Having a hard time meeting Protein requirements, any tips?

Options

Replies

• MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    have you tried fairlife milk - its lactose free I believe - and is higher in protein

I have not! I've been drinking Almond milk. I'll go searching for this, thank you!

Just seconding the Fairlife rec. My fiance is lactose intolerant and we depend on Fairlife (I dislike plant milks, especially in recipes) and it doesn't give him any issues. Fairlife is also reduced sugar and increased protein vs normal milk, without additives: they hyper filter it and then recombine to get the reduced sugar and bumped protein. The chocolate Fairlife is rich enough to be a dessert, and is a nice treat on occasion.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Snack Ideas
    RXBar 210 cal 12g Protein - No Dairy
    Shrimp (6 oz) 100 cal 42g protein
    Tuna (2 oz) 100 cal 11g Protein
    Egg White (3 qty) 51 Cal 11g Protein
    Chicken Breast 150 Cal 26g Protein

I agree with the other comments that suggest you up the amount of chicken you have in your meal prep's. It will help you reach that goal. Here are my main non-dairy sources of protein. The RXBar Peanut Butter Chocolate is my favorite, although I like most of them.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    have you tried fairlife milk - its lactose free I believe - and is higher in protein

I have not! I've been drinking Almond milk. I'll go searching for this, thank you!

Fairlife milk is great. 13g per cup.

My go to smoothie...
    1 cup fairlife 2% milk
    100 grams liquid egg whites
    1 banana
    1 - 2 cups of spinach
    2T ovaltine...
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    is this turning into a fairlife fan thread, because i'm 100% behind that.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure I could get enough protein (my protein goal is 140g on calories of 1450) if it were not for protein powders. But protein powder doesn't have to be a protein shake! I make a protein powder cheesecake and a bunch of different protein powder based 'bars'. The bars are so good, and one batch lasts so long (if my husband doesn't eat them on me) and they are very portable. I've made peanut butter bars, chocolate bars, chocolate mint bars and lemon bars so far.

As for the advice here that you don't need that much protein, I would stick with your trainer's recommendation to start ( your trainer is in a better position to know your particular needs and goals), then later on consider modification if it isn't working for you.

• jdlobb
    Options

oh yeah, you've been missing out on a ton of protein if you're drinking nut waters.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could get enough protein (my protein goal is 140g on calories of 1450) if it were not for protein powders. But protein powder doesn't have to be a protein shake! I make a protein powder cheesecake and a bunch of different protein powder based 'bars'. The bars are so good, and one batch lasts so long (if my husband doesn't eat them on me) and they are very portable. I've made peanut butter bars, chocolate bars, chocolate mint bars and lemon bars so far.

As for the advice here that you don't need that much protein, I would stick with your trainer's recommendation to start ( your trainer is in a better position to know your particular needs and goals), then later on consider modification if it isn't working for you.

Most trainers are not well versed in nutrition, a lot of Bro-science. 35% of cals is probably good if you eat 1500 cals or less. Since he is basing intake on %, rather than grams tells me he isn't as versed as he should be if giving advice.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder (every day), egg whites, chicken breast, fish (cod, tilapia, tuna, salmon) and cottage cheese and sometimes Greek yogurt. However, I'm not lactose intolerant so I know that several of those options won't work for you... However, if you could find a protein powder you liked that is lactose-free I think that would be one of the easiest options of adding extra protein in.
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

oh yeah, you've been missing out on a ton of protein if you're drinking nut waters.

hahahaha yeah nut waters and the occasional fake cheese. So far, I haven't found much lactose-free milk aside from Lactaid in my area. I'm going to have to expand my horizons a bit. I'm getting real excited for this Fairlife though!
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Most trainers are not well versed in nutrition, a lot of Bro-science. 35% of cals is probably good if you eat 1500 cals or less. Since he is basing intake on %, rather than grams tells me he isn't as versed as he should be if giving advice.

I'll be sure to take it with a grain of salt, my boyfriend was suggesting the same thing. Being that my goal weight is 160 and reading above, I'm thinking ~128g is a more realistic number.
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips!
  • jdlobb
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

hahahaha yeah nut waters and the occasional fake cheese. So far, I haven't found much lactose-free milk aside from Lactaid in my area. I'm going to have to expand my horizons a bit. I'm getting real excited for this Fairlife though!

you are in for a real treat when you try Fairlife.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I would do bigger portions of meat with you meals, protein shakes and/or bars, and if you like to snack, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, regular cheese, Greek yogurt, chicken salad with some crackers or veggies.
    ETA woops sorry, missed the lactose intolerant bit. You could do chicken salad with mashed avocado instead of mayo
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Trainer, person I know in real life and presumably trust vs unknown person in the internet. Yeah, I would follow my trainer's advice. Or just ask, why do you recommend that protein amount, it seems high? And see what the trainer says. Then I'd have to do my own research if I didn't like or trust the trainer's answer. Just my opinion.
  • nikismithwin
    nikismithwin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Following because I have 2 growing boys and I'm trying to get more protien into them too. I bought a bag of quinoa, I'm going to try using it instead of rice and and maybe hide it in their oatmeal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Or you could try soy milk or a protein-fortified almond milk, if you can't find a lactose-free dairy milk that works for you. Regular almond milk has practically no protein.
  • Aussieangel85
    Aussieangel85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And in terms of what I normally eat- I'll have non-dairy yogurt with granola and berries for breakfast, and then we mealprep 4 different dishes to eat for lunch and dinner throughout the week. For example, this week we've prepped salad with 4oz chicken, sesame beef with bell peppers, pork loin, and salmon cakes. We've also prepped a large batch of broccoli and roasted chickpeas.

edit: worth noting that I am lactose intolerant.
    And in terms of what I normally eat- I'll have non-dairy yogurt with granola and berries for breakfast, and then we mealprep 4 different dishes to eat for lunch and dinner throughout the week. For example, this week we've prepped salad with 4oz chicken, sesame beef with bell peppers, pork loin, and salmon cakes. We've also prepped a large batch of broccoli and roasted chickpeas.

edit: worth noting that I am lactose intolerant.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Just seconding the Fairlife rec. My fiance is lactose intolerant and we depend on Fairlife (I dislike plant milks, especially in recipes) and it doesn't give him any issues. Fairlife is also reduced sugar and increased protein vs normal milk, without additives: they hyper filter it and then recombine to get the reduced sugar and bumped protein. The chocolate Fairlife is rich enough to be a dessert, and is a nice treat on occasion.

I drink a lot of milk- thanks Northern European ancestors! And tried fairlife once. It wasn't bad, but I noticed it went from fine to curdled overnight- no warning like the slight changes in normal milk.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Protein water exists. It's called trimo.. It's 28 calories a bottle. I found it at cvs or maybe it was Walgreens... anyway it was with it. There were a few flavors to.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    Protein water exists. It's called trimo.. It's 28 calories a bottle. I found it at cvs or maybe it was Walgreens... anyway it was with it. There were a few flavors to.

Isopure is basically protein water