Transition to Maintenance

Options
Hello maintainers! By way of background, I'm 5'4.5" and currently 140 lbs. My goal maintenance range is 130-135. As I get closer to 135, I'm trying to develop a sensible plan for maintenance. Right now I'm at a 500 calorie deficit. I'm planning on keeping that going until 135, then decreasing my defective by 100 calories every couple weeks (adding to my intake) until I find my maintenance number. At that point I should be settled somewhere in my goal range. My question for you all is: is there any advice you wish you had gotten before making the transition from losing to maintenance, or anything I should expect that you didn't during the transition? Does my transition plan seem sensible? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes your plan sounds really good.
    If you are goal-oriented then a replacement for the reward of seeing the number on your bathroom scales going down is sensible. For some people just seeing their weight in their chosen range is enough of a reward of course, every day is a victory with the right mindset.

The only thing that was a slight surprise to me was that my maintenance calories ended up higher than either the numbers or rate of loss predicted. Good news!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yiur current deficit is too steep. With only 5-10 lbs to lose it is most healthy to Target 250 cals or .5 lb per week. This helps you retaining muscle & have a healthy nutritional calorie range. Transition to maintenance then will consist of adding a snack each day or an extra treat meal each week. Good job with the loss!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Yiur current deficit is too steep. With only 5-10 lbs to lose it is most healthy to Target 250 cals or .5 lb per week. This helps you retaining muscle & have a healthy nutritional calorie range. Transition to maintenance then will consist of adding a snack each day or an extra treat meal each week. Good job with the loss!

I was thinking the same thing. I have been at half a pound for the last ten and still have 5 to go. It is tempting to speed it up but I don't want to lose any more muscle than I already have. Of course in my case I am older and only get 1290 calories a day so I can't go any lower anyway.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I decided today to decrease my deficit to 250. I'm training for my second half marathon in November, and it's probably going to be more pleasant on a smaller deficit. I guess it still hadn't hit me that I'm to the point now where I'm losing vanity weight now and it really won't make too much of a difference in the long run if it takes me 15 weeks instead of 7 to lose 7 more pounds.

I was about to support your steepish deficit until I read this. Fuel your body for the demand you are placing on it :)
  • H_Dubbs
    H_Dubbs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation, just a few pounds (hopefully 2 weeks) away from starting to maintain. A little gun shy as I had success with MFP, left and stopped tracking, eventually gaining back 15 of the 40 lbs I lost. Now I am on the cusp of a total loss of 50. This time I will continue to log.

I am extremely active, including weight training with a trainer and I want to continue this level of activity. I am nervous about the future. Enjoying the suggestions in this thread so far and looking forward to more.

Would be open to becoming friends with fellow maintainers.

My main concern is eating back the activity calories. Somedays it's well over 600 for a workout. I can't imagine eating that many extra calories, especially since I want them to be "healthy" calories and not junk.
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Very helpful post as I'm on the cusp of transitioning to maintaining. I hit my initial goal weight (154 lbs- am 5'8") a few days ago but have decided to set my goal range about 5-10 pounds lower so want to gradually settle into a maintenance plan. I'm worried about putting it all back on again so think I will need to continue to track long term. Finding it hard to take the plunge and reduce my deficit as it has been rewarding to see the lbs come off as a steady rate.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the post same position I'm 5'5" at 135 aiming for maintenance range of 125-130 so in for the tips :)

I was linked to a interesting maintenance vid from Martin Macdonald, he has a slightly different view that you should diet as aggressively as you can that is sustainable for you (emphasis on sustainable) to hit maintenance levels as quickly as possible. His basic argument is that if you had two dieters, one losing slowly for 20 weeks one losing twice as fast and hitting maintenance 10 weeks early, you would see better results for the latter in body composition after the 20 weeks, even though they may have lost more lean mass than the slower dieter initially.

Please watch before you hit the woo button everyone ;) I know it sounds woo or bro-science but he makes a great study based case and think its a great watch for debate regarding losing and maintaining for those of us at that stage or those interested in questioning the usual transition to maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhLIsFFsPAA&t=1319s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx4npV4IV3s

What's peoples thoughts? :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My maintenance calories ended up higher than I thought they would based on calculators and my own weight loss results. I think when I upped calories, inadvertent movement increased...fidgeting and whatnot...my workouts were also better and I think I was getting more out of them in regards to effort than I was when dieting.

It took me awhile to hit my maintenance number and just kept losing even though my calories were going up.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My maintenance calories ended up higher than I thought they would based on calculators and my own weight loss results. I think when I upped calories, inadvertent movement increased...fidgeting and whatnot...my workouts were also better and I think I was getting more out of them in regards to effort than I was when dieting.

It took me awhile to hit my maintenance number and just kept losing even though my calories were going up.

that's what I found...my maintenance calories have been slowly creeping up
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Following along as I am in the same boat. 3.5 lbs away from my goal weight, then onto recomp!