Are My Goals Achievable?

Options
Hi there! I'm a 24 year old female, 5'3" and 150 pounds. My weight loss journey began after going from 125 lbs to 190 pounds in less than 4 months my first year of college. During college I spent almost all my time studying and dealing with depression so I had almost no motivation. It wasn't until I left college and got a more physically demanding job that the weight came off. Over the course of a year and a half, I've gone slowly from 190 to 145 although I gained back 5 pounds since going back to school this summer. In the past 6 months I have felt more motivated towards my goals and have been walking twice a day and watching what I eat. I sort of feel like walking isn't enough for me so I'm about to start going to a gym with a friend so I can learn about weight lifting. I've been trying to lose weight slowly to avoid sagging skin, particularly in my boobs and so far it appears to be working. My goal is to go from 150 to 125 by Christmas. Is this a feasible amount of time to reach my goal weight in a healthy way?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, I don't believe it is.

When you start lifting, you likely will experience some water retention. It is normal and as long as you are eating a deficit you will continue to lose fat, but your scale loss will slow or stall for a bit. In addition, you are going to be hungrier. If you are using an MFP-generated calorie goal, you should be eating your exercise calories, or at least a portion, and if you are using a calorie goal from a TDEE calculator you should still expect to eat a bit more once you are more active.

At your current size, losing between a half a pound and a pound a week is likely going to be comfortably sustainable. Twenty-five pounds in three months is at least twice that rate. My suggestion is to aim to lose in a comfortable sustainable manner while lifting and improving your physique and even if you lose only 10 pounds in the next three months, you are going to see a huge difference in the mirror.

Best of luck to you.
  • karoy92
    karoy92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will keep this in mind. Thanks!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Something to help you not get discouraged if the scale isnt moving fast enough is to take measurements! Especially if you want to start lifting. The tape measure doesnt lie, so even while your weight fluctuates on the scale you can know you are still getting smaller.