Is it really helping ?

Options
I recently started to walk about 10,000 steps a day and in about 2 weeks was able to push it up to 20,000 with no trouble at all and feel good about it. I weigh about 178 and my goal weight is 135lbs. First 10000 steps at 3mph and rest of steps I take it slower / varies.
I don't see drop in pounds (water weight) except 1 pound after I started to walk like others say. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong. I am also counting my calories and making sure I have calorie deficit from this week.
My question is how long does it take to see or feel lighter ? I am not sure if all my efforts are even working.
Loosing weight is one of my very main goal now. I have set myself up for something that could change my life for better and I don't want to fail.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Looks and feels is subjective, there is no way anyone can tell when you will notice a chance to how you look and feel. Numbers are hard facts: even though water weight fluctuations are involved - if you have a consistent calorie deficit, you will lose weight. 1 pound per week on average is a very good rate for you at your current weight.
  • kricard86
    kricard86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It took my friend one year to lose 10 lbs doing 10,000 steps per day EVERYDAY. This was with no diet change. It is effective, but it's a lifestyle change, and it does take time. With a calorie deficit, look at your myfitness pal goals. It will tell you how many calories you can eat to lose 1 or 2 lbs per week.
  • weighmeless
    weighmeless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's so hard get it started off in first place and to see no results is disheartening. I guess many people give up because of no motivation/faster results. For reasons, I am hanging tight there - there has to be some change for better ! It's too much of energy and time I am investing in it and still feel it's not enough at times
  • weighmeless
    Options
    @jen
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    The only exercise I currently do is walking.. I don't belong to a gym and would rather be outside walking during the nice weather than inside doing a video. Once Winter comes I'll move things inside. Anyway, I have lost weight steadily all summer with counting calories and just walking. It will work. It just takes time.. keep at it! I have noticed my calves and thighs are much more defined and stronger feeling now too.

Oh how I hate gym !! Can't stand those machine noises or the smell of sweat and driving there in itself is a big deal ! I love outdoors!

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's so hard get it started off in first place and to see no results is disheartening. I guess many people give up because of no motivation/faster results. For reasons, I am hanging tight there - there has to be some change for better ! It's too much of energy and time I am investing in it and still feel it's not enough at times

That's a great outlook to have and you are absolutely right. It's a slow process and it takes many days of consistency to lose weight! You'll get there!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My question is how long does it take to see or feel lighter ? I am not sure if all my efforts are even working.

Depends on your deficit. To lose 1lbs of fat you need to accumulate a deficit of 3500cal.
    But keep in mind that due to water retention the loss doesn't show on the scale immediately.
  • weighmeless
    edited September 2017
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Depends on your deficit. To lose 1lbs of fat you need to accumulate a deficit of 3500cal.
    But keep in mind that due to water retention the loss doesn't show on the scale immediately.

Yeap aiming for 1000 calories in deficit. It's been little over 1000 so far due to my 20000 steps a day
  • weighmeless
    Options
    with only 40lbs to lose, a 1000cal deficit is too aggressive - you should aim for .5-1lb deficit (250-500cal a day)

I am actually happy. Anything for weight loss. Honestly If you look at my food log, I am not starving. Just eating the wholesome food. :)
    For the first time being aggressive is making me happy hahaha
  • weighmeless
    Options
    Posting my today's breakfast .. I basically had an apple and later oats with nuts and fruits .. so added them as single food. Infact due to today's schedule, I am 25% done with walking where usually I would be 10000+ steps by now .. let know if I should modify breakfast. I generally don't do both but had to have both apple and other food because of schedule
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Don't measure your food by the diameter of it. You should be putting all your solid foods on a food scale and weighing it in grams to give you a more accurate calorie count. That alone can be distorting your deficit. All solids and semi solids weighed in grams, all liquids in cups and spoons (although I still even weigh those on the scale too using ml or oz).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Good on you, OP! I totally agree with you about enjoying the outdoors. I'm not a gym person either. And you've progressed really well!

Weight loss is mostly about what you eat. Exercise is great for your head and your body, but it gives you only a few more calories to work with, not a life changing amount. You will lose fat from your added exercise *IF* you keep your diet exactly the same. That is a big *IF*. Most people who add exercise subconsciously --without being aware of it-- start eating more. The only way to be certain is to log food/drinks as accurately as you can, with a food scale. Honestly, the food scale is worth its weight in gold for weight loss. Sooooo much easier that estimating or "measuring" any other way.