158 Calorie Meal That Fills You Up!

Options
13»

Replies

• LadyMcBeth
    LadyMcBeth Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think I would be quite hungry if I ate this - not enough fibre to keep me full for very long... If I am going to restrict that far (and sometimes I do on a "fast" day), half a bag of Woolworths Thai-style salad mix (carrot, red cabbage, red capsicum, celery and rocket) with half the enclosed dressing (to which I add a bit of lemon juice to make it taste of something!) plus a medium sized hard boiled egg (whole egg, not just the white) is about 164 calories. And no. I don't eat the deep fried shallots that come with the salad mix - they might taste good and be included in the calorie count, but I managed to kick the fried anything habit long ago and don't want to have to fight that battle again!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Sounds more like a small snack to me... :/

And not a tasty one.

That's for sure!

Heck my snacks are usually higher than that :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    wefts wrote: »
    apparently some posters do not enjoy broccoli . I do enjoy it . especially with garlic .
    I like this approach I often have mini meals like this to keep me full ,Using high fiber vegetables increases volume to keep you full and choosing healthy high protein and fiber foods rather than the same # of empty calorie snacks is just a smart way to stay healthy while loosing weight .
    Now I could eat that and enjoy it as long as I added garlic salt and pepper . I would find it more filling and allow a more rounded set of nutrients with an ounce of cooked poached chicken brown rice or black beans ( or an oz of each ). I would suggest not always sticking to egg white, egg yolks have lots of healthy nutrients for the few added calories I would add 1 at least and it also improves the egg texture .

I didn't see any responses that suggested that posters don't care for broccoli... I in fact, don't care for broccoli, and I'm allergic to strawberries, and I prefer to eat whole eggs to egg whites for additional nutrients BUT... all that aside - this is a random collection of three foods that are not even as many calories as my typical snack. The fact that OP is calling it a meal, and not a "mini meal" or a "snack" or anything like that is concerning. Losing weight is hard enough - making it overly restrictive in the number of calories one chooses to eat or in the foods you prepare is just making it even more difficult.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    wefts wrote: »
    apparently some posters do not enjoy broccoli . I do enjoy it . especially with garlic .
    I like this approach I often have mini meals like this to keep me full ,Using high fiber vegetables increases volume to keep you full and choosing healthy high protein and fiber foods rather than the same # of empty calorie snacks is just a smart way to stay healthy while loosing weight .
    Now I could eat that and enjoy it as long as I added garlic salt and pepper . I would find it more filling and allow a more rounded set of nutrients with an ounce of cooked poached chicken brown rice or black beans ( or an oz of each ). I would suggest not always sticking to egg white, egg yolks have lots of healthy nutrients for the few added calories I would add 1 at least and it also improves the egg texture .

I love eating huge piles of broccoli. It's just that it tastes a lot better, helps provide a table stakes amount of protein, and helps build muscle as an "unlimited side" paired with a Red Robin Bacon-Guacamole Cheeseburger.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have 2 whole eggs and a strawberry.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That could only be god with a large dose of siracha, but that would add 20 cals, so I'd mix the strawberries. And I typically eat more like 400g of broccoli. And fried eggs with butter and toast. And some actual food. But, I digress.
  • cathyvanschalkwyk
    Options
    My go to midday snack/boost is a cup of unsalted chicken broth with whatever herbs I have on hand. Packed with protein and electrolytes for the busy person....and only 20 calories.
    Today I added crushed red pepper cayenne pepper and parsley.

When I have time I simmer some veggies and ocassionally some type of meat into it and eat on it all week.

20 calories =/= packed with protein. Nice savoury alternative to a tea or coffee though!

• cathyvanschalkwyk
    Options
    Hiya, this sounds good. Is it bought chicken stock or do you make the broth from scratch? And if from scratch do you remove the skin? TIA :)
  • catherinearchibald
    Options
    Piece of bread and 3.5 ounces of protein...a teaspoon of mustard, maybe a pickle slice...158 calories...mmmmm

Close your eyes and imagine a nice plate of broccoli, strawberries, and egg whites

I would lose man-points big-time and also throw up a little in my mouth

Too funny! Actually crying with laughter! Yup, what he said... Still giggling!
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Laughing at responses! Hilarious!
  • Louve350
    Louve350 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow.. some people are mean... :|

I do a raw broccoli salad with dry cranberries and low fat mayo with maple syrup (pure).. might get a lil higher in calories lol
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    eh, i see where the OP was going with this. egg whites are very low in calories, and i eat them daily. i have never paired them with broccoli and strawberries though. i think if the meal was tweaked a bit, it would be fine,like get rid of the broccoli, it doesn't go with this meal... and add a piece of toast with some peanutbutter, and put the strawberries in 1/2 cup of yogurt. that would be more liek a real meal. i usually add stuff to my eggs as well, like spinage.