Tips to improve overhead press?

Options
twinkles4
twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm several weeks into the 5x5 Stronglifts program and it's going well except for the OH press. I stalled out right away. The bare bar was easy enough, but can't even complete the first set of 5 with an additional 5lbs. In one sitting anyway.

Currently, I'm doing 1 or 2 reps (whatever I can manage with good form) then walk it off/stretch it out for 5-10 mins then try another 1 or 2. I can never manage to do more than 2 at once.

But then I'm afraid I won't improve if I step it back to bare bar. Advice??

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you can do the empty bar for 5*5, maybe try to get it for 6*5 then add your 5lbs (or get fractional plates and add 2.5 lbs instead of 5) and try 5*5, I use 1.25 lb ankle weights on the ends of bars to add 2.5 instead of 5 lbs
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I usually consult SS/Mark Rippetoe for technique.

https://youtu.be/CnBmiBqp-AI

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you aren't already a member of the Stronglifts 5x5 group for women here on MFP, you should definitely join and look there. Lots of helpful docs and threads discussing ways to modify the program to make it easier for women just starting out and a lot of helpful members with great answers.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Try staying with just the bar and getting up to 7 reps or so and then try again. I bought some smaller weights too 1.25lbs so I can go up in smaller increments. They were really cheap on Amazon. Also check that you have good form (videos posted earlier)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depending on where your sticking point is, assistance work for bottom improvement can include pause OHP, behind the neck OHP, and incline bench work. Assistance work for top improvement (lockout) - close grip bench and push press.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    OHP is just the bottom of the ladder on progress. Using fractional plates/chains/clips is helpful.

Also working on one set at a time progressively. Meaning only up your first set until you can up your second set too and so forth.

Pin pushes at sticking point probably the best besides the OHP itself. But, that is more for advanced lifting.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Buy a pair of 1.25# plates and a set of fractional plates, (1/4 to 1) and use them instead to increase the progression in smaller increments that you can handle.
  • twinkles4
    Options
    Thank you! That's all so helpful. I'm thinking I'm a bit too loose during, and not breathing correctly, like in the videos. Failing that, I'll increase the reps on the empty bar until I can get to the city for some fractional plates :smiley:
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    1.25lbs plates, wrist wraps, shoulder isolation accessories

one thing that helps me is to really clench my butt and drive heels into the floor right before i press...
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing the similar motion with dumbbells first? My personal trainer did that with me to "iron out and kinks".
  • twinkles4
    Options
    Have you tried doing the similar motion with dumbbells first? My personal trainer did that with me to "iron out and kinks".

No, I haven't. My dumbbell supply is kind of limited.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    twinkles4 wrote: »

Fair enough they can be expensive!
  • twinkles4
    Options
    twinkles4 wrote: »

Fair enough they can be expensive!

And a 5 hour drive to the city lol. It is a good idea though, :) Along with some other shoulder assistance work. Upper body has always been a weak point.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    Depending on where your sticking point is, assistance work for bottom improvement can include pause OHP, behind the neck OHP, and incline bench work. Assistance work for top improvement (lockout) - close grip bench and push press.

I would not recommend behind the head press. It's not good for shoulder health.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    things that helped me:

- set so you're actually conscious of the weight travelling 'through' your anterior chain to the ground. that means abs, basically.
    - right before you break, imagine you've been sliced in half right around armpit level and what's left of you is just plopped down there on the floor. i know that sounds like i just contradicted the point above, but somehow it works for me. you're bracing the push against a 'floor' that's only a handspan beneath the bar and it gives you a lot of power if you can pick up the mental trick.

practically speaking, i love doing sets of 10 with maybe half of my working weight. the form for press is pretty tricky so i like multi-reps at a weight low enough that i can DO multi-reps. that lets me really pick up consciousness and fine-tune, instead of just bashing my way through five reps and the set's over before i'm really getting acquainted with what's going on.

also practically speaking, the period where i was simultaneously working on my pullups (by doing negatives) was probably the period of my most impressive progress with the ohp. the extra boost you get for your lats out of that makes a serious difference to being able to set yourself up for the press. besides, they're basically mirror-images of each other, in terms of movement.