It is time: the eating must change...

Options
cprobertson12
cprobertson12 Posts: 90 Member
edited September 2017 in Motivation and Support
Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time.

I'm going to ramble a bit here - this is going to be a bit of a critique of myself - trying to be impartial but reasonable - I'm putting it up here so I can get some feedback. I'm also putting it out here as the idea that other people will see my rambling makes me formalise it better than me simply making a list to myself - it is a way to convince myself rather than other people, and who knows - it might even help somebody in a similar situation to me.

It is time that I lost some weight. I have let myself slide - I was good for a bit during the summer, and then some **** went down, and I learned lots of bad habits - junk food abound, and not being offset from exercise - and now, I have a paunch - yes I'm looking at you, belly!)

I was lucky when I was younger - I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted, and my metabolism was high enough that I didn't put on much weight, if any. I never really learned to eat healthily - I just ate... whatever, really.

Now I simply don't have that luxury - I was good for a while, as I mentioned, and then one of my friends died, another friend had a nervous breakdown (and I moved in with them for a few months), another friend took seriously ill, and then I broke up with my GF (wow - now that I've listed that out, that's quite a run of bad luck! Ha! Glad I'm not a pessimist ;)).

Things have calmed down a bit now at least - but the bad habits remain: lets analyse them for a moment...
  • "I can't be bothered cooking" - auch jeez, really? - takeaway ordered - 3000 calories, easily.
  • "I feel bad so I'll have something greasy and fatty" - takeaway ordered - 3000 calories, easily.
  • "I feel bad and I need some basic groceries so I'll get some chocolate when I'm out" - junk food purchased - 500 calories.
  • "I can't be bothered preparing sandwiches in advance" - 2x bacon and potato scone rolls ordered at work - 500 calories, maybe more...
  • "I'm hungry!" - GIANT portion of food because eating is fun - 2x the portion size that's actually needed - 500-1000 calories extra

Well - right away, we can see some things that can easily be reduced, or maybe even eliminated. Just as Rome wasn't built in a day, studies (which studies? I can't remember - I'll look them out again if anybody is interested - they were all on pubmed) have indicated that abruptly trying to change a person's lifestyle... does not work. You can't just force a change to happen - if you do, it may work for a bit, but then the majority of time, patients relapse. Sure, it may work in some people - but not the majority. Thanks to survivorship bias, if you only listen to the people it worked for (anecdotal evidence) you won't get the bigger picture. I am a scientist (nice appeal to authority there ;)) and I'm trained at assessing data - and the data suggests that small, consistent changes are the most effective - we're trying to alter a lifestyle for the better - not turn it on it's head and ram vegetables down it.

Let's break our earlier list down: we can summarise that list as: "Psychology" - which isn't actually that helpful, so we'll break it down a little again.
  • Association - feeling bad? Clearly a takeaway is the answer!
  • Laziness - can't bothered cooking? Takeaway. Can't be bothered making sandwiches for work? BACON!
  • Portion control - want food? Well more food is better, obviously!

We'll tackle these one at a time:
  • Ease - let's make takeaways harder to get - goodbye Just-Eat.co.uk! We'll close the account, and place a block on the router so I just can't get onto it. Now if I want junk food, I'll need to go out and get it.
  • Association - well, this one is a little difficult to attack - how do you break a mental association? Well, it turns out that it's hard - low mood happens - bad day at work? Soaked on the way home? Sheesh - how can we make ourselves feel better without eating crap? Let's associate it with something else! Um... okay... let's focus on a pastime instead of eating - there's no reason we can't enjoy food - but lets not use it as a panacea (because it's not!). I have an electronics lab in my house - let's build something after a bad day - a creative outlet. Alternatively, we could do something else we enjoy - in my case, it'd need to be something involved like playing a game or creating something or just working on something like DIY - passive entertainment where you sit and do nothing while watching something (like, watching TV or sitting and listening to music) just doesn't cut it for me - I must be doing something while I entertain myself - but that's just me!
  • Laziness (dinner) - which ties into the "ease" problem: we've made it harder to get food by blocking just-eat, now let's make it easy to get healthy food. Well, to start with, just food that's not terribly unhealthy. Premade and batch meals that are frozen would be a good idea (like a big pot of soup - at least ten portions in there. Curry, again, four or five portions - eat one and freeze the excess. Sorted. Make it in advance, maybe once a month, and stock up. We can also have some processed food in there - chips, a few breaded chicken breasts, that sort of thing - but that musn't be the mainstay of the food - just something for when time is short and I cannot be bothered doing anything else - we'll ensure this by only allowing for maybe 4-8 portions a month (1-2 times a week).
  • Laziness (lunch/breakfast) - as I mentioned, I'm terrible for going into work and saying "hmmm! Bacon and potato scone roll please! Two of 'em! Ooh, yeah, that's the stuff" - let's cut that out. How? Well, we'll make sandwhiches in advance and freeze them! I know what you're thinking - "Ew" - well there are many sandwhich-materials that can readily be frozen - my favourites are peanutbutter and jam, and ham - to avoid making them super-soggy, freeze the bread first - and then make the sandwhich out of the frozen bread - this way the bread remains frozen. On the day, take it out of the freezer and it's defrosted by the time you're at work. I know this because I've done it before, but fell out the habit.
  • Portion control - this, I know, is a big problem for a lot of people. We eat too much even when we don't eat often. "Dinner plates" from a few centuries back are what we'd call "side plates" nowadays. Yeah. Seriously. We have too much food! So - to start with - let's dial back the portion size, while making it look bigger - muahahha! Psychology to the rescue! Studies (again I can't remember which ones, but I'll look them out if anybody wishes - all on pubmed and the BJM) suggest that something very simple - like cutting things up into smaller pieces - increases satiety. Likewise, making them into a soup/broth/hotpot does the same. Decreasing the size of the plate (less empty space visible) shows some promise too. So - let's use side plates instead of dinner plates, and use half-sized baking trays when cooking to avoid accidentally making too much (except when we want to deliberately make too much in order to make extra portions and freeze them.

But how can we track progress? Well, simple - we'll log all our food! By logging we become aware of just how much crap is being consumed - I've done it before with relative success - and I'll do it again. Track everything. Consistency is key!

Penultimately, we come across the biggest factor in weight loss - exercise. If you exercise enough, you can in principle eat as much as you want and not gain any weight. In practice, this is hard, unless you're an athlete and regularly exercise for 8 hours a day... but most people dont. I walk 25 miles a week - roughly 2.5 miles, twice a day - which isn't bad. It accounts for around 400 calories according to various calculators - and usually takes me 40 minutes to complete - but not everybody has this luxury of being able to walk to work; so I can't really advise on this matter for others - there are lots of little tricks you can use (taking stairs instead of the elevator/escalator, getting off the bus a stop or two early, cycling instead of driving, etc) to exercise without really trying - and if you want to explicitly dedicate part of your day to exercise, then the gym or swimming pool, going for a run/job, etc is probably right up your alley (and you probably already knew this!). I will probably not be explicitly exercising - as in going out of my way to do it - but with my 5-miles of walking per day I might be able to get away with it.

And finally - we have the crux of the entire endeavour - motivation. I am going to walk the west highland way next year - 108 miles (in five days) - I've done it before - but I weighed less then; my goal is to lose 10-15kg by mid June next year - which works out to 38 weeks - roughly 0.4-0.5kg a week - which is readily accomplishable - IF - and ONLY if I make some serious lifestyle changes - starting with dumping that habit of eating takeaways

So what are your opinions of this? Any suggestions or hints? Does anybody else have this problem? How did you tackle it?

Replies

• BunnyDish
    BunnyDish Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you've taken the time to really own your situation, what led you to it, and have put it all out there. That's a huge first step so congrats and welcome to the start of your journey.

I think much of what you say sounds very logical and sensible. As you said, Rome wasn't built in a day so making small changes that STICK is the key. Sounds like you'll be completely aware of your habits and smart enough to break them ;)

The only thing I'd personally say is, as you get further into your journey, don't discount the importance of building up some good habits around exercise and holding yourself to account for it. Even a little bit here and there. I'm a firm believer that a diet by itself is a less resilient plan for longer term health vs. (say) a plan with an equal amount of focus and calculated effort spent on exercise + diet.

Anyhoo I wish you luck getting started! I've recently started too so feel free to add me :)

• BunnyDish
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Oh and PS: the takeaway thing! Yes I can totally relate. I went through a period like that years ago.

I found the things that helped me were:
    (a) doing my budget and seeing how money I was eating in takeaways, (I use YNAB for my budget, it's great fun) and
    (b) I started buying whole foods at the farmers market each weekend then cooking huge stock pots full of food for the week ahead! Especially in winter... It's amazing how far a pot of soup or chili goes!

Hope this helps :)

• cprobertson12
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Ha - that was part of what prompted my rambling ;) in fact, I'll just demonstrate how bad it is: this is an excerpt from my expense tracker - the "Crap (Unnecessary)" category to be exact... you'll notice that only one item in the last two months wasn't junk food (some rucksacks) - so that was £124 in August and £107 so far this month... Holy moly!

j6eygpffla52.png

Really puts things in perspective... only one item in the last two months wasn't junk food (some rucksacks) - so that was £124 in August and £107 so far this month... Holy moly! As I said - things must change ;)

I'm going to start rigorously tracking my food - and I'll see if I can't find somebody who will audit my diet once a and chastise me if I'm being a fatty ;)

I've made some group-texts, just waiting for people to report back if they can be bothered or not xD

--edit--
    I should probably start tracking my coffee intake as well... I drink four huge mugs of it a day at work and it can't be good for me... I mean, realistically speaking it might not be that bad for me - it's the excess - the dose makes the poison!
  • BunnyDish
    Options
    Omg that's SO similar to what I saw when I looked at my own budget years ago lol! How uncanny! I was living in Scotland at the time and found the takeaways got waaaay out of hand lol. No idea why...

I'm back in New Zealand now, which helps because takeaways are so effing expensive here I'd be looking at bankruptcy if I re-developed that habit lol. Good wine however... is far too cheap lol. I've become quite the lush.

You're definitely on the right track. Get a bunch of folk on your MFP list who can watch how you are doing. Sometimes just the mere thought that someone else is watching helps.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm sorry for all the loss and struggles you encountered in such a short period of time. I think you have a really good grasp of what got you to this point and how to change course.

It may just be semantics (and personal definition / word usage) but the only thing I'd say about your OP is the "crux" being motivation. Motivation itself is fleeting and can't be relied upon. Habits and a sustainable lifestyle change CAN be. However, you mentioned the walk you're planning on doing as your "motivation" so if that is your reason or your "why", then yes, I agree.

Either way, I think your post was insightful and that you're on your way to positive changes!
  • cprobertson12
    edited September 2017
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm sorry for all the loss and struggles you encountered in such a short period of time. I think you have a really good grasp of what got you to this point and how to change course.

It may just be semantics (and personal definition / word usage) but the only thing I'd say about your OP is the "crux" being motivation. Motivation itself is fleeting and can't be relied upon. Habits and a sustainable lifestyle change CAN be. However, you mentioned the walk you're planning on doing as your "motivation" so if that is your reason or your "why", then yes, I agree.

Either way, I think your post was insightful and that you're on your way to positive changes!

Ah, yes, I've been caught out by the semantics of the word "motivation" before - in this case though, I think I've been getting sloppy towards the end of my rambling - as you've said, habit/lifestyle are the most important factors (which I've broadly grouped under the umbra of "psychology").

I was sort of meaning that the psychology won't change unless I am motivated enough to start changing and to keep at it - rather than saying that the cornerstone of the entire endeavour being motivation itself.

Back to business - I was away on holiday at the weekend and didn't eat very well at all (BAD CALLUM) - I'm a kg lighter now though - coincidence I'm afraid (I haven't done anything to warrant weight loss - part of natural weight variation)

So, the regular food-logging starts now!

Aaaand...right away, I've skipped lunch and upset my calorie balance for the day. Nice. That needs fixing...

This brings up an interesting aside though - I think I'm going to log my weight daily - would be interesting to know how much my weight varies from day to day - it will also be some nice positive feedback once a trend starts to emerge.

I have heard that some people focus obsessively on their weight loss/gain - luckily I'm not that sort of person (for one thing, one's weight changes regularly - for instance my weight increases by 6 or so grams every time I take a deep breath (less if I'm higher up, or in a warmer climate) - and I weigh about 500g more from the coffee I've had this morning - minus some perspiration and vapour diffusion in the lungs.

In an ideal world I'd just live on some scales (I swear there was an experiment where a man spent 3 months on a bedroom set upon a pulley with a counterweight at the other end - all his food and waste was weighed and the difference calculated - it's one of the classic weight experiments except I can't find any mention of it anywhere and it's infuriating! The scales weren't particularly accurate, only to a few grams (which to be fair, given that a bedroom weighs about a ton, is pretty impressive)

ANYWAY - I'll weigh myself daily and plot the results on a graph - I might even modify my bathroom scales so I can transmit the weight automatically (or at least log it so that I can dump the measurements later) - apparently hacking a set of digital scales in this way isn't too difficult if you know what you're doing ;)
  • BunnyDish
    Options
    Lol Callum... you crack me up with your creative, marginally insane, commitment to your goal :)

Rather than hacking a dumb-scale (though sounds fun!) you could try one of the relatively cheap smart-scales out there. I use the Withings scale which is pretty good, though I suppose it wasn't cheap... but it doesn't just take my weight, it takes body fat %, temperature, CO2 levels in the room... LOTS of interesting bits of pointless data that I don't know what to do with :)

Besides, the Withings smart scale amuses me. One day it sent my phone a measurement for an "unknown" person who had stepped on the scale. The weight was 12 lbs, body fat was 2%, and the heart rate was 190 bpm... I couldn't stop laughing. Silly cat lol. :smiley:
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    Lol, I'm a mad scientist - never mind commitment - hacking stuff is what I do ;) That's a lie, I haven't hacked anything in ages - building stuff is what I do ;)

On the subject of fat analysis, I'd be wary of the accuracy of a set of scales (densitometry is the best way to go... but that takes time and a lot of resources) - the "body fat %" from scales measures impedance - which will vary depending on what you've ate and how hydrated you are - in fact, consumer reports no longer test such scales because of their inaccuracy =/ Case and point, your cat's 2% body fat is ridiculously low - it's probably closer to 15-30% depending on how fat it is. In fact, I reckon you could fool your scales by taking a measurement before and after taking a (long) shower - more moisture in your feet == lower impedance. Dang, now I'm curious to see if that would work...

Your local university sports centre should have a full workup available for £80-100 (or equivalent) - densitometry, fat distribution, VO2max etc, if you're interested - but it's debatable if you even need to know your body fat % :wink:

Anyhoo - I think I'm just going to go with the "notepad" method of weight monitoring - far simpler than hacking scales and far cheaper than buying new ones (which, tbh, seem pretty gimmicky - especially your CO2 and temperature measurement xD It'd be like measuring the length of your hair - sure, it's certainly doable - in fact you can measure hair length pretty accurately... but it's easily to change the length of said hair, and why would you even want to measure it :P)

Anyhoo - back on topic - week #1 has been more of a orientation week - getting in the habit of logging food again - I've had friends around (wed-->sunday) so my eating habits haven't been great - I'll start properly on Monday: I've made a loaf-load of sandwiches (about 2x weeks worth) and froze them - so I'll be sorted for lunches for a while, and after that thing should start falling into place :)

Anyway, coffee break over - back to work for me!