Calorie Count Coufusion

Options
Relatively new here. Have set up goals, and what I think is accurate settings, but remain confused about the math. Reading left to right, 1590 (Goal) 1130 (Food)+372 (Exercise)= 1502 (Net). Large green number, upper left, indicates 89. I know I am not the brightest star when it comes to math, but these numbers make no sense to me. Additionally, I (thought) I have the negative calories activated. I am using in tandem with Fitbit Charge2. Essentially, I want to see: how much I am supposed to eat (calories), how much I ate, how much I burned via exercise (Fitbit adjustment), and how much is subsequently deficit or overage. Thank you. Please answer in relative layman's terms. I am a 66 year old man, not very tech savvy.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    So
    1590 is your net calorie allowance - meaning what you have at the start of the day.

1130 is the food you have already logged already for the day

372 Exercise is the calorie adjustment - Because you have negative adjustments enabled, if you don't reach the level of activity that you have set in MFP then you will receive a deduction. For the majority of people they will receive a positive adjustment for the following step counts:

Sedentary - Approx 5000
    Lightly Active - Approx 7500
    Active - Approx 10000
    Very Active - Approx 12500

Check you have the correct activity level set - this should not include purposeful exercise. It should be based on your work/home life activities.

2onrx310grlo.jpg

1590-1130 = 460

Less your negative adjustment of 372 (it will appear as a + because it adds to your food total to give you less food to eat, whereas a positive adjustment will give you more food to eat) = 88 calories

7x1wyfq10xe1.jpg
  • a5hnk
    a5hnk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just a note, your net calorie allowance is simply too low. Start with 1800 calories as your daily target. Make the deficit with exercise not food reduction.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    a5hnk wrote: »
    Just a note, your net calorie allowance is simply too low. Start with 1800 calories as your daily target. Make the deficit with exercise not food reduction.

How do you know what the OP's net calorie count should be without his stats? All you have is his age, have you just plucked a figure out of the air? Exercise should be for health, not weight loss. What happens if you don't learn portion control and something happens and you aren't able to exercise as much as you have been.