Fruit...yay or nay?

Options
cheekyfilly
cheekyfilly Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Morning all!
Here's a debate I regularly have with my gym friends. One day I happened to mention that for breakfast i will have half a fresh mango with 100g 0% fat Greek yoghurt and a protein shake. And then if I need a snack in the day I will try and eat fruit or veg sticks. However someone argued that fruit is a no no as it is full of sugar "and we all know it is sugar that makes us fat". What is everyone's perspective on this? Should I kick the fruit or not?

Replies

• BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We need sugar to live... Yeah, too much of anything usually isn't good, but I noticed that I no longer crave sweets anymore after I incorporated fresh fruit into my diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The mango I've gotten in the US has invariably been disappointing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,943 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, and I lost 50 lbs eating anywhere from about 2-5 pieces of fruit a day. :) Just so happened that they fit into my calorie limit.

Now of course some fruit has more calories than others ... mangoes and pears, for example, are a bit on the high end. But mangoes are my favourite fruit, so when they come into season and they're juicy and delicious ... I make sure they fit within my calorie limit! :grin:

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nay for me as I have oral allergy syndrome. But in general it's fine.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I generally have the same opinion on sugar in fruit vs sugar I say a piece of cake. That one is better for you than the other. But I also, measure, weigh and log my fruit into my calorie intake for the day. Since I started my journey on MFP, I think swapping that bag of chips/Cheetos/piece of cake/brownie/cookie for say some strawberries, orange, banana or some sort of fruit for lunch is the reason I have been successful and have lost 45lbs to reach my goal. I have learned no matter what you eat moderation is the key.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The mango I've gotten in the US has invariably been disappointing.

When I lived in Arizona, I could get fantastic mangos. Since moving to Minnesota, no luck.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yay it is good and good for you and why do you need to watch sugar are your friends all diabetics?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Morning all!
    Here's a debate I regularly have with my gym friends. One day I happened to mention that for breakfast i will have half a fresh mango with 100g 0% fat Greek yoghurt and a protein shake. And then if I need a snack in the day I will try and eat fruit or veg sticks. However someone argued that fruit is a no no as it is full of sugar "and we all know it is sugar that makes us fat". What is everyone's perspective on this? Should I kick the fruit or not?

There are time where the only good response is STFU. Followed by a serious head shake and a walk away.

You know if you have an allergy or issue with fruit. To demonize it is going beyond ridiculous.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    CI>CO makes you fat... if you like fruit eat. Also I wouldn't listen to anybody who tells u that protein supplements are "better for you" than fruit
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight management. Sugar does not make you fat unless you eat more calories than it takes for you to maintain your current weight.
    Eat fruit if you want.
  • justnjoyable
    justnjoyable Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's not that fruit is a no-no, it's the amount of fruit as it relates to sugar intake. If you are using the MFP and watching your sugar intake reflected on there you might find it helpful and sometimes surprising...!!! :p