Can someone (specifically any RN or HR pals out there) help

Options
MisMolly
MisMolly Posts: 88 Member
Ok, I know this isn't what MFP is for...but this is about meeting a goal which means less stress and more financial freedom which will help me eat better and continue to work on being a happier, healthier me. So I think it should be allowed. I know, I know, I am stretching it a bit there, but here it goes:
I have an interview for a new grad RN position in the PICU of a reputable teaching hospital tomorrow. I should be excited, right? Doing a little "Sweet, score, touchdown, homerun!" dance a the thought of this opportunity. But I am not. Because I am bad at interviewing. I think. I have had three other interviews for jobs that I would have loved to have since taking my boards and felt that the interviews went well. I didn't get any of those jobs. I would love some advice on what to say to show my enthusiasm and stand out from the crowd without coming across like the desperate goober I am or to hear some thoughts on what I could be doing wrong. Please!

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    im a nursing student thats going to graduate next year so im interested in hearing the responses to this topic!
    why do you think you don't interview well?
  • RB411
    RB411 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Walk into that interview and OWN it. Treat the interview as if you already have the job, you know what it's all about, and let them in on what you are looking forward to the most about the new job. Enthusiasm and confidence are a sweet combination. Good luck.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just show that you're interested. That while you're new to nursing, you want to be able to learn on the job and grow into the career. Be honest with what your goals are in this area. PICU is a hard spot to start out, so you have to be willing to show that you are going to go that extra mile to keep and stay up to speed with the other nurses that have worked there for years.

Best of luck to you. It's always great to have more of us in the work force!
  • 194Days
    194Days Posts: 16
    Options
    In a lot of interviews I have given (while not this specific career type), one thing that stands out about bad interviews is how little the person knows about the position or company he or she is interviewing for... be exicted for working at THAT place and know how your strengths tie diretly to their mission and purpose... do your research and personalize your expertise to the needs of the organization...
  • Rickie_Raver
    Rickie_Raver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have an interview on Tuesday :) What I like to do before the interview is go over the job description with a fine tooth comb... pulling out all the little details of what is expected in the new job. I then go over my resume and fit my experience with the job description. It is nice to come up with a few stories about how your experience fits the essential duties and responsibilities of the new job. It makes a lasting impression if you can relate the job duties with real life experiences; not just a generic answer. I hope this helps and good luck :)
  • kelticrn08
    Options
    Any time I was out there interviewing, I came prepared with a few questions to ask throughout the interview. Know a little bit about the hospital or more specifically the unit. Looking back at other interviews, was there ever a question they asked you that you weren't quite sure to answer? Have a few goals in mind. How you could benefit the unit: team work attitude? eager to learn? any special skills? What are you doing between these interviews? Do you have any experiences to share based on what they might ask (i.e. how you handled a difficult patient or patient family member? what worked, what you learned from it [what didn't work].). I've been on the other side of the desk/table. It's ok to show things you need work on. I've interviewed "perfect" people to the job, but lacking in personality or reachable goals. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • Serpymatt
    Serpymatt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'll be graduating my RN program next Spring, but have talked with friends and interviewed as a CNA.

My advice is, is the PICU something your interested in? If so, let them know that. They have many interviews probably, and it will be the ones who stand out that make the impression. Ask them questions - there's usually a part in the interview where they want to know if there's anything you would like to know. Ask things that show interest in the job/teamwork - how long have they been doing the teaching program, how large are the teams you will be working with, that type of stuff.

If you feel you have a bad interview, don't sweat it. A friend of mine had an interview this past Spring and she was worried because she was in casual wear and everyone else was in suits and looking VERY professional. I told her not to worry, that probably made her stand out in the minds of the panel. She got the position :)

When it all is said and done, remember it is about the patients first, and find a way to let them know you know that. You can talk about technical skills until you're blue in the face, but people skills can make a real difference.

Good luck! :)
  • MisMolly
    Options
    I am not comfortable about tooting my own horn and don't highlight my accomplishments well or I push myself to do so, and feel fake and like I am bragging and they can see right through me. I can't really seem to balance showing my personality and enthusiasm and being poised and professional. I just hate the entire feeling that an interview has...like I have to spout off the "right answers," and not just say what I want to say. It all feels very rehearsed and artificial to me.

Edit:

I think the biggest hurdle for me is that I AM a new grad and feel that I have so much yet to learn that it is hard to confidently say that I am the best for the job. I know I will be great nurse (I was a great PCA and a great nursing student) and I have people skills, but I just wish I could get a job, build my technical skills, and then have confidence in my abilities. Then it would be easy to walk into an interview and own it.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student, so I have not graduated yet, but in the spring I interviewed for a scholarship from a hospital system that includes a three-year job commitment after graduation, so to me that was basically a job interview (I got it, or I would not be offering advice). First, strike the desperate goober thing--desperate makes people uncomfortable. I think it's OK to admit that you are nervous, but try for relaxed and confident. My attitude was that I would love to work for xx, but I was going to be an amazing nurse for some health care organization no matter what. Since you have no experience, focus on your school achievements and the things you have done or experienced in life that you think will translate well to nursing. And yes, know the company--at least look for the mission statement, core values, or something like that online. I wish you luck in your interview!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Well... I'm not an RN nor am I in HR but I am a manager that has to do all of my own interviewing and hiring. I'm sleepy today so this won't be very in depth but one thing that comes to mind is make sure you actually answer the question that they ask. I have a lot of people say all kinds of things when I ask them a question, but they never answer the real question. Good luck!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Do you have a friend that could interview you as practice? There's a lot to be said for being comfortable. You need to be able to speak to both your strengths and weaknesses. When people tell me they do most everything well I start questioning them. Nobody's perfect, and nobody is good at everything. I just want to know that the person I'm bringing in realizes that they have room for improvement. I also want to know that they are confident enough that they won't get walked on by others around here.
  • MisMolly
    Options
    You guys rock! Thanks for all the advice and thoughts! It all seems really helpful!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the job market is really tight. The reason you didn't get those other jobs may not have as much to do with your interviewing skills as that there was just someone else with more experience who fit the job better than you did.

That said, I will echo the sentiment that you need to walk into that interview as though you already have the job and you're just explaining how your skill set and attitude are going to be a perfect match. Do your homework on the facility and ask a clarifying question or two which shows you have knowledge about the place. ("I understand that this is the top rated facility for ____. What kinds of things are being done to keep on the cutting edge?")

Keep in mind that hiring managers are often looking for the right person, not necessarily the person who has the right skill set, but someone who has the right attitude. They want someone who will fit with the corporate culture and get along well with the other people there. I've done a fair bit of hiring and I'd rather hire someone who is less experienced but open and friendly than someone who has 15 years experience but is condescending and rude.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've been an RN for 10 years. My suggestion as a new grad... be completely honest in saying that you know there will be lots to learn but you are ready for the challenge. One thing that used to annoy me about new grads is that some of them were at bit cocky... they'd walk in as if they knew everything already making them less teachable. Your interviewer knows you are green... sell youself a someone who is smart, motivated, and ready to learn. I LOVED when new grads would come in with that attitude. I would take those people under my wing and encourage them. If they walked in cocky and did not respect me as the seasoned professional and charge nurse on the floor... they were there to sink or swim on their own...
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    In a lot of interviews I have given (while not this specific career type), one thing that stands out about bad interviews is how little the person knows about the position or company he or she is interviewing for... be exicted for working at THAT place and know how your strengths tie diretly to their mission and purpose... do your research and personalize your expertise to the needs of the organization...

Agreed. Not my field. But knowing learning enough about the company's goals to be able to confidently and accurately speak to how they align with your own is very attractive. I also like when people are able to ask me intelligent questions about my organization and how/why we do things. I know that they were smart enough to do their homework beforehand and smart enough to continue to think about what they read.

Good luck!