Advice for Increasing 5K pace

Replies

• caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    edited September 2017
    This all such great advice! What it is helping me learn the most that I need to approach this as I did weight loss by finding what works for me. Eventually I do hope to pick up some speed but I think I'll focus on completing a few more 5Ks and then try each suggestion for at least 8 weeks (intervals and then trying to increase distance) and run a 5K after each 8 week session. 100 pounds definitely didn't fall off overnight so I have to realize I guess that I'm not going to be Flash over night either lol!

Thanks so much everyone! I love this board! Keep it coming!

Monica
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    caramel827 wrote: »
    Eventually I do hope to pick up some speed but I think I'll focus on completing a few more 5Ks and then try each suggestion for at least 8 weeks (intervals and then trying to increase distance) and run a 5K after each 8 week session.

Can I make the suggestion that you try it the other way round, build your aerobic capacity, and then use intervals. To illustrate these are a few interval sessions that are appropriate to someone improving their 5K time.
    • 2 mile warm-up, 5 x 400 meters at 5k goal race pace with 100m slower rest, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2 mile warm-up, 4 x 600 meters at 5k goal race pace with 100m slower rest, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2-3 mile warm-up, 3 x 800 meters at 5k goal race pace with 200m slower rest, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2-3 mile warm-up, 6 x 400 meters at 5k goal race pace with 100m slower rest, hammer interval 6 as fast as you can, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2-3 mile warm-up, 4 x 800 meters at 5k goal race pace with 200m slower rest, hammer interval 4 as fast as you can, 1-2 mile cool down

You'll note that the most basic of those covers nearly 5 miles with the longest covering 8 miles.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Eventually I do hope to pick up some speed but I think I'll focus on completing a few more 5Ks and then try each suggestion for at least 8 weeks (intervals and then trying to increase distance) and run a 5K after each 8 week session.

Can I make the suggestion that you try it the other way round, build your aerobic capacity, and then use intervals. To illustrate these are a few interval sessions that are appropriate to someone improving their 5K time.
    • 2 mile warm-up, 5 x 400 meters at 5k goal race pace with 100m slower rest, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2 mile warm-up, 4 x 600 meters at 5k goal race pace with 100m slower rest, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2-3 mile warm-up, 3 x 800 meters at 5k goal race pace with 200m slower rest, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2-3 mile warm-up, 6 x 400 meters at 5k goal race pace with 100m slower rest, hammer interval 6 as fast as you can, 1-2 mile cool down
    • 2-3 mile warm-up, 4 x 800 meters at 5k goal race pace with 200m slower rest, hammer interval 4 as fast as you can, 1-2 mile cool down

You'll note that the most basic of those covers nearly 5 miles with the longest covering 8 miles.

And those would all be equally effective with half(or less) warmup/cooldown
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Doing intervals and weight training to build muscle is what really increases speed. (I may be too old for that!)

I'd be interested to read what that's based on?

It's always useful to read around coaching and alternative outlooks.

I looked up Lydiard on your recommendation. Very interesting. Mostly aimed at marathon distance, but perhaps applicable to improving 5k's as well. The point about building an aerobic base prior to interval training seems reasonable and is well taken.

Just like the OP, I mostly want to improve my 5k. I've been running 3-5 miles, but Iwill try adding in some even longer distances (however more slowly) and see if it helps my 5k performance.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I pretty much just run for fun now but at the finish line I am always looking at the clock.
  • MeanderingMammal

I couldn't, in good conscience, agree with you. The purpose of a warm up is to prepare for the workout and reduce the risk of injury. From a coaching perspective the originator is currently on an 8 minute kilometre. At the Parkrun I go to that would place her in the lower third of finishers, possibly even in the lower 20%. To get into a mid-pack finish I'd be designing a plan to get her to a 6 minute mile, so a 25% improvement. In truth, just going longer will do that in the space of about 6-8 weeks, but as we're discussing intervals let's pretend that's a more effective mode of training.

The sessions I've listed are the speed phase of a 5K plan, so building on an aerobic base of someone who's already able to cover 6 miles, having built up to that over the first four weeks.

So assuming that warm up/ easy pace is an 8 minute mile you'd suggest an eight minute warm up before adding 400 metres at 25% faster. That's quite a jump. I'd support a shorter warm up for a lower pace differential, but at that point you're in the realms of just adding distance anyway.

There is a point about balancing fatigue and development, as fatigue sets in running form diminishes and injury risk increases. Again a good argument to build the aerobic base before indulging in speedwork.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I am so thankful that I came across this thread. I am on my final week of my C25K. I had every intention of posting this exact same question sometime next week. My first 5K race (post C25K) is in about 2 weeks. My only goal for that race is to actually run the entire time. But after that I would also like to work my way to a better pace. I will definitely be looking into 10K training programs to help with that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Doing intervals and weight training to build muscle is what really increases speed. (I may be too old for that!)

I'd be interested to read what that's based on?

It's always useful to read around coaching and alternative outlooks.

I looked up Lydiard on your recommendation. Very interesting. Mostly aimed at marathon distance, but perhaps applicable to improving 5k's as well. The point about building an aerobic base prior to interval training seems reasonable and is well taken.

Just like the OP, I mostly want to improve my 5k. I've been running 3-5 miles, but Iwill try adding in some even longer distances (however more slowly) and see if it helps my 5k performance.

He himself had most success at that distance but the principles are present in the vast majority ofstandard plans. Matt Fitzgerald wrote a fairly turgid book, along with a significantly over-complicated planning schema.

In practice a competitive 5K plan will have similar mileage to a mid-pack marathon plan, but the distribution of sessions will be different. Entering at about 30 miles per week and peaking at 50-60 miles per week. A marathoner or ultra runner might do one speedwork session per week, about a 10 mile run, whereas a 5K focus might do two, equally up to 8-10 miles each.

Fwiw my own experience was that at the end of C25K I was doing a 32 minute 5K, by the end of B210K I'd knocked that down to 27 minutes. At the end of a Half plan I was down to 24 minutes. I've not really focused on 5K myself as I'm an ultra runner, so beyond HM I've not made much improvement. Down to about 22 minutes now and I don't see any potential at the moment.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Ditto's when you get to that point.

My only thought was if you meant still doing a form of jog reasonable / walk intervals.

If that was your intent, then keep that up while increasing distance as first improvement.
    If sprinting / walking - no.

Being able to hit an efficient form at faster pace is usually noticeable, even if just for some minutes at a time until you walk again, or even within a jog segment you speed up to feel for when that is, then walk.

Also - an interesting aspect to testing 5K frequently like that - if you are doing any logging or watching of HR - use your race avgHR if you got it - and try to match that on each test.
    You should see at same HR your speed goes up because you have become more fit.
    Just interesting aside.
  • stanmann571

I couldn't, in good conscience, agree with you. The purpose of a warm up is to prepare for the workout and reduce the risk of injury. From a coaching perspective the originator is currently on an 8 minute kilometre. At the Parkrun I go to that would place her in the lower third of finishers, possibly even in the lower 20%. To get into a mid-pack finish I'd be designing a plan to get her to a 6 minute mile, so a 25% improvement. In truth, just going longer will do that in the space of about 6-8 weeks, but as we're discussing intervals let's pretend that's a more effective mode of training.

The sessions I've listed are the speed phase of a 5K plan, so building on an aerobic base of someone who's already able to cover 6 miles, having built up to that over the first four weeks.

So assuming that warm up/ easy pace is an 8 minute mile you'd suggest an eight minute warm up before adding 400 metres at 25% faster. That's quite a jump. I'd support a shorter warm up for a lower pace differential, but at that point you're in the realms of just adding distance anyway.

There is a point about balancing fatigue and development, as fatigue sets in running form diminishes and injury risk increases. Again a good argument to build the aerobic base before indulging in speedwork.

Doing a 20 minute warmup for 10 minutes of work isn't just silly, it's counterproductive. Ditto for the cooldown, It's common, but that doesn't make it less silly or less counterproductive.

Speed work is speed work, and capacity building is capacity building, and there's no reason to do them on the same day.

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2017
    aemsley05 wrote: »
    Well done on your first 5k! I agree - increasing your distance will help you run 5k faster. I've also used intervals to get used to running at a faster pace, which seems to have helped my 5k timr. You may also be interested in doing some cross training - working on your core especially can help with your running performance too.

As an avid runner, running 5 days a week, I highly agree with this. When you're ready, start running a bit farther.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    do the bridge to 10k next . the best way to increase your speed is to run farther.

Agreed, but use the 10% increase rule, so you don't over train and end up injuring yourself. And while increasing distance is what I have always heard is the best, I have also heard that Fartlek training can help run time (but I think this is a more advanced training technique for competition runners).
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    You're doing it right, just keep going forward and listen to your body. You have a good plan and good ideas - just go for it and have some fun.

-- ten year runner
  • Doing a 20 minute warmup for 10 minutes of work isn't just silly, it's counterproductive. Ditto for the cooldown, It's common, but that doesn't make it less silly or less counterproductive.

Speed work is speed work, and capacity building is capacity building, and there's no reason to do them on the same day.

100% wrong.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I agree with MeanderingMamma about doing a good warmup before beginning intervals, both to increase total distance and to reduce risk of injury. It generally takes me about 1.5 - 2 miles before my body is completely warmed up. At that point, running becomes much easier and my pace improves. Trying to go fast too soon is likely to cause hamstring and other issues.
  • stanmann571

And is thus totally inappropriate for someone who's running a 40-42 minute 5k.

Doing a 20 minute warmup for 10 minutes of work isn't just silly, it's counterproductive. Ditto for the cooldown, It's common, but that doesn't make it less silly or less counterproductive.

100% wrong.

LIke I said... your opinion is common... it's also silly and counterproductive for a beginning runner who just ran a 40 minute 5K and is running less than 10 miles a week.
    I agree with MeanderingMamma about doing a good warmup before beginning intervals, both to increase total distance and to reduce risk of injury. It generally takes me about 1.5 - 2 miles before my body is completely warmed up. At that point, running becomes much easier and my pace improves. Trying to go fast too soon is likely to cause hamstring and other issues.

That may be true for you. It's not true for someone who's currently running less than 10 miles a week.

Doubling the distance run weekly is much more likely to cause injury for the person who asked the original question.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    These are great suggestions, can't wait to try them! Thanks everyone!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited September 2017

And is thus totally inappropriate for someone who's running a 40-42 minute 5k.

Which was the underlying point of illustrating what an intervals session means. I've already responded to you on this and highlighted that it's part of an improvement plan, and builds on a capacity development phase first.

For someone where the originator is the recommendation of interval training by the well meaning are wholly inappropriate.

I appreciate that we're coming from different places, your focus is on passing your annual fitness test. Personally I'll pass mine without getting out of warm up pace, but then my focus is on long distance. You run to pass the test.
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Great job on the 5k! I have been jogging 5k's lately as well, but have yet to do an event. Just keep going and it will get better :) You will see a time improvement the more that you do it!