so inconsistent with working out. And I am 4'11 so yes very petite.

I just want to get a general idea. I still plan to eat an extra 200-300 calories if I'm able to go workout. If not then 1200-1300 still puts me in a deficit. But having it set at 1200 and planning meals around that gives me room to add accordingly.

So many that comment do not understand the issues of being under 5 foot. 1200 calries isn't much but even then our deficit is actually less than 500 calories a day to begin with. Not only that but we don’t actually need as much food. Their first assumption is that we are aggressive with our weight loss and undereating.

I have never eaten that little though as it is great motivation to exercise when it gives you leeway and a treat every now and then.

To stay at that amount of calories you need to eat lots of vegetables and lean meat, When I was losing I'd go low lat dairy and add eggs for fat and protein. Wholegrains are great but you can't eat too many. Oats is my standard breakfast. I'd do it with almond milk, fruit and greek yogurt. Lunch and dinner were normally meat (or eggs) and vegetables (like 8 serves a day vegetables). With one I'll add carbs be it a small amount of bread, wraps, rice or pasta (wholegrain mainly as I find these more filling). Dessert depended on calories left but normally greek yogurt with a piece of fruit. A snack would be cottage cheese and vegetables.

Now that I am in maintenance I pretty much eat the same, just that my afternoon snack and dessert have as many calories as my other meals.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If I had 1,200 calories to work with I'd skip a meal and have normal 700 and 500 calorie meals. It's much easier for me to skip a meal altogether than it would be to eat a small amount that left me unsatisfied or hungry shortly after.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nik1473 wrote: »
    I have been doing 1200 calories since April, don't always make it, but most of the time I'm on target. I have my goals set up as 160 for Breakfast, 470 for Lunch, 250 for Dinner and then two Snacks of 160 each. I generally eat whatever I want, just less of it, but also try to stick to lean meats and lower carb options.

I also tend to wait as long as possible each day to start eating (usually at least noon, unless I'm just really really hungry). Just works better for me that way.

And, would you say your weight loss has been consistent?

I've lost 78 pounds since I started in April. Every once in a while I gain a couple pounds back (especially if I have an off day or when it's that time of the month), but overall it's been a downward trend.

I get frustrated a little, because according to my TDEE calculations, I should be able to eat more than I do (like upwards of 1700), and still lose weight, but anytime I eat much more than 1200, I gain instantly. Guess it's mostly water weight, since it generally comes back off as soon as I drop back down to the lower calorie amount, but it's really annoying.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    1200 looks like a crappy day of hunger to me. I wasn't able to keep it up. I can survive 1700 and lose about a pound a week. No need to white knuckle it.

Good for you. I maintain on 1700 so to lose a pound a week need to eat 1200.