Losing 1% per week

Options
I've heard a general rule that you should only lose 1% of your body fat per week. I'm still in the overweight category for my height at 175 lbs. Does this mean that currently I could lose about 1.7 lbs safely? I've heard conflicting info. I've heard that once your within 30 lbs of your goal weight then you should expect to lose less than 1 lb a week. This seems weird because your goal weight is subjective. My goal weight is on the cusp of a healthy bmi at 150 lbs. others may want to be in the middle of a healthy bmi. I'm basically asking, is 1% still the general rule of thumb if you're still overweight? I've been losing 1 and half pounds a week consistently, and feel totally fine, but I continue reading threads that suggest losing less than a lb a week now that I'm nearing my goal weight.

Replies

• theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You will find initially, you will lose weight at a faster rate.
    Generally, ( but not always ), your weight loss reduces. This is because your body weighs less and requires less calories to function.
    You can however control this (to a degree ), by increasing physical activity and reducing your caloric intake.
    Always be mindful, your calories should not be restricted below 1200 calories.
    By consuming a wide range of nutritious foods and staying physically active will ensure weight loss.

Well done on you weight loss
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    These are all rules of thumb and they conflict with each other. 1% of body weight is more than the .5-1-1.5 guidelines. And you're right, two people with the same stats can have different goal weights. Just because you "feel totally fine" doesn't mean it is healthy and safe. Problems might not show up for a long time, and things like losing too much muscle mass don't show up in obvious ways at all (unless it's drastic.). We don't know your height or calorie intake or exercise calories, so it's kind of a shot in dark.

Based on my experience, I think something around 1 lb per week would make the best sense for you. If you're losing much more than that you're probably not eating enough to support your body's needed nutrition. Losing slightly slower is rarely a problem, whereas losing too fast can be. Congrats on your progress so far.
  • issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For sure, I'll make sure to start eating a bit more then. I eat 1700 calories on days I don't exercise, and on the days I do exercise I eat about 2000. I'm 5'5 too. My exercise may burn more than I think though because I am set to lose a pound a week, but I always end up losing more. I skateboard for exercise, so it's kind of hard to gauge. I would invest in a fitbit, but everyone says how exaggerated the burns are so it seems pointless. Thanks for the info and the warnings.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    issiahs wrote: »
    For sure, I'll make sure to start eating a bit more then. I eat 1700 calories on days I don't exercise, and on the days I do exercise I eat about 2000. I'm 5'5 too. My exercise may burn more than I think though because I am set to lose a pound a week, but I always end up losing more. I skateboard for exercise, so it's kind of hard to gauge. I would invest in a fitbit, but everyone says how exaggerated the burns are so it seems pointless. Thanks for the info and the warnings.

I think the idea is you start off losing a lot more then it goes down and averages out over time.
    So losing more initially is normal
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I view the 1% as a max for safe weight loss. I do not view it as what a person necessarily should aim to lose or can lose in a sustainable manner. There's a huge difference and so many factors go into "sustainable" that it's not going to be the same for every person.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You're fine to keep doing what you're doing. At 1700 calories a day plus exercise calories when relevant your loss range should be something in the 1.0 to 1.5 range. That should be perfectly safe and realistic.

There's really no reason for you to change, your weight loss will gradually slow down enough as you get closer to your target weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It's a general guideline. I have heard between .5% and 1%. Which to me is reasonable and I like it better than simply saying "1lb a week" or whatever because it goes down in proportion to your weight.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the 0.5 to 1.0% range per week. I found that my weekly losses would typically cycle within this range with very few expections.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Even less than 0.5% is a loss :) I have been experimenting with "most painless deficit eating" and while my weight is dropping very slowly, it's dropping consistently. This is how I gained it in the first place, after all. There is nothing magic about rate of weight loss (as long as a person maintains their health) in terms of maintaining the loss, even though it makes intuitive sense that habits developed with a slow-moving deficit are more easily sustainable in the long haul.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    issiahs wrote: »

For sure, you want to be looking at what you're actually losing, not what some calculator says you theoretically should be losing.

The 1% is a general rule of thumb that should keep most people in a safe, sustainable range. The "slower close to goal" idea is an extension of that same strategy to keep health risks on the low side while losing. Yes, goal weights differ for a variety of reasons, so it's imprecise, but its still useful as an approximation.

In reality, individuals' bodies probably respond differently to over-restriction, so some might be fine losing faster than others. But why take chances with health?

It's nearly always fine to lose at slower rates; the exception might be someone who needs rapid loss to counter some acute health risk.

Underlying these kinds of rules of thumb is some theoretical work suggesting that the average person can metabolize a maximum of X calories of body fat daily per pound of existing body fat, after which it will start metabolizing lean tissue to make up the rest of a bigger deficit. Therefore, for healthiest results, loss rate should decline as remaining body fat declines.

I've seen estimates of X in the mid-20s to low 30s of calories. There's also research suggesting that exercise, especially strength exercise, reduces the chance of lean tissue loss. For most people, the 1% rule is on the conservative side of the "X calories per pound of fat" calculation . . . as a reasonable generalized risk reduction guideline should be.

I strongly disagree with those saying loss rate will always automagically decline as one gets lighter. It won't do that for everyone. I had to consciously, intentionally put on the brakes by eating more, or I would've lost weight too fast in the later stages. Some will slow down automatically; some won't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I look at the 1% guideline as a max, but not necessarily something that is doable...I could lose about 1.8 Lbs per week safely, but I'd be miserable with that calorie intake.

• issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm starting to realize I should've prefaced this with the fact that I've been on a calorie deficit for quite a while now. I've lost 65 lbs already, so it's not me losing that initial water weight. I just noticed lately that I'm still consistently losing about 1.5 lbs a week even though I'm much lighter than I was at the start. There was a ton of helpful info here though and thanks to everyone who gave some advice.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    You're fine to keep doing what you're doing. At 1700 calories a day plus exercise calories when relevant your loss range should be something in the 1.0 to 1.5 range. That should be perfectly safe and realistic.

There's really no reason for you to change, your weight loss will gradually slow down enough as you get closer to your target weight.

^^ this. 1700 is 1# per week for me.