Why isn't the scale going down??

Options
So My starting weight was 287 and now I am 220 something! Reason I say 220 something it's because the scale goes from 220-229 in a blink of an eye! It's so frustrating and kills my motivation! Anyone on the same page as I am? And any advice? Please and thank you

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Libra is a weight trending app for AndroidI use it makes it easy to smooth the weight water fluxes.
  • Nubian89xo
    Nubian89xo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @KevannC it is so frustrating!! And it takes a few days to et back to my regular weight! Literally kills my motivation! You honking I should stay off the scale for a while and really go by how my clothes fit.
    Thank you
  • Nubian89xo
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Libra is a weight trending app for AndroidI use it makes it easy to smooth the weight water fluxes.
    only for android? Awn! Booo
  • KevannC
    KevannC Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @Nubian89xo Yes because the last month or so on the scale it seems like its going so slow only like 10lbs, but! Im fittinf into clothes that i had been too big for and its so exciting!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nubian89xo wrote: »
    amtyrell wrote: »
    only for android? Awn! Booo

Happyscale is another I think
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm no slave to the scale, but despite advice to the contrary I've found that weighing frequently and having daily numbers helps me understand my body better and quantify just how much up-and-down will happen (hint: a LOT). It also helped me break the fear/stigma of weight gain so that it no longer de-motivates me to see numbers go up a little.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    All of the above answers, plus if it is a digital scale, you might need to change the battery; at least that's what I did, and the scale seemed to work better. Congrats on your journey!
  • _Arty_
    _Arty_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Read up on the "whoosh effect". Just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about it! Awesome work by the way! :)
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up. If youve lost a lot of weight then you need to have mfp recalculate your goals. It will adjust your calories when it recieves a new starting weight
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sorry, its "current weight" under the goals screen. When you click it, MFP will say something about recalculating your calories
  • Tiamaria1010
    Tiamaria1010 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I don't let it get me down because my clothes fit me so nicely. When I don't drink enough the water, the scale is higher in the morning.
  • Nubian89xo
    Options
    @mywayroche I do all the time.
    Thank you. ☺️

• Nubian89xo
    Options
    @Perun57 I will definitely read up on it & thank you
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    All of the above answers, plus if it is a digital scale, you might need to change the battery; at least that's what I did, and the scale seemed to work better. Congrats on your journey!

Also - one thing I do is press lightly on one side to see if it's level. It should be stable and not wobble.
  • Nubian89xo
    Options
    @OHFlamingo how often do you change the batteries? And thank you ☺️
  • Nubian89xo
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I don't let it get me down because my clothes fit me so nicely. When I don't drink enough the water, the scale is higher in the morning.
    I wish I had the ability to not let it bring me down! Working on it ☺️

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Nubian89xo wrote: »
    I wish I had the ability to not let it bring me down! Working on it ☺️

One way to keep from letting the scale number let you down is to always remember that weight does not equal fat. I assume you are doing this for your overall health. When your body holds onto water, it usually does so for good reasons. If you are eating at a deficit it is impossible to gain fat. It not impossible to gain weight, however, particularly if your body decides to retain water. Retaining water, unless it's from a health condition, is a good thing and nothing to be worried about. You can gain up to 5 pounds of water in a day while losing 2 pounds of fat in a week (a lot). You will have gained weight and lost fat. See where this goes?

So if you are at a deficit for a given week and your weight is higher, you have nothing to worry about. You will have less fat than the prior week - guaranteed. Don't try to control your water retention (within reason). Your body does that naturally.

Go with what you know - not with how you feel. Trust the process.
  • Nubian89xo
    Options
    Perun57 wrote: »
    Read up on the "whoosh effect". Just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about it! Awesome work by the way! :)
    just read up on it and very interesting. I had no idea at all