Common running foot problem?

Options
I have recently began running and I am up to about 4 miles 4x/week. I have never been a runner before, so this is all new. Is it common for toe nails to fall off from running? By big toe recently lost it's nail. I never knew it, there was no pain associated. So I want to think it was not a fungus or infection, I know those can be painful.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    IF your shoes are too short, toenails suffer. Usually a nail gets black before it falls off. Make sure you keep your toenails clipped. You probably need a longer shoe. Feet swell when you run. Plus a lot of shoes run a bit short.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    While it's not uncommon for runners to lose a nail or two (it's almost a rite of passage) it is uncommon at the distances you're doing (it's not usually until the mileage is piling up to run a marathon or longer - I've run numerous half marathons and haven't lost one yet)

There may be several reasons why you've lost one so early in the game. The first thing that comes to mind is that your toenails are too long, runners typically keep their nails quite short. The next thing is that your shoes don't fit properly, they're wither a bit small and putting pressure on your big toenail or allow your foot to move too much again rubbing against the toe box.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've been running for almost fifteen years and I've never lost a toe nail. I can happen when your nails are too long or your shoes don't fit properly, but I've never heard it happening at the low mileage you're running.

I wear a size 8 in street shoes, but my running shoes are usually 9.5, sometimes 10. Be sure to get fitted by a professional.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a little worried about the loss of sensation. How are your blood sugar numbers?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Can you see a new nail trailing behind it? Usually they turn black before they fall off. Need at least 1/2 inch between the top of shoe and your toes when you get fitted for them. I can't got up a 1/2 size in shoe or the rest of the shoe does not fit, but I look for wider/bigger toe box shoes to handle the swelling my feet do during running and also keeps blisters away. A couple that come to mind are Brooks Ghost and New Balance V860 (neutral shoe).

Tip that works for me is Gel or Shellac varnish. Been running long distance 3 1/2 years have not lost one yet!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's not common at those distances. As others have said, check the fit of your shoes. They should be sized up a bit from your normal streetwear (my running shoes are a full size larger than what I normally wear).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Very unusual at such a short distance.

I've had black toenail, as a result of lots of steep, rocky, downhill, but never lost the nail.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I've heard that this happens if your shoe is the wrong size.
    In general, running shoes are a half size larger than everyday shoes. Are your shoes the correct size?
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I buy my running shoes a full size larger that my regular street shoes. I got fitted at a running store, and that was very helpful! They did a quick gate analysis, asked me about where I run (trail, pavement, etc.), how many miles per week, goals, etc. to help me find a shoe that was suited for my feet and running goals. I usually wear a size 7 in street shoes, but I ended up with a size 8 in the shoes I bought. The store said that specific brand tends to run small, and they also mentioned having about 1/2 inch of space at the end of the shoe.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I too think that is a little weird that you lost a toe nail when you run only four-mile runs.
    I do not think I have ever lost a toe nail running, so I am wondering if there isn't something unique about your gait that makes you toe jam up into the toe box. Maybe?
    But more than likely, your shoes are just too small. Go get fitted. And I, personally, would not worry about the swelling. I know they say feet swell when you run long distances. But mine have never swelled inside my shoe to any degree that was notable at all.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    In general, running shoes are a half size larger than everyday shoes.

Very much depends on the model of shoe and how the toe box is configured in relation to the rest of the shoe. I'd note that none of mine are larger than my normal shoes, and in practice if they were I'd be more liable to get black toenail as my foot would slide in them.

fwiw the recommendation is generally for those running marathons or more as the foot can splay over 2-3 hours. It shouldn't be happening for someone who's only running short distances.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I lost a little toenail after walking a 10k once. It was cold and I wore an extra pair of thin socks that I usually don't do. I think a seam rubbed against my toenail on one foot, I never stopped to fix it, and it became bruised and eventually fell off and regrew. I hear that longer distance runners have toenails fall off all the time.
  • tiffanyrandazza
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking it wasy shoes, they are "running shoes" but nothing special. I have very flat feet and I will go getting fitted properly. I am excited that I have finally gotten into running and I do want to work up to the longer distance, but I want to be able to sustain my foot health too!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking it wasy shoes, they are "running shoes" but nothing special. I have very flat feet and I will go getting fitted properly. I am excited that I have finally gotten into running and I do want to work up to the longer distance, but I want to be able to sustain my foot health too!

I suggest you get your hair anylisis and fitted....well worth the money! Likely your shoes are too small. You usually want a size bigger in running shoes
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I suggest you get your hair anylisis and fitted....well worth the money! Likely your shoes are too small. You usually want a size bigger in running shoes

hair analysis?! LOL (auto correct I'm sure) >:)