• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 5.15
    9/5 - 3.04
    9/7 - 2.2
    9/9 - 6.2 (10k race day!)
    9/11 - 3.36
    9/12 - 2.87 (this is what my phone calculated, the hotel treadmill had it at just over 2m)
    9/13 - 3.0
    9/14 - REST
    9/15 - 30 minutes of cross train/core exercise DVD plus I'll do walking later.
    9/16 - 4 (great pace for me today!)
    9/17 - REST
    9/18 - 3.99
    9/19 - 30 mins cross trail/core DVD, plus .33 mile light jog with the pupper

Goal: 40 miles
    MTD: 34.14

I didn't know how I would want to continue to train after the 10k, so I probably aimed a little low for my goal, but spent yesterday mapping out my HM training plan and picking races. It's slim pickin's in December in CO, but this is what I've come up with:

10/08 - (5k) Run the Rocks (don't be fooled, you have to run up the stairs at Red Rocks amphitheater)
    10/28 - (10k) Kooky Spooky
    11/18 - (10k) Turkey Trek
    12/09 - (HM) Fa La La Half Marathon

I'm doing a slightly modified version of Hal Higdon's HM Novice 1 plan. I had to fiddle with the schedule in order to nail the HM before the end of the year, because the normal plan put the HM the week of Thanksgiving and there were no other HMs nearby until 12/9. I made it work, and could probably use a little bit of the reinforcement I've built in. I'm really focusing on my cross training days to strengthen my core, arms, and leg muscles that get ignored when running. I followed Hal's 10k program and it was just the right amount of training for me and I had a great race, so I figured we'd stick together for the HM.

There. I've said it out loud so now I HAVE to do it.

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Heavy resistance elliptical 50 minutes

exercise.png

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    September Running
    09/01: Off, rest day
    09/02: 4.02 mile easy run + 30 min biking
    09/03: 20.05 mile long run
    09/04: 60 min biking + strength training
    09/05: 5.04 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/06: 8.03 miles- 7 mile progression, 1 mile cool down
    09/07: 5.40 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/08: 3.56 mile easy run
    09/09: 75 min biking
    09/10: 13.17 mile long run- 3@MP/1E/2@HMP/1E/2@HMP/1E/3@MP
    09/11: 6.04 mile easy run + strength training
    09/12: 6.05 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/13: 10.05 miles- 1.5 mile warm up; 10x800m with 400m recovery; 1 mile cool down
    09/14: Off, rest day
    09/15: 6.06 mile easy run
    09/16: 20.01 mile long run
    09/17: 90 min biking
    09/18: 5.06 mile easy run
    Total: 112.54 miles

Notes:
    My legs felt pretty dead after saturday's long run! I made sure to walk around a lot on sunday, and rode the exercise bike for 90 minutes to loosen up my legs a bit. I was supposed to do some strength training, but it just didn't happen. Monday was an easy 5.06 mile run (9:18 pace) to mark the start of my taper! My peak mileage last week was 48 miles; my taper plan is cut down to 75% this week (36 miles) then 50% next week (24 miles, while still keeping to 5 runs a week and a bit of speed work still. Things are going to be a little bit complicated by the fact that I am going backpacking the next two weekends, which means I will have to run M-F both weeks. I also should try to fit strength training in somewhere, at least once each week but preferably twice! In hind sight, scheduling backpacking trips the two weekends before my marathon was maybe not the best idea, but at least it should help keep the taper crazies (somewhat) at bay :wink:

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    - Chicago Marathon, 10/08/17
    - Space Coast Half Marathon, 11/26/17
    - Excalibur 10 Miler, 03/18/18
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I’ve missed Kody!
    @kristinegift yeah for you for pacing. I love pacers!
    @elise4270 yipes!
    @_nikkiwolf_ interesting dessert

Shorts would be awesome! The Grand Prix series I did gave out tank tops which I really liked, you had to run all 3 of series since Skip had to miss one I got the shirt for her. Sorry I did it’s so nice.

The New Balance guy that comes to Fleet Feet seems to like Skip and gives her socks every time we see him. They are compression and she likes them a lot. Last time she said that’s okay you gave me a couple pairs already, but he gave her another pair.

At the end of the season we are going to take all of Skip’s running shirts that she doesn’t want to wear again and make a quilt for her bed at college. We are trying to buy one at each meet of her senior year. She won one so far and we brought one, last meet didn’t have any.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

That's awesome. And I imagine that you will still have a pretty sizable group. If I was targeting a sub 2 half, I would probably want to start with the 1:55 group to give myself some leeway. Imagine how happy they will all be when you help them shatter their goal!

@lporter229 I'm hoping it's a good crew! If some fall back that's fine, but hopefully we can bring a crowd across the finish line!

ctlaws44 wrote: »

That's awesome you're doing this! I've always wanted to but my pace is all over the place and I'd be afraid of wearing people out by yo-yoing my pace.

@ctlaws44 Haha, luckily this is a hilly course so a little yo-yoing is to be expected. Plus: hometown advantage; I run these streets/hills all the time in training. Hopefully it'll be a good intro to pacing!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ctlaws44 When I was a kids, we'd get asked if we wanted a Hurt's donut. I didn't know that we're actually donuts. The bait is to say "yes", then punch the person and say " Hurts don't it". So stupid. Also the wanna asprin which was a.$s burn. Then you got whooped. I had not so nice adults in my life as a child... But then they were always high.. so I guess that was entertaining to them.

An adult would do that to you?! That sounds awful. I'm sorry if that brought back any bad memories.

Nah it's cool. I'm in deep quandary over my kids. So I'm in an odd mood. No worries man.

It did teach me not to ask for a dern thing though :wink:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/19/colorado-springs-mad-pooper/

Apparently there is a female runner in Colorado who's been taking a lot of dumps while out running.....
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

This is for everyone who is just starting out, you are not "only" running 1 2 or 3 miles you ARE running 1 2 or 3 miles! Be proud!

86ul1fgee7b4.jpg

This is so much harder when you're starting OVER. I was running 7 miles in May, and still running hill repeats in June. Now here I am feeling like a beginner all over again. :'( Huffing and puffing through 2 miles with walk breaks and the tiniest hills are like mountains. LOL

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 I'll try ;) haha! And dude I have said that exact same thing about races needing to start doling out shorts. I get why they don't where a lot of people wouldn't be as interested but come on people, I go broke on shorts lol

@juliet3455 I can't wait until I have your level of trail running wisdom- I'm over here just running on my torn up foot and my jacked up piriformis until I can't feel it anymore :D

@skippygirlsmom I love that idea for Skip! I've been putting baby clothes aside for a quilt forever, pulling the trigger is hard though haha

@kristinegift I think pacing 1:55 will be huge! So many people have a sub 2 half on their bucket list and you'll get them there!

Feel better at @amymoreorless !

@sarahthes I was admittedly not digging the cold and rain so much this morning, I hope its nicer for you later on!

@PastorVincent oh dear! I wish people understood how minute their calorie burn can be in relation to their consumption. I burn 2600 or so running a full and I don't treat it like some wild food free for all because I know that- so many female marathoners I know put on substantial weight on the ON season and don't understand that they can't outrun six slices of pizza :(

Was only feeling my hip minimally today so I was able to fly the downs better than I had yesterday and my foot is nearly at the point where I can stop pack and wrapping it, another week I think :) . Also bought the container to use as a drop bag at Whistler this morning- its happeninggggg!!!

Does anyone else find they unintentionally cut weight at the same point every year? Last year when my training volume was at peak in September I lost control of the reins and went from 130 to 123 inside of a month- at my height it was starting to look rough before I got that back together. Now I'm at the same point in the year, high volume month and I'm somehow under 130 again. Really don't want to go into Whistler in the low 120s so I'm working on it but kind of wondering if maybe this will just be September for the rest of my life or what :/ .

September 1- 23
    September 2- 60
    September 3- 30
    September 4- 20.6
    September 5- Off
    September 6- First Day of School
    September 7- 23.4
    September 8- 16
    September 9- 70
    September 10- 20.1
    September 11- 20.1
    September 12- 20.1
    September 13- Off
    September 14- 8
    September 15- Off
    September 16- 80.7
    September 17- 7.3
    September 18- 21.7
    September 19- 21.4

442.4/600km

• Elise4270
    Options

Apparently there is a female runner in Colorado who's been taking a lot of dumps while out running.....

I saw that story a few months ago before they figured out who was doing that. I thought that was horrible, gives all of us runner's a bad name. One guy had set up a camera to catch her because she kept pooping at the side of his house
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    It is pitch black, pouring out, and barely above freezing. I will run after work and not this morning.

Now it is snowing.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    9/1 13.1 miles! 2h:09m:49s
    9/2 3.1mi 31m:56s
    9/3 rest
    9/4 4.38mi 41m:07s
    9/5 6mi 57m:38s
    9/6 4mi 39m:50s
    9/7 7mi 69m:59s
    9/8 4mi 38m:49s
    9/9 9mi 1h:26m:35s
    9/10 rest
    9/11 5.2mi 53m:20s
    9/12 4mi 36m:16s
    9/13 6mi 56m:41s
    9/14 4mi 36m:25s
    9/15 4mi 34m:46s
    9/16 8mi 1h:15m:28s
    9/17 rest
    9/18 5mi 47m:53s
    9/19 4mi 37m:32s

4 miles on the treadmill as the weather looked kind of sketchy. I watched an episode of American Ninja Warrior which meant I walked an extra 2.75mi just to finish the episode. I guess that's one benefit to a treadmill in front of a TV :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    It is pitch black, pouring out, and barely above freezing. I will run after work and not this morning.

Now it is snowing.

It's 90 here. I'll trade ya!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

People are strange.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

This is for everyone who is just starting out, you are not "only" running 1 2 or 3 miles you ARE running 1 2 or 3 miles! Be proud!

86ul1fgee7b4.jpg

This is so much harder when you're starting OVER. I was running 7 miles in May, and still running hill repeats in June. Now here I am feeling like a beginner all over again. :'( Huffing and puffing through 2 miles with walk breaks and the tiniest hills are like mountains. LOL

I feel you. I used to do marathons (albeit at a snail's pace). Not sure I can do 5 miles now, but we'll get there. It will just take time and patience and perseverance.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB what are you using for a drop bag? There are 3 DB locations at my race 6 aid stations) and I'm looking to put some DBs together in case my crew buddy has trouble.
  • Elise4270
    Options

86ul1fgee7b4.jpg

All summer long I kept waiting to get heat acclimated. It never happened. Then I realized I was comparing my heat tolerance to when I had been able to a half. So I think I've confused heat tolerance with cardiovascular endurance.

Like you, I'm still fighting for those 2-3 miles! I can walk up the hill at work without gasping for breath now. It's a start.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Does anyone else find they unintentionally cut weight at the same point every year? Last year when my training volume was at peak in September I lost control of the reins and went from 130 to 123 inside of a month- at my height it was starting to look rough before I got that back together. Now I'm at the same point in the year, high volume month and I'm somehow under 130 again. Really don't want to go into Whistler in the low 120s so I'm working on it but kind of wondering if maybe this will just be September for the rest of my life or what :/ .

Not at the same time of year, and not as dramatic as dropping from 130 to 123, but I typically lose a pound or three while in marathon training. It's a balancing act, adding enough calories to fuel the running without adding so many that I just pile on fat. I tend to err to the down side while training, adding calories later and playing catch up. But as my sister says, sometimes it's easier to eat an extra 2000 calories than an extra 200.

Right now, I'm struggling to just *not gain*. It's a lot harder to overcome one bad binge day when I can't run than it is at the height of marathon training.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

86ul1fgee7b4.jpg

All summer long I kept waiting to get heat acclimated. It never happened. Then I realized I was comparing my heat tolerance to when I had been able to a half. So I think I've confused heat tolerance with cardiovascular endurance.

Like you, I'm still fighting for those 2-3 miles! I can walk up the hill at work without gasping for breath now. It's a start.

I keep telling myself I need to walk uphill. Like separate from running days. Before when I started running, I had been really active for a long time and doing long walks and challenging hills was normal. Now I'm trying to make a come back straight into running after barely doing anything for 2 months. At least nothing challenging. I'm also using 8lb weights strength training compared to 15. All that makes a difference. The heat doesn't seem to be bothering me all that bad though, surprisingly. I was soaked in sweat last night and then the news said it was 100% humidity. WHAT?! I was more bothered by the gnats sticking in my sweat. Haha.